Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wives and daughters and their rifles

Default Wives and daughters and their rifles

My wife hunts with me occassionally and so do 2 out of 3 of my daughters. My oldest daughter just started hunting with her husband this past year, she enjoys hunting small game like ptarmigan with a 22 cal. When she got married I brought her a custom MRC 1999 SS 308 win. bedded in a McMillan fiberglass stock mounted with a Leupold European 3-9x40 to use when she is ready to hunt bigger game.
    Do any of you have wives and/or daughters who enjoy hunting and shooting too? if you do, any one willing to share some advice or stories about your experiences with them in the field.
    Here is what I do to make my wife and daughters' trips great. I usually set them up with a rifle that I sighted in really well, accuracy is important especially if it is their first trip out. We don't want them to get discouraged on their first outing. I usually let my girls borrow their brother's Remington SS Model 7 in 243 with a Leupold M8 6X42, sometimes they prefer using their mother's Browning A-Bolt SS 270 with a Leupold VX II 3-9. When we locate the animal (usually a caribou), I set them up so they can have the best possible shot that is available, I make sure they have a good rifle rest so they can hold the rifle real steady. I then coach them throughout the whole process from holding the rifle, target acquisition, breath control, then squeezing the trigger. I have really enjoyed bringing them out on hunting trips and teaching them about firearms safety and shooting. Makes my outings more worthwhile and enjoyable too. I have learned over the years they are willing students, eager to learn and easy to coach, good shots too. My wife's very first caribou was a head shot at 200 yds, with her 270. Both my younger daughters killed caribou on their first caribou hunts. My oldest daughter brought home a 1/2 dozen ptarmigan on her first hunt. Overall very memorable experiences.

My wife used to hunt until she almost froze her tail off on a winter whitetail hunt in Ohio. My oldest daughter has hunted but not sure she likes it. My youngest daughter got her first caribou last year.
    I started them out with a .22 and they fired a couple hundred rounds through it. Then I bought them a 7mm-08 they share but I do have a backup Rem 700 mountain rifle in .308 as a second if they both go. To get ready for the hunt, she must have fired a brick of .22s to get proficient. Then four boxes of 7mm=08 for her to insuire the rifle was sighted in for her and have confidence in her ability.

Default Wedding and Graduation Presents.

I got my wife a 600 remington in 98% in 243 winchester for our wedding. She is far sighted and shoots better with a peep site so I took off the 4X compact Leupold it came with.

I gave one sister a Savage 99 in 243 winchester for her birthday that I bumped into for 150.00. She fixed it up and hunts caribou with it.

I gave the other youngest sister who is really addicted to hunting a Remington 660 in 308 winchester for her graduation. She really likes it so I guess it was a good purchase as well.

I think every Alaskan should properly give guns as gifts (especially old rifles) to family members as possible. It makes the world a better place a tiny bit at a time and it is better than a gift card plus it gives you an opportunity to buy more guns.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Default Started the wife...

I think that my new bride seven years ago was astounded when I asked her if she'd like to go shooting with me. My ex had no interest in even eating a meal on the patio, let alone anything that included effort in the outdoors. Vicki is a different kind of person. 2nd to the youngest of eight kids, raised on a dairy farm. Four older brothers. She asked for a BB gun for Christmas when she was eight. She got a Barbie. Christmas of 1999, the first we were together, I bought her a new-in-the-box Winchester 94AE Trapper in .357 mag. After she got used to loading, unloading, and shooting the rifle, I mounted a scope on it for her. She quickly realized the range limitations of that setup, and started using (of all things) my M1 Carbine! Not long after, she took an interest in a 6.5X55 Swede project that I was working on, and has since adopted that rifle as her own. She DOES, however, use my pre-64 M70 Featherweight .243 when I'm not paying attention, but she is NOT going to take THAT one under her wing! Might have to look for another one!
    She went out with me when we took her two teenage daughters out, and I introduced them to a 20 ga. Remington 1100 and hand thrown clays using 7/8 oz. skeet loads. They took to that like a duck on a June Bug!!! My own daughters, years ago, started out with single shot .22's, and have since moved up to .243's, but show no interest in hunting or target work. Their choice.
    Vicki DID come close to causing an argument when she decided that my K38 Smith & Wesson should be hers! Some things are NOT negotiable!

Default Women's rifles

Female perspective here: at 5'5" and 120 lbs I shoot a Remington 30.06 that is a tackdriver at 300 yards. Mr. mbd cut about 2" off the stock for me (I'd have to measure exactly what it is now) but it's perfect. It absolutely loves factory 180 grain Core-Lokt bullets. It's got a Leupold 3x9 scope that was a gift from Mr. mbd, but it's a using gun and not a toy.

Mr. mbd's rifle of choice is .338. I can handle it offhand and am accurate for about 2 shots out to 100 yards. I can soak up the recoil offhand but it plays hell with getting lined up for a second shot. It's not fun for me to shoot, so I don't. I know if I had to, I could, and that's enough.

I have 2 shotguns, Remington 870 Express youth model 12 ga with both bird and slug barrels (that's my duck and bear gun) and a Baikal (Russian) 12 ga double that fits like it was made for me, and it's the factory stock. Not a youth model. Maybe it's the fact that there's no action.

Handgun is a .38 Lady Smith. I like the smaller frame and figure at any range I'll ever need to use it at, it will work just fine.

I feel pretty safe when Mr. mbd is gone with a 12 ga full of buckshot and my pretty little .38 right where I can reach them.

Side note -- we practice regularly with all the guns. Not just the week before hunting season.

I got a new 325 A-bolt and am now looking too set the wife up. She has shot my model 94 30-30 several times with no problem. She wants to put a couple rounds through my 7 Mag this week so we will se how that goes. She is about 5'3" so I might be looking for a smith to swap out the stock for a shorter one (can't imagine cutting the rifle my dad gave me). If she likes it I would appreciate any recomendations on how to best set it up for her.

Some of the gun auction websites occassionally sell long action riflestocks that have already been shortened. When I do my searches I just type in "youth stocks". Mounting a good quality EER (Extended Eye Relief) scope would probably be a good addition too. Just to address any recoil safety issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Some of the gun auction websites occassionally sell long action riflestocks that have already been shortened. When I do my searches I just type in "youth stocks". Mounting a good quality EER (Extended Eye Relief) scope would probably be a good addition too. Just to address any recoil safety issues.
    The extended eye relief deal is a smart suggestion ...all she can see with my un-cut .30-06 is 'fade to black'. She can't get close enough to the scope. I'd be happy to cut that puppy down an inch and put on an EER scope if I get a new gun and scope out of the deal too. I'll check those auctions too ...my Ruger stock developed a small split in the front of the forestock about 12 years ago. I keep meaning to replace it...

Brian

I think it would be much bettter to get an uncut stock and cut it (or have it cut) to the correct dimensions. Also, the term EER means Extended Eye Relief. This is a handgun scope with approximately 18-20" (about 16-22")of eye relief. The IER scopes are Intermdeiate Eye Relief, this is a scout scope with about 9" From about (6-11") of eye relief. A standard scope (Leupold) will have from 2.5-4" of eye relief. You can send any Leupold scope back to them and they will change the optimum ER to what ever you specify.

The scout scope is a good concept and Ruger's Frontier rifle will work with such a scope. It is mounted forward of the action on the barrel of the rifle. Also the best way to get extra ER is to use the lowest possible power of any scope. The low variables or a fixed 2-4x scope is best. Everything with new shooters is short range anyway so low power won't matter.

I just wanted to clear up the phraseology if you buy off the net that may be important.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks Murphy for the correction. As for the stock that is a good point, would be better to find a good used stock for cheap and cut it down perfectly to the correct LOP. Not really a big selection of cut down long action stocks on the net to choose from. Found one for a friend 2 weeks back, he paid $45.00 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    Female perspective here: at 5'5" and 120 lbs I shoot a Remington 30.06 that is a tackdriver at 300 yards. Mr. mbd cut about 2" off the stock for me (I'd have to measure exactly what it is now) but it's perfect. It absolutely loves factory 180 grain Core-Lokt bullets. It's got a Leupold 3x9 scope that was a gift from Mr. mbd, but it's a using gun and not a toy.

Mr. mbd's rifle of choice is .338. I can handle it offhand and am accurate for about 2 shots out to 100 yards. I can soak up the recoil offhand but it plays hell with getting lined up for a second shot. It's not fun for me to shoot, so I don't. I know if I had to, I could, and that's enough.

I have 2 shotguns, Remington 870 Express youth model 12 ga with both bird and slug barrels (that's my duck and bear gun) and a Baikal (Russian) 12 ga double that fits like it was made for me, and it's the factory stock. Not a youth model. Maybe it's the fact that there's no action.

Handgun is a .38 Lady Smith. I like the smaller frame and figure at any range I'll ever need to use it at, it will work just fine.

I feel pretty safe when Mr. mbd is gone with a 12 ga full of buckshot and my pretty little .38 right where I can reach them.

Side note -- we practice regularly with all the guns. Not just the week before hunting season.
    Hi mbd,

Just curious since you're so close in size to my wife and I'll probably end up cutting down my .30-06 to fit her. How about a data point for me? Can you measure the length of pull on the '06 that fits you well? You measure straight back from the front of the trigger to the end of the butt stock (include the recoil pad just so we're on the same wavelength.) If you don't have time, that's OK. Just a favor if you feel like it.

Thanks,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I think it would be much bettter to get an uncut stock and cut it (or have it cut) to the correct dimensions. Also, the term EER means Extended Eye Relief. This is a handgun scope with approximately 18-20" (about 16-22")of eye relief. The IER scopes are Intermdeiate Eye Relief, this is a scout scope with about 9" From about (6-11") of eye relief. A standard scope (Leupold) will have from 2.5-4" of eye relief. You can send any Leupold scope back to them and they will change the optimum ER to what ever you specify.

The scout scope is a good concept and Ruger's Frontier rifle will work with such a scope. It is mounted forward of the action on the barrel of the rifle. Also the best way to get extra ER is to use the lowest possible power of any scope. The low variables or a fixed 2-4x scope is best. Everything with new shooters is short range anyway so low power won't matter.

I just wanted to clear up the phraseology if you buy off the net that may be important.
    Good stuff and that helps. My Leupold VariX-III 3x9x40 is about 15 years old now ...I'll have to write to Leupold and see if they can adjust it. It still works good as new, so why not?

Brian

Default Accurate method for determining correct LOP ?

Here is a question for any of you folks out there that are stockmakers/fitters; What is the best method for determining accurate LOP (Length of Pull) on a rifle stock, so our wives and daughters can get their/our rifles custom fit ? Thanks

Default Stock length

Hi, Tanana Brian:

My .06 is 12-5/8" from front of trigger to middle of recoil pad. The recoil pad is right at 3/4" at the middle / thinnest part. Mr. mbd cut it down a couple times for me in little increments until I was happy.

I am a small frame 5'5" (Mr. mbd refers to me as 'midget' sized) if that helps. I wear a women's small size is most outer wear and you don't even want to know about buying sheep hunting boots ...

My scope is a factory 3x9. I don't have any trouble sighting in with it the way it's mounted, but have been whacked in the forehead one time with it -- uphill prone shot and I was in a hurry -- bad combo and I knew it when I pulled the trigger. I missed clean and Mr. mbd had to do the shooting when he figured out that I was useless, rolling around on the ground with a split open forehead. About got divorced over that one, but that's another story

Please let me know if I can answer anything else. Love to see other women into hunting, shooting and just spending time with their husbands and partners in the backcountry!

Here is a question for any of you folks out there that are stockmakers/fitters; What is the best method for determining accurate LOP (Length of Pull) on a rifle stock, so our wives and daughters can get their/our rifles custom fit ? Thanks
    On a line parallel with the barrel, straight back from trigger to butt. 13 5/8" is considered "normal". A "normal" kids stock is 12 1/2". I'm six foot even, and wear 16 1/2 34 shirts and my rifles/stocks are ordered 14" LOP. Some inexpensive synthetic stocked rifles, even for man sized guns have LOP of 13 1/4". I think they try to save a nickle on stock material.

Oh, I just read this again, and I think you mean measure your wife....I mean you measure your own wife....Ok, with the shooting hand (Right if right handed) with the palm flat and fingers straight. Bend the trigger finger at the middle joint and the elbow 90 degrees. Measure across the palm and front of the forearm from inside the bent elbow to the trigger finger. That measure ment is the LOP. Mine measures 13 7/8". Oh, boy! almost got into trouble.

I got the quote today for the 358 dies, it wasn't pretty.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

My wife has a factory Browning A-Bolt with a synthetic stock, LOP is 13 3/4", perfect for me. Just did the measurement: she should have her rifle stock shortened by 1 3/4". When I stated "their/our" rifles, I meant that the rifles usually start out as ours then are taken over by our wives and daughters. Or in other situations we buy rifles for them but always end up borrowing them to hunt with because they retain the factory LOP. Adjusting the stock on their rifles would really make the rifles theirs. Thanks
    PM me on the dies.

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    Hi, Tanana Brian:

My .06 is 12-5/8" from front of trigger to middle of recoil pad. The recoil pad is right at 3/4" at the middle / thinnest part. Mr. mbd cut it down a couple times for me in little increments until I was happy.

I am a small frame 5'5" (Mr. mbd refers to me as 'midget' sized) if that helps. I wear a women's small size is most outer wear and you don't even want to know about buying sheep hunting boots ...

My scope is a factory 3x9. I don't have any trouble sighting in with it the way it's mounted, but have been whacked in the forehead one time with it -- uphill prone shot and I was in a hurry -- bad combo and I knew it when I pulled the trigger. I missed clean and Mr. mbd had to do the shooting when he figured out that I was useless, rolling around on the ground with a split open forehead. About got divorced over that one, but that's another story

Please let me know if I can answer anything else. Love to see other women into hunting, shooting and just spending time with their husbands and partners in the backcountry!
    My wife's 5'4", 120#. Sounds like your stock is now very close to a standard youth rifle's stock, since most of them have a LOP of 12-3/8 to 12-5/8 inches. Thanks a mil for the info!

Brian

Anyone have any experience cutting down a factory synthetic stock ?

Yes and unless you have a cutoff saw, they can be mean with the fibers.

I've had my best luck with a chop saw and abrasive wheel.

Next, give some thought to sealing the cut with epoxy. Now if the stock has inserts for mounting a pad you will have to deal with that. Best advise I can give, if it is a name brand stock, I would get the maker on the horn and ask if you can return it for the chop.

just picked up the wife a womens/youth Ruger M77 the thing is as "cute" as a 308 can be. Threw a simmons 3-9X40 scope on top of it and we are taking it and my 325 WSM to the "range" tomorrow. She seems really comfortable with the short gun and can shoulder it smoothly and get a good sight picture through the scope very naturally. Got a box of 150 grain for plinking and a box of 180 grain in case she gets good with it and might want to go try and knock over ol bullwinkle in the last week of the season with me. Will let you all know how it goes tomorrow. (gonna let her rip off a few rounds with the 44Mag if she's up to it as well)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast