Thread: Sheep sealing experiences 2007 ...

Arrow Sheep sealing experiences 2007 ...

Just wondering how it's going out there this year.
    Take a second and post your experience of sealing your ram if you would.
    What method did F&G use to check your sheep?
    Anyone with a ram that didn't quite make it?
    Any praise? complaints?
    All posts are appreciated!
    Frank

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Complaint

My ram sealing went well- 10 1/2 years old, easily legal- my complaint was with the gentleman in front of me- his sheep was cut off at the base of the neck- with the hide still on- F&G tried explaining to him that a taxidermist would buy the raw cape- but he didn't understand- he had been guided and english was not his first language- his sheep was 6 1/2 years old and was somewhere between 3/4 and 7/8- even to a VERY untrained eye it wasn't legal. Both F&G guys went back and forth and eventually gave him the legal seal- after he left I told them that my partner and I had let the sheep that was with the one I shot go because we weren't 100% sure it was legal- although it was at least 7/8 and we counted 7 growth rings for sure.- they proceeded to tell me that they pretty much approve anything 7/8 or bigger because they have never won a legal battle with confiscated sheep that were 7/8. My partner doesn't regret not killing the ram- he'll be bigger next year- but what little faith in the system I had was SERIOUSLY SHAKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Good

Frank,

My experience was great. I had my sheep sealed at F/G in Fairbanks by Don Young. He aged my sheep at 91/2 years. His taping measurements were the same as mine, and gave my sheep a full curl on the left, and 7/8 on the right. He was careful plugging the horns, gave me kudos on a nice ram, and posed with me for a quick picture.

Great experience!
    Attached Images Attached Images

If the 2 guys doing the sealsing for sockeye were ADF&G, they are working out of their territory.
    If the sheep wasn't legal, enforcement should have been called and THEY should decide if a citation should be written. It is then up to the prosecutor to decide if the case is worth taking to court.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default yes

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    If the 2 guys doing the sealsing for sockeye were ADF&G, they are working out of their territory.
    If the sheep wasn't legal, enforcement should have been called and THEY should decide if a citation should be written. It is then up to the prosecutor to decide if the case is worth taking to court.

You are right on all counts, Mike.

And for any agent to say the 7/8's infraction is legally a lost cause for the state sets a terrible precedent for young hunters tempted to shoot one...

Frank

Shot a Delta ram and had it sealed in Fairbanks.

Method Used: Mark I eyeball
    Measurement: Slightly larger than mine
    Aged: Same as mine
    Remarks: Really nice ram

One thing to point out for the guys getting their sheep mounted. Make sure the plugs are being placed high enough from the base that they don't drill through the core. Taxidermists will pop the horns off the core and if F&G has put the seal there it makes things difficult. Seen some poorly placed seals at the taxi's shop.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Correction?

So if the 2 guys that did the sealing weren't biologists working for ADF&G- who were they? And I realize they may need to call someone else in order to write a citation- but they can surely confiscate the sheep- I saw them do this last year when I took another sheep in. I believe they were working on precedent that has been set in the past- like a 'pick your battles' mentality- and it does set a bad precedent to hunters- not just young ones- I am 29 and have taken a handful of sheep- all of which have been legal- the 2 instances where I have witnessed illegal sheep being taken were both guided hunters in their 40s or 50s. Again, this is what I have seen- clearly this isn't always the case.

Default Good

My experience was good. It did confirm the accounts of aging them as a magic trick.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    ...my complaint was with the gentleman in front of me- his sheep was cut off at the base of the neck- with the hide still on- F&G tried explaining to him that a taxidermist would buy the raw cape- but he didn't understand- he had been guided and english was not his first language- his sheep was 6 1/2 years old and was somewhere between 3/4 and 7/8- even to a VERY untrained eye it wasn't legal. Both F&G guys went back and forth and eventually gave him the legal seal...
    That's a bunch of ****!! So if I hire a guide and don't speak english I can shoot any sheep I want and get away with it??!! What a piss poor example to set.

Makes me wonder what the conviction rate for hunting violations really is.

Default Good experience

Had my sheep and my sister's sheep sealed in Palmer and have no complaints. My sheep was 8 and hers was 10 as we had both estimated. The whole process took about 20 minutes and the guys there were great to talk to. They even asked how we planned on having them mounted so they could plug it in a decent spot.

Smile

Palmer office was great,less then 10 min. before he sealed my ram he ask me if this location was ok....very good experince...