Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would you?

Default would you?

Was out with a buddy that has an "any moose" permit. We see a cow with calf. Calf doesn't look likes it will be leaving momma anytime soon. We decide to pass.

I'm gunning for a calf this next week while out moose hunting. I'm looking forward to the meat!

Default I wouldn't

Quote Originally Posted by dangus View Post
    Was out with a buddy that has an "any moose" permit. We see a cow with calf. Calf doesn't look likes it will be leaving momma anytime soon. We decide to pass.
    Good Choice. I would do the same.

Default It all depends

It all depends on the area. If a draw hunt you really need to read your tag information and the draw hunt information on line to make sure what you can shoot.

DM788 used to be Cow 2 yr. older without calf. Now it is antlerless. Meanig it can be a bull with no antlers. You really need to read the regulations for the area or tag.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Have seen many calf moose wasted by hunters with calf permits. Permit holders killed calf, Mama would not leave and would charge anytime they tried to get close. After two days, calf was bloated, and Mama left. These guys then went farther down the trail and did the same thing over again. Mama moose would not leave till calf had spoiled.

In my openion there needs to be at least two permit holders so one can shoot the calf and the other can shoot the cow. Personally I won't waste a permit on a calf when I can shoot a full grown moose.

Default Can't pull the trigger

Took my boys for DM777 and we passed up 2 cows with calves, We later found a cow with no yunguns and got the tag filled. When I turned in my permit I talked with the biologist. The question I brought up was relative to the size of the cow would a calf live through winter. The response was a calf half the size of moma living in Fairbanks would probably make it. If the animals are out of town regardless of size the calf probably would not make it a month or two before bear or wolf got them. I told them that seemed like a waist of good meet, why not let me shoot both and turn in the calf for the food bank. He said that was a good idea but the concern would be the people not turning in the calf and just keeping it for them selves. I respond with dous it really matter as far as they are concerned the more dead moose the better just have a tag for it so you can keep track of the number of cows and calves that are taken so you get to the goal they have in mind. He said even better idea but the current plan should work also.
    We ended the conversation with him telling me this was a BIG issue when it was proposed but something needed to be done to lower cow/moose populations around Fairbanks. He also stated that he has taken lots of calls about this very topic but so far most people are opting to find a lone cow and pass on anything with a calf.
    Regardless of numbers and biologist info for me it is way to hard to pull the trigger once and know that two moose are dead but I'm only eating one.

Don

Default Whats the question?

No I would not take either animal, Shoot the mama and the calf dies, shoot the baby and the chances of a nice bull in a few years is gone. I know some areas are over run with moose but....... A cow with out a calf, yes

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet for Rafts, Canoes and Camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    907-442-3944
    Kotzebue, Alaska

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to kill a cow that has a calf or two. That's like killing three moose but getting the meat from one of them . . .

Default Go to the store

Drive your truck down to the store and buy a burger.Let them live and grow up to reproduce.

Default yes

If I had an "any moose" tag, I would shoot the calf.

Default no calves for me

personally i would not shoot a calf. if your after meat why not get a mature adult that has "more" meat. plus with a calf identify gender can be difficult can'tt tell if it is male or female. could be taking a out a future bull. and killing a cow with a calf i find to be a gross waste. yes why not just kill the cow and the calf that type of thinking will deplete the resourse in no time. If u were lucky enough to get drawn for the permit take the time to find a single cow. as hunters we have a responsablity to follow the law and be ethical in our technique to ensure the resourse is there for our future generations. even though i am still a young buck myself. I would like there to be a healthy resourse there for when i have kids. so i can share the tradition with them like my father did with me. but thats just my 2 cents. and every one is entitled to their own opinion.

Default thnx

As always...a varied mix of opinions. Moderator(s); cleared to kill the thread at your descretion.

Read a calf mortality study a few years ago. Said it is better to shoot the calf than the cow. Odds are high that the calf won't live to be old enough to breed, but the cow is already a proven experienced breeder. A lot of factors standing in the way of the calf growing up.

That being said the bigger the moose the more meat you get.

Shoot a calf 'eh..... how far from the truck am I ???

you before me, but after I. eh.

i would totally murder that calf. and enjoy it every meal after that.

Default In fairbanks with the antlerless tag

you are allowed to shoot the cow with the calves. Last year my dad tagged a lone calf on the way out of town heading home. Seen a lot but no shot oppurnities. The lone calf was basically begging to be shot. Shot it at ten yards or less and the calf just stood there. Didn't run or anything.

If I had a tag and seen a cow with two calves I would take the cow. It is within the law and regs. It is meeting there goal. The calf didn't taste that good anyways. Turned it into hot dogs and polish sausage. If you have to drive to up there and spend the time and money I would make it worth my while.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    If I had a tag and seen a cow with two calves I would take the cow. It is within the law and regs. It is meeting there goal. The calf didn't taste that good anyways. Turned it into hot dogs and polish sausage. If you have to drive to up there and spend the time and money I would make it worth my while.
    I think you need to re-read the regs, or at least I do. It's my understanding that in the situation you described, you can shoot the calf, but NOT the cow. I can't find the regs on this right now, but if you know where to look can you post the regs supporting your statement?

If any of you guys know the regs on this I would appreciate it if you could tell us the rules, or where we could find them. Thanks.

-Eric

Bah.

Any moose on it's own fills your needs be it young or old. But, if you are going to kill one that will emediately effect another, you aren't using your mind.

A cow with a calf offers no target unless there are two of you carrying permits for any moose... OR, if you are starving.

Default will have to look, or it might be on the actual tag

but we could not beleive it and went into the F&G office and talked to the bio. plus if you have an antlerless tag you have to shoot just that. used to be you could shoot any moose as long as you had a harvest tag. last year the bio said you had to shoot a cow or calves or cow with calves. I just got off the phone with my dad and he confirmed. Sounds weird but how it was last year.

Default Won't do it again

This may sound sappy, but...

I've hunted my whole life, and I have always respected the animals I've taken. That said, I have never really felt bad about taking an animal, except once. I was filling a doe tag in NY state - used to live in the northern part of the state - good whitetail country. It is legal to shoot any antlerless deer to fill a doe tag. By the time the hunting season comes around, many of the yearlings have separated from their mothers. Nevertheless, I had a nice doe come up on me with a yearling in tow. Neither had antlers; I could have taken either legally. I took the momma.

I didn't feel bad at first. I was excited. I didn't really even think about it. The deer ran about 80 yards and keeled. When I got up to the kill, though, I heard a strange sound. The yearling had run a little ways off and was standing there, making this weird noise and waiting for her momma, looking at me. I just stood still. I didn't really know what to do. After an entire minute of just standing there, the young deer took off. She probably did just fine. I don't think yearlings even stay with their mothers through the winter up there. There is not a strong predator threat. Still, the experience affected me more than I thought it would.

For a while, I felt awful. I was no longer happy about the successful hunt at all. It passed, but still, I don't think I'll ever do something like that again. No, I would not shoot either cow or calf that were together. I would not hold it against someone that did, necessarily, but it's not for me.

-Gr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast