Thread: Whittier silvers??

Default Whittier silvers??

Anyone been to Whittier lately with a report on silvers?? I'm thinking about going over there on Friday just to do some bank fishing. Thanks.

Calflyer

Default Silvers in the boat harbor

I drove to Whittier this afternoon and observed about a dozen people fishing the shore inside the harbor next to the far boat launch. After high tide maybe 20 people showed -- all catching or snagging silvers. The harbor is stuffed with fish. At any point in time you can see numerous jumping up to eight or ten at a time. Some were bright, some were starting to turn. Some were beautiful, large and professional acrobats.

I did not see silvers jumping at any other location around Whittier-- even Smitty's Cove was quiet. I spoke to one returning boat -- they were skunked. Several boats were heading out --- no rain, but the weather was breezy with a white caps in the greater bay. I could not get a real time report on the status of the Pigot area or farther out.

People were having a good time in the harbor. Traffic was pretty calm with little boating activity. I stood at the end of the floating dock by myself, taking it all in. It is quite a sight to stand on the boat launch and see so many fish jumping, being caught, people having fun, some families, no rain, and the mountains all about.

Good luck -- you will bag some fish.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news (or stating something that's already known), but the Whittier small boat harbor is closed to snagging. That's what the regs say unless there's been a change that's not reflected in the 2007 regs.

Default Thanks!!

Pontiac,
    Thanks much for the report..I'll let you know how it goes Friday.

Calflyer

Default Silvers in the harbor & shrimping

I was there tuesday to go out for a final shrimping trip. At low tide in the morning lots of silvers at the boat launch, folks were catching a few. When i came back in the evening, low tide again, still lots of fish around.
    Shrimping was good, ended up with aprox 16lbs of tails for 3 short soaks. We went over to esther hatchery looking for some silvers but things were DEAD around there.
    P9110004.JPG

P9110007.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Was out again last weekend ...

Nasty, nasty weather. Seemed like you were wet from the minute you left the truck until the minute you stepped back into it. Had periods of light rain, heavy rain, sheets of rain, blowing rain, rain and fog, well, you get the picture.

Headed out Saturday around 9am, hit Port Wells and milled about for 20 or 30 minutes trying to decide if we really wanted to cross or not. Seas were only about 4 foot, but didn't want to have to wait it out if it picked up later. Crossed over to Ester and fished one of its bays. Casted spinners, spoons, and even a couple of wiggle warts. As we had done for the past 3 visits, we caught fish after fish after fish. If your lure wasnt picked up by one of the silvers, you had to be careful not to let a pink pick it up or drag it across thier backs. I would say that 2/3 of the silvers we caught were blushed or turned. Ended up coming back with 7 bright chromies and even threw another 6 or 8 bright ones back.

In both of our previous trips, we had run into black bears. So, one of the guys packed a rifle and inbetween fishing and eating, went on a quick walk around the back part of the bay and harvested a nice little blackie.

Our return passage found us in 6-8 foot seas as we crossed Port Wells. Yuck.

Once again, managed to catch as many fish as we wanted and we even managed to pick up a bear. Nice little trip. The only downsides were the weather and seas.

Potbuilder: I'm a relative newbie to the whole shrimping thing, but on a previous trip (2 weeks ago) we dropped our pots in an area which produced 50-70 per pot early in the season, but on this occasion, we pulled up none. Now I understand that shrimp move around and just laid our dismal pull to that, but, after relating the story to one of the guys that went fishing with us this weekend (much more knowledgable in the shrimping department), he said that we should have dropped our pots a lot closer to the head of the bay (where the salmon are milling around trying to spawn) in much shallower water (45-60 feet or less). Thoughts ?

-- Gambler

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler View Post
    Potbuilder: I'm a relative newbie to the whole shrimping thing, but on a previous trip (2 weeks ago) we dropped our pots in an area which produced 50-70 per pot early in the season, but on this occasion, we pulled up none. Now I understand that shrimp move around and just laid our dismal pull to that, but, after relating the story to one of the guys that went fishing with us this weekend (much more knowledgable in the shrimping department), he said that we should have dropped our pots a lot closer to the head of the bay (where the salmon are milling around trying to spawn) in much shallower water (45-60 feet or less). Thoughts ?

-- Gambler
    I've never been able to catch any amount of shrimp in anything shallower than 400'. Yesterday i fished in 500-700' and caught them well, in fact the deeper ends seemed to fish the best. 45-60'? if i could catch them that shallow i'd be watching them crawl into the pots!!! I'll stick with my "steep & deep" theory of shrimping because it seems to work for me.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I've never been able to catch any amount of shrimp in anything shallower than 400'. ... I'll stick with my "steep & deep" theory of shrimping because it seems to work for me.

Potbuilder,

Thanks for your response. Your thoughts mirror my own. I too, have had very little success dropping at less than 400'.

I wouldn't have even given his comment a second thought except, as I have said, he has done real well in the past.

-- Gambler

Default Where to fish in Whittier

I just got a "new to me boat" and have never fished off the banks at Whittier until last Sunday. Got rained on pretty good, but was out on the water. Where do I fish for silvers. I only have a 16.5 foot boat so am limited to how far I can leave. Last Sunday we were out at decision point with no luck at all. Anybody have any sweet spots they would like to share for Silvers, and rockfish
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in english, thank a veteran

Default Whittier Friday AM

Got over there about 7:45 AM and like Pontiac said the silvers were jumping all over the boat lauch area - sometimes 4 or 5 in the air at the same time. Only caught one though they would practically splash you they were so close. Very frustrating!!!

Calflyer