Thread: Unit 13 bear

Default Unit 13 bear

I am trying to set up a hunt for grizz in unit 13 (soon). I have been seeing good reports and pictures. Anyone got any advice on where to go or can help me with where to go? Never been in that area. I would appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks alot
    Texhunter

anywhere high, get into the berries and be patient, sometimes bears take time.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thumbs up Denali Hgwy

Try around Butte Lake, in particular the ridges to the West (S. of the Highway). Over Labor Day there were 2 Griz foraging hard in this area, including one that was on a caribou gutpile within 24 hours. Unless someone offed him, he in particular was a nice looker. Blond with the dark "Koala Bear" eye rings-a beautiful animal actually. The other was a little further our and more of your typical chocolate color. I've seen quite a few in the last several years here where 5 years ago, say, we never saw Griz up here. In fact, two years ago we saw a big old boar chasing a group of 5 cow moose without calves throughout the course of the afternoon. Couldn't access him unfortunately (below treeline looking down through one hell of a boulder field, but given time......), cause I'm sure there was a reason none of these cows had calves with em'.

You'll probably need a wheeler unless you're willing to hike in about 3-4 miles (to spotting distance). Too bad we were headed home at dusk and on a time leash..........and no, we didn't shoot the caribou. Same old problem, I need to be unemployed!

Default unit 13 bear

Thanks alot for the information, hopefully i can get in there next weekend, after moose and caribou season and maybe get a bear to surrender . Well thanks for the info agian, and good luck hunting

texhunter

There's a huge grizzly about 15 miles north of mile 147 on the Glen. Some friends saw the tracks around their camp, but never saw it or any moose. The trail is swampy and nasty the first few miles, so if you go watch out for quick sand. That's what helped kill our hunting trip.
    Chris Willhoite