Thread: Moose Question

Default Moose Question

I'm new to moose hunting and the season is almost over. I have one question though, I have seen a bull in the same area twice in the last week, my question is- how big of area do they normally travel in? Can i expect to keep seeing him in this area or is he going to be moving on? Thanks for any help you guys can give

Default Moose travel

Well, that depends on the area - I'll need EXACT coordinates to assist you better

Default here are the directions

Heading out of the Valley, you will want to first go towards the mountains, when you see the tree that looks like a spruce, take a left. Continue on until the third rock on the leftwhich is past the first two on the right, you will want to take a right but don't- take a left. This will work up hill for awhile, once you reach the crest of the hill you will need to keep your eye open for a large bush, it will be on the right hand side, take a right just after the bush. This will cross a creek and carry you further into the mountains, stay on this until you come up to the 42nd pine tree, you will want to make sure it is the 42nd, if you reach the 43rd you have gone to far. From here you will need to getout of your truck, walk down the small path until you reach the opening above the swamp. This is the area where you will find all the moose. There are hundereds possibly even thousands, all of which are over 65". Please report back and let us know how you have faired.

Default Moose are territorial creatures...

I've read they have a home range of about 13 sq mi.

Home ranges vary a lot, but pre rut in one spot we watched a big bull for a full week on an alder choked hillside. He moved about 400-500 yards a day, roundtrip. It was almost clockwork, where he would be along his trail at a given time during the day. You'll often see the same moose feeding in a swamp along the road repeatedly during the summer... Once the rut starts they may travel miles, and in the winter moose from behind mount susitna have been tracked traveling over a hundred miles to get to wintering grounds. If he's on good feed though, he should hang out near the same spot. Go to that location, a good trail or spotting area and hang out, and start trying to call him now. Good luck!

Oh, and that big moose was rubbing velvet off on the same set of trees every day- that 500 yard circle seemed to be his home range (250 yards there and 250 back- more like a very narrow oval than circle!)

cool stuff thanks

I've been thinking of the same question, Bryan. I spotted a legal bull in a very narrow valley about a month ago. We're going in after him tomorrow morning. I kind of doubt that he'll still be there, but it is such a narrow valley that he doesn't really have that far to go. Hopefully he'll respond to calls and we'll end up spending the next two days with miserably heavy packs.

Default Now that's funny

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan19alaska View Post
    Heading out of the Valley, you will want to first go towards the mountains, when you see the tree that looks like a spruce, take a left. Continue on until the third rock on the leftwhich is past the first two on the right, you will want to take a right but don't- take a left. This will work up hill for awhile, once you reach the crest of the hill you will need to keep your eye open for a large bush, it will be on the right hand side, take a right just after the bush. This will cross a creek and carry you further into the mountains, stay on this until you come up to the 42nd pine tree, you will want to make sure it is the 42nd, if you reach the 43rd you have gone to far. From here you will need to getout of your truck, walk down the small path until you reach the opening above the swamp. This is the area where you will find all the moose. There are hundereds possibly even thousands, all of which are over 65". Please report back and let us know how you have faired.
    That's awsome!

Default thanks SEEBLAZE

I was hoping someone would see the humor in that. BRIAN, i tried some calling on that one and he hardly budged. I have had them come in before so i thing he was not ready yet. But good luck to you and hope you pack is very heavy by the end of the weekend.

Default Wish My pack was Heavy

Won't be able to go, at work on the slope. Did have my cross hairs on a moose but I had ran to far too fast and too much adreniline running through my body. My dad always taught me if you don't have a kill shot don't take it. So I watched him trot away. Bad thing was my shooting sticks were not very far away. So I learned something " if the gun goes so does the sticks". But I hope your pack gets heavy and you are able to fill your freezer.. Good Luck, looking forward to you posting pics in the 2007 hunting pics.

Chris