Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Officer Burton has been busy

Default Officer Burton has been busy

One person: Take Caribou with rifle inside Dalton Highway Corridor
    Subsequent investigation revealed that a hunter had taken a bull caribou with a rifle inside the Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area. The hunters caribou and rifle were seized during the investigation.

Another: Take Caribou with rifle inside Dalton Highway Corridor, Fail to
    leave evidence of sex naturally attached. Subsequent investigation revealed that a hunter took a bull caribou with a rifle inside the Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area and had failed to leave evidence of sex naturally
    attached to the meat. The hunters caribou and rifle were seized during the
    investigation.

More: Take Caribou with rifle inside Dalton Highway Corridor x's 5, Take
    over limit Caribou x's 2, Take Cow Caribou Closed Season, Wanton Waste
    x's 2, Antlers before meat, Fail to leave evidence of sex naturally
    attached x's 4. Subsequent investigation revealed that a hunter had taken 4 bull caribou (two over his limit) with a rifle inside the Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area. In addition, the hunter took a cow caribou closed season within the corridor. He failed to salvage the edible meat from two entire carcasses, and transported one set of antlers from the field without first salvaging the edible meat from the caribou. The hunters caribou and rifle were seized during the investigation.

Glad to see he is up there keep track of things.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Why

What were these people thinking? Is it really that hard to follow the rules? That is why green peace is always up our but!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default thnx Dave

I was searching the Alaska State Trooper web site for recent "busts" a few weeks ago hoping to see one of these. During my week on the Haul I heard of (I know...hearsay is dangerous) more than one person taking well inside 5 miles. It sure is tough for our law enforcement to keep everyone straight. So, it is our job to support the effort...call the violation phone number, take plate numbers, etc. Hell, talk with a fella if you think he has possibly err'd.

Tony

Looks like great arrests, but they'll only have impact if the courts back him up. Anyone wanna place bets on that?

Default Well

Well if anyone spots the fines post it without the names or connecting them in any way except the post above.

Default exscuse my french

These people are obviously MORONS. Why would any even try to get away with something like that. I hope they are fined and banned from hunting again. Those were some expensive caribou, and for the guy who shot 4 caribou. YOU SIR ARE A COMPLETE IDIOT.

Just to play devil's advocate here, I have heard that it can sometimes be difficult to determine the 5 mile rule because of curves in the road, etc. I have never been to the haul road so I don't know if this is the case, and if I went, I would likely take my bow instead of a rifle just so I didn't have to walk so far. But it seems that a person could leave the road, walk 5 miles, but end up only 4 1/2 from the road because of a curve, etc. I don't know, maybe the road is straight and I'm off line here, but it just seems plausible. I think I would try to walk 6 just to be safe.

Of course, if the guy walked 2 miles only rather than making a good faith effort at 5, then yeah, ticket him up. Also, the guy that took four bulls and a cow . . . well that is just plain stupid. I am surprised he actually had a vehicle to go home in. I think they can seize those as well, no? Of course, an officer might not want to take your vehicle up there, leaving you stranded on the haul road.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate here, I have heard that it can sometimes be difficult to determine the 5 mile rule because of curves in the road, etc.
    That is another reason *WHY* you should always carry a GPS when hunting up north. A few years ago when hunting the Ivashak I saw a number of obviously rifle hunting groups between IceCut and Pump #2...no inforcement that I could see. One guy said "all you have to do is cross the Sag and it is legal to use your rifle", he tried to get us to go along with that. But back to my point, a GPS can be a life saver and I will always carry one attached to me at all times. There is NO excuse to not know where you are IMHO. A 1/2 hour show on TV called "Ghost Hunters" (I think) show a Ivashak hunt that my GPS show they were 2.4 miles from the road...and it was a rifle hunt.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate here, I have heard that it can sometimes be difficult to determine the 5 mile rule because of curves in the road, etc. I have never been to the haul road so I don't know if this is the case, and if I went, I would likely take my bow instead of a rifle just so I didn't have to walk so far. But it seems that a person could leave the road, walk 5 miles, but end up only 4 1/2 from the road because of a curve, etc. I don't know, maybe the road is straight and I'm off line here, but it just seems plausible. I think I would try to walk 6 just to be safe....
    The road is not straight and the rules don't say walk 5 miles before shooting, they say be outside the corridor. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, so sayeth the regs.

The best method for determining where the 5 mile line is, is to use map software and a GPS. Determine where you want to hunt, place a waypoint on the road and scroll due west until 5 miles is indicated mark that point and load it into your GPS. If using paper maps then get a drafting compass. Use the scale legend on the map and set the pin/pencil distance to 5 miles (5 inches in most cases). Keeping the compass perpendicular to the road, follow the road on the map with the pin and trace a 5 mile line. In areas where the road curves and you want to hunt the inside of the curve side of the road, then trace overlapping arcs.

This method takes a bit of work but its worth it to be legal.

Roger and Erik: I agree with both of you that you should know where you are at when hunting in the 5 mile area, and a GPS would be a great way to do it. I guess my original point was that I would probably be hesitant to hang the guys who shot inside the 5 miles since I didn't know the circumstances - i.e. they were 4.8 miles out by mistake. Big difference than the show you thought you saw that had them at 2.4 miles.

More of my point was really just to point out how stupid that guy is that shot 5 animals. I could see a legitimate excuses/confusion on the 5 mile rule. Not so much on the 2 animal rule.

Maybe, just maybe, he thought the regs said go 2 miles and shoot 5 animals? Bahaha.

Default Reading between the lines

I left the names of the people out. If you knew the nationality of the people, you might be thinking that they were only after the antlers as the antlers in their country of orgin is used for medicianal purposes.

When trying to figure out a bear bait station and how far I am from the road, I drive down the road in the area and make a point every 1/4 mile. Then when I go into the woods, I have a better idea if I am away from the road or any bends.

Does anyone have the map that used to be sold a Artic Gun Works? Maybe we can duplicate it is some manner electronically so it is available to forum members.

Any bowhunting related violations out there?

Dave , hi
    any idea which side of the road the 4 bou were killed?
    5 bou limit to west but west of east bank of kuparuk river and i don't recall boundry as you head south and get toward road........but you still have to be 5 miles from the road and who would want to carry out 5 bou????? 5 + MILES
    i sure hope they throw the book at them.....court still in Barrow???? heard talk it was going to be moved to fairbanks for haul road violations.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default The guys

The guys were well within the boundry.

Best news is that I don't recall reading of any bow hunting violations. Bow hunters seem to be having a really good year regualtion wise. Maybe the numbers are down, maybe increased enforcement. Either way, good for us this year.

Lightbulb Google Earth

If you haven't played with this - it's a great tool. Since you have the opportunity to see a satellite photo - not just a map overlay - you can calculate very precise coordinates.

I use it for just about everything.

There are basically three versions: The free one on Googles web page, a free software version you can download (mac or pc), and a version for $19.95/year that allows you to interact with your GPS (download tracks, waypoints, etc.)

Anyway - regarding this topic; you can see the Dalton, grab the 'ruler' and determine a five mile window based upon a planned hunting area (same for your bait station).

For those who haven't been to the Dalton, this tool can help you appreciate the road path.
    It is a pretty straight road; but there are a few bends that can make it difficult to get 5 miles from any point in the road.
    "Guestimating" a 5 mile walk on the tundra is pretty much impossible; heck it's hard enough to range a critter from 20-100 yards on the tundra - let alone walk on it.

In a nutshell, the law says five miles, not 4.9... technology is available at an affordable rate (if you can afford to drive or fly up there, you can surely afford a $100 gps). The LAW has this technology, and rest assured, they use it.

Dave,

I may have the map you're looking for. If I do I have a couple copies of it. It's the one with the 2.5 mile line and the 5 mile line starting at atigun pass, it shows the complete corridor from the yukon north to prudhoe also.

I picked up my copies from the fox sports den, the old bow shop in fairbanks that is now gone. Costs like 12 bucks comes in a white big envelope deal.

Let me know when you'll be in fairbanks, I can get you copies if you cannot find it.

Imagine what the trooper blotter would be like if there was that kind of enforcement on the russian river!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Imagine what the trooper blotter would be like if there was that kind of enforcement on the russian river!

USDA Forest Service, Forest Protection Officers put in over 550 hours this summer patrolling the Forest Service side of the river. They also patrolled the USFWS areas but did not have authority to write citations in those areas. Tickets issued by the Forest Service wouldn't show up on the trooper page. The Russian River received way more than its share of enforcement this summer. Just because you may not have seen them when you were there doesn't mean they weren't on the river. Besides, you were probably sampling fish in the bay during the heat of the run.

http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp...&nav=menu510_2

What do they do with the confiscated meat?

Default Usually

Usually it becomes the property of the State and then it is the decision of the officer how to take care of it. I would suppose if it were still good it was donated to a needy family of one of the native groups up there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast