Thread: Boat Blind

Default Boat Blind

I have a 16' Sea Ark Tunnel hull jon....I need to build a blind on it....Any tips? I want somthing that can be taken off when season is over, and is collapsable...

here is a link to the best tutorial out there for a scissor blind. If you can't view the drawings I'll copy them over.

DHC "montana redneck blind" link

Hopefully AK_DUCKMAN will chime in here and give you some ideas and maybe even post a picture or two of his own setup.

Default Fine !

All I did was copy the Northern Flight boat blind that Cabelas sell. They show a picture of just the frame.I modded mine so I only have to drop a small part to run my mud buddy. I haven't used it this year due to the fact that I have been useing my 12 foot aqua pod with the mud buddy. The Cabelas Waterfowl 2007 catalog has some good pictures in it, page 76.Why buy it when you can make it. Mine does not look the same but same Idea. Clamps on and is adjustable on both sides.
    Anyone can make one it's not rocket science.

I'd start by stringing bungee cords for grass mats around the sides, then you could probably build a nice hinging door that falls away with pvc then string bungees across it to weave grass mats. Shouldn't be to expensive or tough.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Why post about somthing you have NEVER attempted AKPM - Last year was your first year duck hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    All I did was copy the Northern Flight boat blind that Cabelas sell. They show a picture of just the frame.I modded mine so I only have to drop a small part to run my mud buddy. I haven't used it this year due to the fact that I have been useing my 12 foot aqua pod with the mud buddy. The Cabelas Waterfowl 2007 catalog has some good pictures in it, page 76.Why buy it when you can make it. Mine does not look the same but same Idea. Clamps on and is adjustable on both sides.
    Anyone can make one it's not rocket science.
    How do you like your Aqua pod?

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    Why post about somthing you have NEVER attempted AKPM - Last year was your first year duck hunting.
    Why be a jerk?

Not a jerk - Just stating the obvious so some people dont get hurt trying your ideas that have no basis

The aqua pod is a very nice little boat.

I wouldn't say Ak powder monkey's idea has no basis. Using bungee cords to secure grass mats or natural vegetation has been done by many companies on production blinds. Not sure how you'd get hurt or how that could be a bad idea? After all you were asking for ideas!

If you're looking for the opinion of a "seasoned" waterfowler, aka myself, I can't stand boat blinds and would recommend you get out of the boat and hunt in the natural vegetation. I've hunted all over the country and 99.99% of people that use boat blinds either build something with too high a profile, build something with very un-natural hard angled corners, or don't spend the needed extra time to brush their boat blinds with natural vegetation from the surrounding area before EVERY hunt. It's amazing how easy boat blinds are to pick out when running on a body of water.

And then there's always the classic lazy boat blind hunter who uses one in order to be more "comfortable". These folks can be picked out of a crowd by the bright shiney unmasked face sticking up over the top bar of their very very high profile duck condo complete with smoke emitting stove/heater that they just HAVE to have. If you're looking to be that comfortable while hunting then I'd suggest switching to some other sport or spending your money to hunt a fancy pit blind with a guide that's equipped to handle the business suit wearing executive types.

Alaskans are pretty lucky being up here at the far north reaches of the flyway where the birds are uneducated or either just hatched out of the eggs. Once they reach the southern part of the lower 48 you really have to work for your birds. I can't even express how usless boat blinds are down south. You can literally watch the birds work down a lake and the flocks will actually split up to go around either side of a boat blind and then regroup on the opposite side. I'm all about low profile, natural vegetation, and as little disturbance to the natural habitat as possible. Would you believe the following picture is of two blinds that we literally dug into the beach with shovels down in Northern California? This set up was absolutely deadly for us here for two days where any kind of blind would have stood out like a sore thumb!!

Not a jerk - Just stating the obvious so some people dont get hurt trying your ideas that have no basis
    Because I only built a Kayak blind and a layout blind myself... Now if only I could shoot

I'm not looking to build a puddle duck blind - Guess I should have stated that. I'm looking to make my boat into a sea duck hunting machine :P

I do concur with low profile however....Typically when we hunt for the puddle birds we do layouts as well...

Default It's bad

How do you like your Aqua pod?
    I love my pod. I build a motor mount so I can put my 6hp mud buddy on it. Great set up for one man, a little tight for two with the motor but can be done. I put a half blind on it this year also a good motor cover (camoed). So you don't need to be in much cover. The pod is light enough to put on top of my Xterra and with a receiver rack I can put my mud buddy on. I had to mod the tiller on the mud buddy so it comes off for transpot or it would stick out to far. Go's on real fast 2 pins. The blind go's on with 6 pins and the cover hooks on in about 1 1/2 min. Me the motor ,2 doz deeks ,small gear bag ,tools and a gal of gas (you can go all day on a gallon) and I push about 10 mph not fast ( besides it's not a race) but I can go anywhere I want to. I can motor this thing in places I can't push it. I have seen some nicer set up's but I can't put then on top of my X.And god knows I don't need another trailer. Also the pod is so stable Two guys can stand up in it and fly fish. I also run the mud motor while standing up alot.Just make sure you have the kill cord on you wrist or if you do fall out it will get ugly fast. I kill most all my ducks out of it. And I do kill a few