Thread: Mauser Claw Extractors

Default Mauser Claw Extractors

I would like to find out which companies provide good quality replacement mauser claw extractors. I did some searching on the net but did not get very much information. I am considering have the factory claw extractor replaced on my Daly action with a better quality one since I am having a new rifle built. Thanks

Why? Did you break the extractor that came with the action? Does it seem weak? I don't see the benefit of changing parts unless they are bad or have a history of being a problem. Just my two, but remember that the Mauser extractor is not a hard part to find, you just have not looked in the right places.

Good point, why fix it if it ain't broken. Maybe I was just caught up into thinking that aftermarket rifle parts are better than the originals.
    The gunsmith I am planning on hiring said basically the same thing about the factory trigger. Why change it out to a Timney when he can just remove the side safety and adjust it to 3lb pull like I wanted. Said it will be real nice after he is done with it. (Removing the side safety so that it will work with a 3-position safety shroud that I am having installed). Thanks

Default On that trigger...

I adjusted my Daly trigger to give a lighter pull, and a bit less sear engagement, as well as reducing the overtravel. BIG problem reared it's head...after my adjustments, (which, by the way, gave me a very nice trigger), I could cock the rifle, engage the safety, pull the trigger with the safety engaged, release the safety, and the rifle would fire! Might only have been a problem with my rifle, but I duplicated it with the boy's Daly as well. Others with Daly's and Mk X's might want to be aware of this. I see that you're going to do away with it and install a three position shroud, which is a good plan!
    Wasn't all that long ago that Remington lost a lawsuit over a boy being killed with a 700 with the exact same problem!
    Oh, by the way, there's really nothing wrong with the extractor in your Daly, BUT you will either need to modify it so it will properly engage the cartridge extractor groove on the bigger cartridge case, OR, get a replacement that's already set up for the bigger rim.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 09-11-2007 at 12:18. Reason: .

Thanks for providing that valuable information regarding the Daly and Mark X triggers. Safety is important to all of us, sharing knowledge and experiences that lead to safer operations and more reliable designs of our firearms is greatly appreciated.
    I was considering having the gunsmith modify the claw extractor to save some money on the project. I will compare costs. Having rifles built is an expensive passion and I am not even into the Dakotas or Empires, yet. Well maybe it is time to look for a better paying job. Thanks