Thread: Messed up bigtime!

Default Messed up bigtime!

Geez...
    I messed up.
    I have NIB Winchester 1895 in .405 that I put in the back of the explorer with a few other rifles. The Winchester was in it's original box so I thought it was pretty well protected. However after spending a few weeks there bouncing down some nice rural roads must have been to much for it. Upon looking at my guns today and transfering them back into their vault I noticed a hole in the Winchester box almost the exact same size as a bolt handle. My Savage, which was in a thin cloth case, bounced it's way through the cardboard and styrofoam and marked a small area on the barrel. The bluing is gone and the metal marred, so it would need buffing.
    I'm pretty bummed out about it. Do you think Winchester would (or whoever does their warranty work) handle the repair cheap/free (ala Ruger?)
    Anybody in Alaska qualified to do this work?
    Worst comes to worst I could have the barrel removed and send it back to my gunsmith buddy in Minnesota.
    I'm feeling awfully guilty guy's...
    Be kind, I feel bad enough! I should have left'er home but it's so nice to be able to brag you know!

ciao....

reuben....

Default Too bad, but...

best thing to do now is clean 'er up, cover the spot with a bit of cold blue, and start usin' the rifle! That first scratch or blemish is always the worst, but after that one, anything else is just 'character'. Use the gun!

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    best thing to do now is clean 'er up, cover the spot with a bit of cold blue, and start usin' the rifle! That first scratch or blemish is always the worst, but after that one, anything else is just 'character'. Use the gun!
    Well said Darreld!!! Just do it and get out there with that rifle and kill some game. Fall in love with its ablity to take game. That is really what you bought it for and the game you dispatch will never know what it looks like.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

...Except that cold bluing needs re-doing now and then. I agree with the first mar concept. When I bought my first new truck, my dad through lumber in the back of it hard enough to put a dent in the front of the bed ...and said, "Now you can use it." I was pissed ...but got over it. He was right. I probably would've babied it for far too long and not gotten the true value of the vehicle out of it. If you're really concerned about your NIB gun, then take the barrel off and have it hot blued. Me? I'd cold blue it with a kit from the sporting goods store. I like working on things and it's fun to fix little things like that up. Cheaper too.

Brian

Default When I was in High School...

A LOOOONG time ago...Christmas my senior year, my folks gave me a brand spanking new Belgian manufactured Browning BLR chambered in .308. I loved that rifle as much as Dad did his A5 that he bought in the PX in Japan on his way home from Korea.
    Anyhow, the following summer, we went on a fishing trip, and I slipped that BLR into a sheep skin scabbard, put it into the back window of our '64 Ford, and headed up the road.
    Fishing was slow, and the pasture poodles were up, so I pulled that case out of the car, unzipped it, and pulled the rifle from it, and to my horror, the right side of that flat receiver was covered in bright red scaly rust! When we got home, I SHOULD have shipped it back to St. Louis to have it redone, but I scrubbed the rust off, prepared the metal, and applied G44 or whatever that old cold blue was, and proceeded after that to use it for anything and everything that would hold still long enough to get off a shot. When I gave the rifle to my oldest son, we sat down, and went over each nick, scrape and rub on the rifle, and let him know where they came from. Sort of like Granddad's 94 rifle, the stories go down the line with the gun.

Pretty good wisdom, Brian.

My first 4x4 was a mint Wagoneer. The first day I had it I drove it between two trees & laid parallel scratches down both sides. Dad thought I was nuts to deliberately mark such a nice rig, but like I told him, I felt free to really use it after doing that.

Unless you got the 95 as an investment, cold blue works great. Great hunting rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    ...Except that cold bluing needs re-doing now and then. I agree with the first mar concept. When I bought my first new truck, my dad through lumber in the back of it hard enough to put a dent in the front of the bed ...and said, "Now you can use it." I was pissed ...but got over it. He was right. I probably would've babied it for far too long and not gotten the true value of the vehicle out of it. If you're really concerned about your NIB gun, then take the barrel off and have it hot blued. Me? I'd cold blue it with a kit from the sporting goods store. I like working on things and it's fun to fix little things like that up. Cheaper too.

Brian

Default meant for the safe

Yeah I know that sportsmans scaratches add character.
    However I really diudn't intend on using this rifle. It was meant just to enjoy visually.
    I already own lots of scratched, worn guns! Heck thats easy... keeping them like new is obviously a bit harder than I guessed!
    Maybe I'll buy some tanks and learn gun blueing.
    Oh well.......

ciao y'all.....

reuben......

Quote Originally Posted by reuben_j_cogburn View Post
    Yeah I know that sportsmans scaratches add character.
    However I really diudn't intend on using this rifle. It was meant just to enjoy visually.
    I already own lots of scratched, worn guns! Heck thats easy... keeping them like new is obviously a bit harder than I guessed!
    Maybe I'll buy some tanks and learn gun blueing.
    Oh well.......

ciao y'all.....

reuben......
    Reuben,

I think I'd have to refinish the barrel. If it was bought as a looker and I'd wan't it to be a looker. I have several guns that don't go hunting or if they do it's to the back forty and never get out of my hands and they go on many walks with me. Beater rifles are just that, they shoot and go hunting. If I own an ugly rifle, it had dern well better shoot. I do hunt in some areas with finely stocked beautiful rifles but I don't throw them in the back of the truck or stuff them in a four-wheeler scabbard. I can still carry one.

Your unfortunate mishap was a rather odd happening, I think I'd fix it up.

I've seen some folks guns that looked to have been on 25 rough hunts. When I asked how long they'd had it they remark just got last year! I got this scrtach down the side when the four wheeler turned over, and this crack in the stock when my brother-in-law drove his wheeler over it, that rust there was from the first night I left it out in the rain, the mud in the action was from my dunk in the river, there's no bluing left on the barrel because of when I was draggin' it by the sling, those scratches there are from the fence, I think the bolt is bent that way 'cuz of the horse steppin on it, I don't know what happened to the back sight, but the front sight broke off when I used the barrel to pry the door open on the truck, and the.......
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Big Difference, though...

Between honest wear and abuse, neglect, and damage. Guess I didn't understand that you wanted a wallhanger. Such a thing hasn't occured to me, except for Grampa and Dad's guns.
    Sorry, I took it for granted that if it was pounding around in the back of your rig, that it was intended to be a usin' gun....
    Best bet for refinishing might be Browning repair facility in St. Louis, if it's still there. Check the warranty first. Might be surprised what you find out with a phone call to Browning!