Thread: Seward Beachs

Default Seward Beachs

Anyone been to Seward fishing from the beach or boat harbor last couple days?

I was there last friday and it was sllooowww all day. caught nothing but pollock.

Thumbs up Hmmmm Pollock?

Isn't that a great eating fish? Back east in New England, Haddock and I think Pollock were used for "Fish n Chips".

I don't think I would say it is GREAT eating. It's ok. White meat with absolutely no flavor. We fished off the culverts by the coal shoot though...I think that is where resurection seafoods pumps out thier ground up fish waste. I know I didn't want to eat them, but my buddy did. Plus pollock in bays have worms. (which while they cook up just fine, well makes me want to puke.)

In all fairness Pollock as it is caught in the bering sea of Gulf of Alaska is a fine eating fish. One of the biggest food sources of protien in all the world. I have just worked on way to many pollock boats I guess and seen to many things. (I still eat it as K-rab though)

Default Pollock

I agree pollock is an alright fish...if you're frying. It's the main ingredient in most store bought fish sticks. I've caught them down in Homer. They tend to be watery and some are full of worms, while others only have a few. The worms won't hurt if they are cooked, but some have almost more worms than meat.

They are easy to catch though, if you find a school it's easy to get a few for fresh halibut bait.

are you sure you weren't catching gray or pacific cod?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Polock is great halibut bait when fished live

Monkey I have never said you were a bad guy, but that question makes me wonder if you ever wonder if other people can think. Yeah I know the difference between Pacific Cod and Pollock. Give me some credit here.
    I would be willing to bet I can ID more fish from the pacific than you can. Care to wager? I have been on vessels on EVERY type in Alaska using EVERY legal gear type in alaska in EVERY single commercial fishery in Alaska (oops I never did observe on a scallop boat.). I did that for 10 years. Crab? check. P.Cod longliner? Check. PCod catcher boat trawler? check. PCod C/P trawler check. Flatfish catchter boats and C/Ps in the GOA and BSAI? Check. Atka Mackeral? Check. Sablefish? Check. Halibut, check. Pollock? Check. Salmon setnets in UCI, check. You get the idea. I have well over 1,000 sea day IDing fish on over 42 different vessels while at sea in alaska. So once again, yeah I know the difference. Thanks for the concern though.

Sometimes your drive me nuts.

Hey, relax Brownsfan, how's he to know your work history? (maybe they were really skinny P. cod, Mike??? )
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Wink Agreed

I agree. AK Powder please find a way to believe and not outdo us all. I don't like to post much because of all the I do better, know more stuff. You can always question, but please find a more appropriate way to ask or debate about things Etiquette!

Are you sure they weren't blackfish?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

ARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!! lol

Nick is right but powdermonkey DOES drive me nuts sometimes. I have hundreds of posts...I've talked about being at sea before....I post whenever I think I can help someone out...and.....ahh who cares!

Everyone have an AWESOME WEEKEND!! Monkey you too

I might catch me some perch out of Ship Creek this weekend. Or at least I think they were perch????????? Coulda been a trout.

Most salt water fish have worms of some type, including halibut.
    pete

Ahh the good ole blackfish. I am still trying to find a cheap fish tank.

Default Outfitting?

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    Monkey I have never said you were a bad guy, but that question makes me wonder if you ever wonder if other people can think. Yeah I know the difference between Pacific Cod and Pollock. Give me some credit here.
    I would be willing to bet I can ID more fish from the pacific than you can. Care to wager? I have been on vessels on EVERY type in Alaska using EVERY legal gear type in alaska in EVERY single commercial fishery in Alaska (oops I never did observe on a scallop boat.). I did that for 10 years. Crab? check. P.Cod longliner? Check. PCod catcher boat trawler? check. PCod C/P trawler check. Flatfish catchter boats and C/Ps in the GOA and BSAI? Check. Atka Mackeral? Check. Sablefish? Check. Halibut, check. Pollock? Check. Salmon setnets in UCI, check. You get the idea. I have well over 1,000 sea day IDing fish on over 42 different vessels while at sea in alaska. So once again, yeah I know the difference. Thanks for the concern though.

Sometimes your drive me nuts.
    Would you perhaps be free next May to conduct a Hooligan Dip Net type charter for the right price?

Default Shhhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Ahh the good ole blackfish. I am still trying to find a cheap fish tank.
    I kinda got busted once on this forum for talking about those little boys.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Huh? What? I never saw, read, or seen a darn thing. I feel left in the dark here............

Default Blackfish Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Yeah, Alaska Fish and Game busted down my door with a battering ram, and Anchorage SWAT team was outside dialed in, and confiscated my blackfish. Nothing gets past those guys.

Either that or they got flushed down the toilet. (Don't tell my kids, they think they are in fish heaven).
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Mine died last winter

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Yeah, Alaska Fish and Game busted down my door with a battering ram, and Anchorage SWAT team was outside dialed in, and confiscated my blackfish. Nothing gets past those guys.

Either that or they got flushed down the toilet. (Don't tell my kids, they think they are in fish heaven).
    I put a snail from a pet shop into the aquarium, and it must have had an infection.

My little boy and I thawed a place and buried them. Little Eskimo that he is, he later said, "Should we dig them up and eat them?".

Oops, maybe i said too much... Nothing gets past those guys.