Thread: Kodiak Silvers

Default Kodiak Silvers

A group of us are heading up to Kodiak Island, next week to fish the road system for Silvers. Any reports? What they're hitting on? Where to go? Suggestions on the nightlife?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

SKY

Default Kodiak's silvers...

They will hit on just about anything; spinners, eggs, and flies. Kodiak Custom spinners work real good, purple leach is deadly, and they will suck down eggs in a heartbeat.

American, Olds, Russian, Buskin, Monoshka, Pasagshak, are all major players.
    Mill Bay Beach also produces.

Stop in at the B&B Bar on Shelikof if you are so disposed, it's the oldest licensed bar in Alaska and where the fishermen and crabbers hang out. Henry's is the popular night spot and eatery.

Silvers there are nuts and are all over...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

I just returned from Kodiak the day before yesterday. The fishing for Silvers was tough all week. I think a combination of high water and the fish just being late this year is what made it difficult. Of course a few days can make a huge difference and they may be thicker than fleas on a three legged dog by now. By the way I was fishing the road system. A chartreuse #4 vibrax w/silver blade worked best for me. If you go upstream a bit the Dollies are thick and a kick in the pants to catch. I did well on egg patterns and nymphs.
    As far as night life is concerned there is not much and I'm not really up on it. Henry's great Alaskan restaurant is popular and the food is pretty good. the Mecca is a well known bar but that's all I know about it (other than people go there to get mechanized). The second floor has good sushi but it can be expensive.

Also I caught silvers in Pasagshak and the Buskin. I could not keep the spawned out pinks off my line in the American. There were a lot of jumpers at mill bay but nothing would hit.

Default Kodiak Silvers

Just returned from the island on Sunday (9th). Our group of four did quite well. We primarily fished the Buskin, but did venture out to the Olds, Monashka Creek, Monashka Bay, and Mill Bay. Caught silvers everywhere except Mill Bay, where we just saw lots of jumpers.

We used a variety of flies (purple egg sucking leeches, some yarn, and some nymph patterns). Also threw some pixie spoons with great success.

I'm glad you guys did well. your group seemed the exception. Most of the people I came across had the same comments on how tough the silver fishing was this year, But I did not fish Monashka.
    At least someone hit it right

Default Kodiak Silvers

guns68

I think that part of our luck comes from being very persistent. Two of the days we were on the island it rained almost non-stop yet we didn't leave the river. We saw very few fishermen that stuck it out on those days. Also, we mixed it up a bit on the fly selection and that was the other part of our success.

Thanks for the info. I hope that the fish will be in by next week. We're fly fishing and I've loaded up on Clousers and black and purple ESLs.

Did you all see lots of bears? My buddies are bit freaked out, but I figure make lots of noise and pack some heat and you'll be fine.

Default Kodiak Silvers

flyindaeye

Don't worry about the bears. There are a couple of bears that are hanging around the Buskin between bridge one and the weir. We saw the one bear three times. Just give them plenty of room. The other bear is huge (they say 10 to 10 1/2 ft) but we never saw him.

We were alittle apprehensive while out at Monashka when we were the only people there with fresh bear tracks all over. We just made lots of noise and made sure that the bear(s) knew we were there.

If your fishing the road system I would recommend against "packing heat". making noise and being "bear aware" is more than sufficient. We saw what looked like a healthy 3 or possible small 4 year old bear on the Buskin. Nothing, no tracks, dung etc. to indicate a 10 ft+ bear ( not to say there wasn't )

North2Alaska,
    to respond to your earlier post. I was there for (and in) the rain. We stuck it out, my 11 year old nephew was a real trooper, it was raining sideways, the tide had changed and we were getting hungry but we had to all but drag him to the car because he was not finished fishing. We were not skunked but I have been up there for a lot more fruitful times, but what a great time we had in spite of the light(er) fish boxes.
    By the way, you were not the gentlemen in the red car from rent a heap that we met on the Olds by any chance? Just trying to put a face to the name. I'm sure we must have crossed paths last week.

guns68

Nope, we weren't in a red car. We had a white Mercury Sable. Two of us had yellow Cabelas caps on and one of our guys was in a hunting vest with blaze orange. You couldn't miss him!!!

The day we went to the Olds it was empty. We only encountered 2 other fishermen down there. Silvers were hard to come by down there as the pinks had the river overrun.

We were up there the same time last year and our group was comparing notes and really didn't see much difference as far as the number of hook-ups. I thought there were far less pinks in the Buskin this year. We ended up bringing back a couple of boxes of fish for each guy.

I think some people noticed our success because by the last day I literally had no place to fish in the areas where I have been alone the past two years. Oh well, we had fun and weren't planning on keeping any the last day anyways. I did notice that the guys who were fishing the stretch that I had been fishing did have success as well.

I fished the Kodiak road system 9/26 - labor day with a measure of success.

There's a fly at Max's flyshop which I would like to recommend because the silvers liked it but the pinks don't. I suppose there will be far fewer pinks by the time you get there but in my case it was hard to get to the silvers due to the massive numbers of pinks.

It comes in 2 sizes: #6 and #2. It's a very short fly with heavy dumbell eyes, pink marabou on top, black marabou on the bottom and purple tinsel on the body. Get the larger size.

Also ... The crowds are a real problem for silvers in my opinion. Once a group of guys start to crowd these fish they tend to stop taking flies. Try to find locations where fish haven't seen an angler for a long time and are more relaxed. This seems to be less of an issue when you're using bait.

Default Flies for Silvers

The fly you are referring to is the Kodiak Clouser. Crowds can be a problem, but now that you can fish all the river you should have better success.

Default video of kodiak roadsystem trip

Fished the roadsystem in August. We had the greatest time. Caught tons of fish.... 99% released. Went out in the salt twice slayed um. 12 kings, 4 silvers, 50+ halibut, 2 many rocks to count and tons of fun. Here's the video of the roadsystem fishing..... a saltwater video soon 2 follow. By the way we stayed in Chiniak and fished by ourselves almost always. The olds is always a winner....good luck 2 u and your buddies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUnWAc4rtA4

I like how the fish that were released were just kicked back into the river.... Other than that, nice video!

The First 2 Million Pinks Got A Little Better Treatment.... Just A Gentle Nudge..... I Assure U They All Swam Away Strong As Could Be...... We Only Kept Maybe 10 Fresh Silver Pinks And The Rest Were Freed As Bear Food. 99% Of The Stream Fish We Caught(including Silvers And Reds) We Released, As We Had More Than We Could Handle From The Ocean.

Kodiak Is A Slice Of Heaven

Just an FYI, the Buskin opens to 5 silvers a day Wednesday. The rest of the roadsystem remains at 2 per day.