Thread: Becoming a guide.

Default Becoming a guide.

I know making a living out of guiding is difficult. But I am curious about what the first step is to becoming a registered Alaskan hunting guide.
    Thanks for any info

If I'm not mistaken, the first step is usually to work as a packer for a registered guide for a year or two. After that (though I'm not sure if that step is technically required) you have to work as an assistant guide under a registered guide for two years. Once you have done that you must pass an exam for each unit you want to guide in.

There are a number of registered guides on this forum. Is this correct, fellas?

Default Becoming an assistant guide

I don't know all the rules, but as I recall to become an assistant guide you need to have hunted in Alaska the two consecutive years previous to applying, and have a recommendation from a registered or master guide.

After that, I defer to the guides and the regulations posted on the Department of Commerce, Community, & Economic Development website. Navigate there from www.state.ak.us, if you like.

Default Here

is some more info for ya. Good luck on your quest. http://www.labor.state.ak.us/research/dlo/guide.htm

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. Do you think these rules apply to small game(mainly waterfowl) guiding or am I talking about another set of regulations.
    Your info has been very helpful!!

Default guiding for ducks and small game

currently there are no requirements, but if you are taking folks out in a boat you will need a coast guard license, OUPV at least.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/