Thread: Reminder time...

Default Reminder time...

I am a little bit amazed at all the attention a possible dead Rainbow Trout on the Russian river has received lately here and in the paper. Not that I condone illegal fishing practices, but I think people would benefit more from discussing the near tragedy on Skilak Lake the other day and reminding each other about boating safety. I cant believe that I have not seen anything about this here, on other forums, or in the news. It seems to me that this would be the type of thing that the state would want people to hear about and make them think a little bit. Swamped boat, buddy floats off, Helo rescue, everyone OK (luckily). Just seems like a good time remind people how quick things can go upside down in a hurry, and that the water is **** cold. Stay Safe!

Default both are worthy

I didn't hear the boating accident news. Do you have a link? This definately sounds like a good reminder. I was canoeing recently on the Gulkana and got breached on a subsurface rock. Just moments before we were laughing and enjoying the warm fall weather. That changed quickly. My girlfriend and I were able to swim to shore (later I was able to go back and peel my canoe off). If the water would have been colder, it would have been a much different situation.

At the same time, I am quite passionate about wild fish, particularly the amazing rainbow trout. I was so happy to see so many people pipe up and show total displeasure with what happened on the Russian. It brought me a lot of hope for our future fishing -- regardless of rules and regulations, if people dont endorse something, they will undermine it, so I am glad to see so many rainbow lovers out there.

Skilak is a lake not to be messed with, With the raging winds and rain over the alast few day one would wonder why you would want to go out on the lake or float through the canyon. I fished the river all weekend and with the winds and severe gust there was no way id put any boat in skilak. Im very glad everyone made it out ok. Still one has to look at themselves and the conditions they are running the river and the lake on. Skilak is and can be worse than the inlet.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I'm from Colorado, I drifted the Middle on the 6th, weather couldn't have been better when we crossed. Don't know what part of the lake they got in trouble wether it was the beginning of their day or the end? The lake is definately intimidating.

Default Skilak

I caught a ride up out of the middle with some guys from Colorado last year. It was dark and the lake was turned upside down. I told them to park it and I would walk them to the campground. They thanked me when we got back alive. I dont believe in pushing it.

Always be prepared to hike or spend the night if you run the canyon!