Thread: Off to the Koyukuk

Smile Off to the Koyukuk

My wife, son-in-law and I are leaving early in the morning for the DM830 Koyukuk moose hunt. First time there for us. In the last 2 weeks we have had a few obstacles. My wife had knee surgery, my 84 year old Dad had his gall bladder removed, my youngest daughter had a 5 day stay in the hospital due to a world class strep infection so her husband cancelled his trip with me to stay home and care for her and the three little kids. Through all of this everyone pulled together and did what they had to do so this trip would still happen. I am proud of them all. My other son-in-law will be going, he will be filming the trip and taking a bunch of pictures. This is not just a hunting trip, it is an adventure! We plan on stopping at Tanana where my wife was born 58 years ago. First time back for her. We will stop at Galena for fuel and if Sidney Huntington is still around we will try to visit him and see if he will sign his book, "Shadows of the Koyukuk". He is about 97 now. My wife's dad was a US Marshal before statehood and he told us a lot of stories about the Yukon. On the way back we are going to Nulato, walk up a hill and visit her Mom's grave. I have done about as much research and preparation for this trip as I can do. We have all the latest in high tech phones, cameras and gear. We are taking more good food then we can possibly eat. We will be sleeping on our 26' Alaskan Sea Runner. The cost of this trip will be worth every penney. I am going to look hard for a BIG MOOSE. If it does not happen there will be no regrets. We are going to hunt, fish, sight see, get tired, wet, dirty and sleep when we want. I still feel the excitement I felt 42 years ago when I shot my first moose and caribou on the same day. Except now I don't feel as though I have to shoot something to have a good trip. I must be getting old. I will let you all know how it went when I return.

Thumbs up what an adventure

Sounds like a great trip! I agree that the whole experience is more important than the harvest. Sharing an adventure like this with family and friends is priceless. Good luck. I look forward to seeing the photos upon your safe return.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default fun

the point is to have fun, a harvest of a moose is just the icing on the cake. Good luck, have lots of fun and more than anything be safe.

We flyout for our moose float on Friday

Good luck and god speed. I will be doing the same thing only next Sept. Isnt it remarkable that the older we become the fun a "hunt" becomes even if we do not bring home the game. I think a lot of it has to do with realizing how difficult it is to get everyone on the same schedule to make these complicated logistic trips possible.
    This may be one of the last great adventures for us old timers who have lived here forever and have yet to make the trip.
    Tennessee

Your wifes dad was a US Marshall along the Yukon and her mom is buried at Nulato.
    Was your wife's maiden name Trembley?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Good luck and hope you all have a great adventure .338 Mag! Sounds like you have done your share of planning and have overcame every obstacle that has been in your way so far.

Can't wait to see some pics and or video along with a writeup when you get back.

Hope to take my family on the Yukon next year.