Thread: Bridge to Ferry trail

Default Bridge to Ferry trail

I have never crossed it and heard it could be tight with a sportsman 500. Any information on this? I heard it was 47" wide and that would rub my wheeler.

Default Search for "Railroad"

If you do a quick search using the search tab above, look for "railroad" (ferry trail may work as well). There is a thread that talks a lot about the dimentions and what people have gotten across the bridge. Good luck.

I have in my notes that it is 45.5". My 700 Griz was a tight fit!! This is loaded down with my camping gear. I'll be up there is few days for some picture taking. If you want, I'll do some re-measuring if needed.
    EricL

My Kawasaki 750 is too wide. The tires fit, but the plastic does not. My old Suzuki 4X4 rubs the febders all the way, and the rear tires rub at one point.

Default Size matters

Don't know the exact dimensions but, I have a 06 Grizzly with mudlites, 48" outside of tires -- Does Not/Will Not fit on the bridge. And the Railroad police watch that bridge for people running the tracks.

Default sportsman

The Sportsman 500 does not fit on the foot bridge.

Cool sportsman 500

Thanks for all the info. A buddy of mine just got back from up there and he crossed it with his Sportsman 500. So thats good enough for me. Thanks again for the information.

Default You ought to be fine Bear

I made it across on my 700 KingQuad, rubbing along the way but made it. Luck

My Cat 500 with MudBugs is a no-go. I am friends with the bridge inspector so he gave me the dimensions on the walkway, it is anywhere from 45.5 to 46" wide. I actually can't get across the Talkeetna either with my quad.

Ferry bridge has a new web cam on it to monitor the bridge FYI.
    JD

Default How Then?

How does one get across the bridge to the trail if their wheeler is too large? Is there another route by which wheelers can access the area? I've got a cow tag and I'll be waiting for a bit of cold before I go and this was one of the places I'm interested in. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks. By the way, is anyone else happy to have another "Bowhunters Only" area besides me? I know that muzzleloaders are allowed as well, but this is sure a step in the right direction for us archers. Way to go Fish and Game!

Default Ferry Crossing

If your ATV has independent suspension you can try using a ratchet strap. My friend perform this maneuver on the Polaris and was able to cross on the walk bridge. Please do not attempt a crossing on the tracks, it is very dangerous. Trains schedules are unpredictable. I have seen trains pass by only minute apart. If you are caught on the tracks you are going to lose. I have heard from someone but not personally verified it, but you can call out a flagger from the AKRR and they will assist you in crossing, but it costs money, but it is safe and legal. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by SourdoughRick; 09-13-2007 at 23:41. Reason: Grammer

bridge to "fairy" trail... hmm sounds like a sequel to that broke back movie glad to see its a clean post

I just hope this new bowhunt doesnt become the next dalton highway cluster!!!!

With all my fall almost over and I just returning home from work, I have the next two weeks off and really do not look forward to hunting the haul road or even the fairbanks management area. plum disgusted!