Thread: My First Moose

Thumbs up My First Moose

This year was my first seirous moose hunt, my 2 previous "hunts" were really just a day hike with a gun...

Set up camp Friday Aug 31 after work just me and my girlfriend (oh this was her first hunt ever for anything). Saturday and Sunday we didnít see any movement at all cept a few birds. Sunday night back in camp we were talking about how the next day was our last day and that we would hunt in the morning come back for lunch and make it a short hunt in the afternoon so we could breakdown camp and get home before it got too late. Sometime during this discussion I found one of those coffee can calls and kinda started messing with it to see what it would sound like, having never heard a moose before I though no way does a moose sound like this it sounds too much like a tin can. After an amazing meal of pork chops and onions and biskets we headed off to bed. The next morning we went down to the stand to watch the "valley of nothingness" that we watched the 2 previous days. I decided not to sit in the stand cause that huge open area over there was just not somewhere I expected to see a moose and the wooded area with all the moose trails to the left seemed more likely, so I sit off to the side of the stand where I can get a better view of the wooded area. About 1830 I hear what I could have sworn was that dang coffee can call holy crap moose do sound like that I swing my gun to the ready position towards that huge open area where im not gonna see a moose and I hear the sound again and ill be danged, its closer. Next thing I see, out into the field runs this lil calf with mama strutting right behind it. So I look through the scope at mama checking out her body and looking closely at her shoulders, I have never looked at a moose through a scope and wanted to pick my shot carefully if by chance I see a Bull. After looking at the cow for a lil bit I look up over my scope and see nothing but horns of this nice bull that was chasing the cow, im back to the scope, I find the shoulder, safety off, then he drops he head and blocks my shot with his monster rack, I look up over the scope and the cow makes kinda like a grunt and the Bull looks, shot clear again back to the scope and squeeze the trigger on my .300 Remington ultra mag...Silence... I didnít hear the gun go off and didnít feel the recoil, I look up from my gun and the moose shutters, I jack another 180 grain scirroco into the chamber incase I need a follow up shot, (I was sure of my shot and didnít think I was going to need a second shot) the bull walks over to the edge of the woods and disappears, I watch the area closely and see a quick flash of horn as he hits the ground. Still running on pure adrenaline I run up the hill to get a better view of where the beast dropped and canít see anything. I run back to where I left my girlfriend and I sit and try to let my heart stop racing. After a few min I cant wait any longer I have to see my moose so instead of going to the 4 wheeler and drive to the river and cross from there I go straight down the hill and its steep and as im getting closer to the river the wood starts to thicken up a bit and the wind starts to blow a nice calm breeze but ill be danged if every leaf that made the slightest sound didnít sound like a moose charging through the trees right at me. My mind was playing tricks with my ears. I get to the river and debate for a few seconds if I should find an easier place to cross, cause here the banks are pretty steep and my boots arent exactly waterproof so I step into the river feeling my boots fill with the ice cold water of the Chena. We (my girlfriend is tryin to stay on my tails cause she is just as excited and a lil freaked) get to the other side of the river and start marching through the swamp and as im walking down the swamp trail toward where I saw my moose drop I look down a see the biggest dang bear track I have ever seen it was about 8" across, still big to me. After pointing the bear track out to my girl I look up and again all I see is horns lying in the grass, there he was my trophy, My first Moose. He measures out to 54" and some change.

There are pictures in the Gallery on page 5 at the bottom but Ill post a few more on this thread when I get home. All this took place in the Yukon Training Area just incase yall were wondering. I seen many hunters back there but I never did find out if anyone was successful. Do any of yall know of anyone else that was successfull back there?

Thanks for reading my story I have been really antsy to share it will yall after reading all yalls stories. Now I have one to share

Justin
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY **** WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Default Congratulations!

Good job on your first moose. It's always a thrill to get your first of any animal.

I have to admit that I was a little sceptical when I read "I swing my gun to the ready position towards that huge open area..." picturing someone hearing a noise and immediately aiming the gun at it without first identifying it (never know, it could easily have been another hunter calling for moose like you were the night before). Then again when you said "So I look through the scope at mama checking out her body and looking closely at her shoulders..." because it was stressed to me as a kid to never use the rifle scope to glass with (that's what binocs are for).

I have just heard too many stories of people either purposly shooting at sounds because they thought they knew what it was or accidentally firing off a shot when they were not ready so I cringe when people talk about swinging that gun around without knowing the target already.

I know the feeling of not really hearing the shot. You get your adrenalin going so much and you are so focused on the animal that everything else fades out, sometimes including the shot itself.

Congrats Justin!
    Then the work began ..................
    Let's hear the rest of the story
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Rest of the story

Well I figured the rest of the story was understood but here ya go...
    After a few snapshots with the moose we ran back across the river to the 4 wheeler and drove up to the road to where I could get cell service to call in some help cause I knew if I started the cleaning proccess I would never finish before dark(mainly cause moose are huge and this being my first one) and I didnt want to leave my moose available for the owner of that big bear track I saw. So with back up on the way I gathered up my game bags come-a-long and other stuff and I waited. My back up arrived and we decided that with that bear running and us losing daylight fast we were gonna let it sit the night and tackle it at first light, I was a lil hesitint on this, but it was really cold in the valley so the meat would not spoil and for safty issues, agreed that waiting would be the best course of action. Next morning we met at main camp grabbed the packs and headed down to the river. there was no way for up to possibly drive accross the river so we parked the wheelers and grabbed the packs and set out through the river and through the swamp and get to the moose who at this time is a lil bloated but has not been touched. First we had to roll the beast on to its side to make things a lil easier on us. Skin came off, front quarter came off, rear quarter came off, neck meat, backstrap, tenderloin, brisket, and rib meat were next to come off. The we fought to roll the half beast up the hill to attack the other side. Then it was rear quarter, front quarter, rib meat, neck meat, and brisket and all remaining edible meat. This entire process took 4 of us 3 1/2 hours and during the process we saw that the bullet had passed through both lungs and missed hitting any bone between the ribs on this side and between the ribs on that side. Then we packed the meat about 200 yards through the swamp, through the river and to the 4 wheelers, I made 3 trips 2 with meat and the final with the rack. I had the rack lashed down to the frame sideways and I still **** near hit every tree on the way back to the wheeler which really makes we wonder how the heck a moose runs through the woods with them on right. After we packed the moose to the wheelers we went to the trucks and loaded everything up and headed to the house to hang the meat and let it hang till thursday when my help got bored and prossesed the front and rear quarter I gave them for there help. Friday we boned the remaining quarters and remaining meat and cut them in to roasts and strips for the grinder roasts were wrapped and froze and strips were placed in the fridge over night. Saturday we ground the strips making sausage and burger. My friends were a big help in assisting me in learning everything involved after the shot, I cant thanks them enough but I was invited to hunt with them so I can return the favor. The game bags I bought from walmart worked good as far as not ripping but not so good for keeping out the flys we didnt lose any meat to the flys but we did find some eggs not a whole lot, but the ones I made worked awsome for keeping the meat cool and keeping the flys out but seemed to be not as strong material as I did have one rip open. Sunday Morning for breakfast we had some of the sausage we made and it turned out really good, we used a sage spice package from sportsmans for the sausage.

...And now you know the rest of the story...

Any other questions Id be glad to answer I like talking about this
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY **** WHAT A RIDE!!!"