Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Late season sheep (group hug?)

Default Late season sheep (group hug?)

I was supposed to leave today for Glenallen, overnight at the Caribou Hotel and fly in tomorrow for my sheep hunt but the weather is predicted to be terrible with dangerously high winds for flying, so we're postponed until Thursday. I'm home for one more day. I ran some errands for my missus and tidied up my garage and of course checked in here to see who posted what and to check for new photos.

I am hoping to break a 15 year old sheep hunting "Oh-fer" streak. I didn't sheep every single year for various reasons but my first sheep hunt was in 1992 and like most people it got into my blood. The next 5 attempts were "learning experiences" to say the least. I'm hoping this will be the year my long apprenticeship bears fruit. Not looking to get into the book...just a representative mature ram.

This year I refurbed some old gear and bought a few new items. My pack is packed and with the rifle strapped on comes in at 54.5 pounds. (including 16 pairs of socks) Not bad! My new Lowas are broken in, the rifle's zeroed, knives sharpened, gear checked and rechecked, truck's about 50 miles into a new oil change, and I even got a haircut.

I've finally allowed myself to get excited about this hunt!!!!

I'm prepared to stay until season's end. Copper Valley Air is flying us in. I've never used them before but they came highly recommended and so far they've been very professional so my confidence is high transportation won't be an issue.

Nightwolf and I are going into 13D near the Tazlina Glacier. I originally wanted to hunt this spot next year but Prop 158 changed my plans. In doing my follow-up research I learned from F&G the ram numbers there have really plummeted in recent years. But as it turns out the area is a good late season spot. It's a group of rough glacieated peaks--steep terrain, cliffs, hogbacks and high tight bowls...classic escape habitat.

The GMU-13 bio told me I would not see many rams--maybe a dozen--but the ones I did see would tend to be mature. "Be ready to hunt high and cover a lot of ground, and good glass is a must." Check...got it. I'm ready--I'm bringing the insteps and ice axe, an 8 and 'biners, and a 100ft 8mm rope (just in case). Sheep hunting is rarely if ever easy and we're ready to do the work. She also recommended we pick up moose tickets and be ready for bears.

Not to get ahead of myself but if I tag out early I'm definitely up for taking a bear if the opportunity arises.

Either way another trip to the mountains is always a good thing so C'monnnn weather!!

I will post pics and the story upon my return to swivelization.

For those hunting in the next week Good Luck and be safe!

Default Good luck

Hope the weather settles down so you can get in safely and enjoy the hunt! Watching the weather radar from here, looks like its really been bad.
    What is your sheep rifle?
    I was in that area in 2005. Good luck.

Best of luck to you. Dave is a great guy to have fly you in. The weather has been crappy for the last week. Rain then wind then rain again. Be careful as the last downpour has swollen the runoff drainages in the area to gushing torrents of trouble.

I too am planning a late season trip. Hopefully we will both have stories to tell upon returning.

Sounds like a fun hunt plan. Hope the weather, rams and bears cooperate! Good luck!

Oh, we need pictures when you return...

Dave

Thanks for the "love" fellas--A little AOD karma might just do the trick!

I'm shooting my pet rifle: a wronghanded, stainless M-70 classic in .06. and Fed Premium 165 gr TBBC zeroed for 200yds. Out to 315 yds is pointblank and anything inside 400 is unlikely to be missed.

Yes I will definitely post a full disclosure report (gear critique etc) ram or no upon returning

Thanks again

Great post, Erik. Good luck out there. Ram or not, it will be a great experience. The only problem I am having with your post is the "haircut" thing <grin>. Hope you get in okay after the weather cooperates.
    Best,

Good luck Dude, Be safe and kill a monster!

Thumbs up

Erik:

Good luck and be safe. Sheep numbers are way down. post photos on your return.

Default Score!!!

Best of luck for a good hunt....sheep or no sheep.

Erik, good luck to you and Ted. Buddy just returned from that area and didn't see one legal ram. Too bad you guys don't have a goat tag...they seen bunches.

Default Good Luck

Eric,

Best of luck on your adventure. Take lots of pictures and stay safe!

Default Not All Areas

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero View Post

Sheep numbers are way down. post photos on your return.
    I'm not sure that's true everywhere. The biologist in the area I hunted said they saw more legal rams than he recalls in the last decade. This was for an area of Chugach State Park.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default Did you check the air in the tires?

Do you have everything? remember the parents asking that question when we were kids like we were supposed to know what everything was? I will be out for about the same period (leaving wednesday) looking for moose. Thanks again for the words you sent my way back in August. Hope your "retrieval" went well.
    As long as your windows are clean it looks like you are ready to go.
    God speed.

Blkfoot;

That could be true. In general, the numbers in the park are down across the board. right now is not the "good old days" of sheep hunting in the park.

The unit i was in, i did not see a sheep, ram, ewe, lamb, nothing...
    Last edited by cold zero; 09-12-2007 at 05:00. Reason: spelling

Default Every Time

Good luck. Me and my buddy flew into the Chugach range. Seen some juvies, only one shooter (maybe). Me and and him have been sheep hunting since 99 together. Every sheep hunt is a learning hunt. While your hunting remember what you can use more of, and the items you didnt use, or used less to lighten the load. Once again, Good Luck Don

Thumbs up

I'm impressed with your pack weight, got'er under 55 pounds with the rifle. I can't seem to do that for a week long hunt!

Best of luck to you, its relieving to get into the mountains regardless of wether or not you take a sheep. A full-curl would sweeten the pot though, after 15 years somethings gotta give.

Tim

just curious what prop 158 is? Been out of the loop all summer, just getting back into things.

proposition 158-Turn 13D and part of adjoining 14 into a draw for sheep. Full curl east of Tazlina Lake and any ram to the west.

Default If you haven't left...

I just came out of the Wrangell's. The second day in it rained 41 hours straight. What took me five hours to enter took me four days to vacate with nothing but survival in mind. I had to use all of my hillman tricks. Perhaps the country you are headed for didn't get pounded, but if it did it may get slightly western. Big ugly storm clouds in the sky before nightfall. It's a weak hug but I've just seen too much water this week. Kill a big wet one.

Erik,

How did your hunt go?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast