Thread: First large caliber rifle for my boy

Default First large caliber rifle for my boy

My son (15) has decided that he is ready to make the investement. I believe he has settled on getting a 300 win mag or rem ultra. Something close that was a good deal would be considered.

My question is and the problem at hand, he needs a left hand rifle because his eyes are wired wrong . So I have a synthetic stainless remington that i guess is a BDL and they do not seem to offer that in a left hand model.

Do they and I'm missing it?

Any left hand recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

Also he is shopping and not opposed to used, so if you have something let me know thanks.

P.S. he is a solid 200 lbs (not over weight) and 6'1 so recoil and size are not an issue, unless a full size rifle is going to get to small for him.

Any experience with the above issues would be very appreciated.

I just checked the Remington website, and it would seem that you are correct. The lefties are "left out" of a lot of their models. They don't offer a stainless SPS or XCR in a left-handed version. You could get a SS custom KS Mountain rifle in either caliber, but it will probably cost you 3 or 4x what an SPS sells for. If you want a SS left-hand Remington 700 for your son, I think you are at the mercy of the used market.

You could get a non-stainless model (CDL) and have it coated, but it's just not the same, is it?

Remington did make a SS left handed 300 Ultra with the gray syn stock but it was discontinued a few years ago. They can still be found on the used market and sometimes you can still find them NIB. I had one but sold it before I ever shot it.
    Probably the best bang for the buck in a LH rifle at the moment is a SS Ruger. They can be had in 300 WM but not 300 Ultra.
    Tennessee

Take a look at gunbroker.com. Always a good deal there. Also, has your son shot a 300 Ultra Mag before? It's a very potent cartridge on steroids.

Thanks guys that is kinda what I am seeing. Any peronal experience from you left handed shooters?

Has your son shot one of these guns? Size has absolutely nothing to do with recoil tollerance, and starting him off with a gun that he doesn't enjoy shooting is a very bad road to head down. Seriously consider having himi shoot such guns before he commits. You can kill all AK game just as dead with a 30-06 as any 30 cal magnum. The only advantage the magnums have is at extended ranges, and most folks don't have the shooting skills and equipment to be shooting out there anyways. From what I see at the range, most folks are overgunned and underpracticed. I'm apalled at how poorly the general public shoots, and bigger guns don't kill any better when shots aren't properly placed.

There is nothing macho about recoil management, and size don't matter. There are scrawny 130# guys that shoot 375's like they are bb guns, and big 250# brutes that can't handle an -06.

When I was teaching my son to shoot firearms I brought him up gradually, starting with a 22 cal, then consecutively through these other calibers 410 ga/22 mag/223/20 ga/243/270/16 ga/12 qa/and now he will be shooting his 325 WSM. The reason I trained him up slowly is so he does not develop a "flinch". Which could have happened if I started him off with a larger caliber that has pretty good recoil. I think if your son insists that he starts with a larger caliber like the 300 Ultra I would advise that you train him up with good and proper shooting techniques so that he can learn to manage the recoil of the 300. It will also help with his shooting accuracy too.
    Personally I think a good 270 is a great first time larger caliber rifle for a older boy, I know that from personal experience.

I really appreciate the posts, all of the above concerns have been addressed. My son has been shooting large calibers for some time. He just has not owened one yet. I did not ask about caliber preference. E-mail has no tone of voice so bear with me while I try to clarify. He shoots his Grandfathers 338 accurately as well as my 300 remington ultra(braked). We are not talking about starting him off on anything here just about the best purchase. I am sorry I did not write the first post better.

Thumbs up

Here's what I found in LH rifles.

300WM:Browning; Stainless STalker/Medallion/BAR Longtrac
    Kimber; SuperAmerica ($$$$$$$$-WOW!)
    Ruger M77; MKII blued/stainless
    Savage 16/FS116; stainless
    Tikka; stainless
    Winchester; SXR semi-auto

300WSM: Benelli; R1 w/ comfortech semi-auto
    Browning; A-bolt Hunter/Medallion/Micro Hunter
    Savage; 16/116FS stainless
    Winchester; SXR semi-auto

Hope this helps a bit. They were at www.ableammo.com, in which I have NO affiliation with. They have ALOT of other calibers as well. Good luck....

I made a mistake in my previous post. Remington offered the rifle with the gray laminate wood stock, not the syn one.
    Anyhow, here is the most complete list of left handed rifles:
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ad.php?t=78711
    Tennessee

The easy answer to south paw rifles is to get a good single shot rifle, like the Ruger # one. Why anyone feels they need a repeater for hunting is beyond me, when the single shots are fast enough to reload.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    The easy answer to south paw rifles is to get a good single shot rifle, like the Ruger # one. Why anyone feels they need a repeater for hunting is beyond me, when the single shots are fast enough to reload.

I agree with Big Al, I shoot lefty in Ruger #1 30-06 is all anyone needs. I know its not as cool as some ultra mag but it will kill just as well without the bite back. Your son becoming a proficient shooter and being accurate is more important than having a cannon that he is afraid of and not able to shoot with a flinch.The 30-06 will do well stopping any animal in AK.

I wouldn’t recommend the 300 ultra mag. if you sight in your 06 right it will only have 5 inches of trajectory difference at 400 yards.

Default Thanks everyone

I appreciate all the responses. Several were very helpful as they pointed me in the right directoin to find the model we eventually settled on. I guess though, it was not real clear to most I was not looking for caliber recommendations except within the couple I mentioned. My son shoots a 300 REUM and a 338 accurately now. The kid has been shooting long guns since he was very young and shot a dear with a 270 when he was ten and progressed form there. My 300 REUM shoots like a dream and he started shooting that a couple of years ago. I experienced the over caliber flinching as a young shooter my self(graduated into a 300 win mag at 13 but with not enough time at the 223-243 and 270 range) and have kept my boys from that by starting them light early and comprehensively moving up as they were ready. I have a 12 year old who could put three 220 grain bullets out of a BAR chambered in 30.06 when he was 11. He took a buffalo that way. My REUM does not kick much if any more than that 30.06 with those rounds.
    My original post was meant to make it clear that he was looking under the same precept as if he was an adult shooter I am sorry it did not. It has been somewhat frustrating to see the thread come back to the size of bullet instead of the model of gun again and again. A lot of the posts were what I would have expected if I had asked for caliber recommendations for my new shooter. Regardless thanks for everyone’s help. And if anyone has a Left handed 700 LSS chambered in 300 REUM for sale, plz let me know.

P.S. I hate to think the tongue lashing he would have received if he himself would have posted. The redirection and lack of attention to the details I provided in my posts was discouraging and would have been doubly so for him.

Don't lose any hair over it . . .