Thread: European Sheep Mount

Default European Sheep Mount

Anybody have pics they can post of a European sheep mount? I wasn't able to save the cape. Also, any recommended taxidermists that specialize in it?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Reference this post for contacts in Alaska who use dermistid beetles. This will turn out the best results for your euro. Seen the pic in the trophy post...unfortunate you were unable to salvage the cape, he would have made a wonderful shoulder mount.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hlight=beetles

You can always buy a cape from another hunter or from a taxidermist. If you get one from a sheep of roughly the same age and time of year, you likely won't be able to tell the difference. That being said, I want to do a European display with my next sheep.

Default Sheep Cape

I have tried to buy a sheep cape from somone a couple of times. Both times guys showed allot of interest with capes but soon after the talks begin they stop communicating and you never hear another word from them. Not sure why, but you may have better luck then I have. I'm on a waiting list with a Taxerdermist but so far he hasn't gotten anything to sell.

md

start checking on taxidermy.net in the for sale forums,you can sometimes pick up sheep capes there and tall tales in anchorage sometimes has them.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default pic

Here is mine from a sheep hunt 2 years ago. My brother did the work for me.

Default recommended taxidermists

Skulls and Bones in Soldotna 260-6592. I had him do a European Bou mount last season. He does great work. He uses the bugs to clean bones. His prices are very reasonable too.

Ditto on using "Skulls and Bones" in Soldotna. Kenny does a great job. I had a bison skull done there a couple years ago and he cleans it very well and bleaches it so it comes out looking very nice.

Default sheep cape

I have a line on two sheep capes...One life size, the other (mine) shoulder.

Its really quite easy to do yourself. Just boil it. There are a few tricks to doing it easily and without damaging the bone or horn. First, sweat the horns off the skull. This is done by putting the whole head (skinned and defleshed as much as possible) into a garbage bag. Leave it in there for a few days and they you can tap on the horns and slide them right off. Boil the horns for no more than 30 minutes and remove as much membrane as you can from the inside, this will keep the horn from splitting or drying out too much. Coat the inside of the horn with a dry preservative powder or borax and let dry. As a tip, before I sweat the horn off I drill a hole in the back of the horn about 1/4" wide. This helps knock the horn off easier and allows me to line everything up properly when I reassemble everything.
    Boil the skull in clean water with a bit of dawn soap or something else that will break down the oils. Boil as short of a time as possible and use a pressure washer to help blow any meat out of the back of the skull. Bleach with 35% hydrogen peroxide (used for bleaching hair usually). If you have a problem with oils in it, you can soap it in a degreasing solution like acetone for 24 hours or so, this will purge any oils out without leaving a residue of its own.

http://www.skullsunlimited.com/ is well known for doing skulls with bugs if you really don't want to boil.