Thread: Feed rail or lip modification question

Default Feed rail or lip modification question

I am making plans on having a R/H Charles Daly Long Action with a standard bolt face modified to accommodate magnum cartridges in the 3.400 length category. Looking for recommendations to make sure the action functions properly, flawlessly and the rounds chamber smoothly.

Here is what I have planned so far:
    Square action and lap lugs.
    Bolt face opened up from .473 to .534.
    Factory bolt shroud replaced with a 3-position safety shroud.
    Factory trigger replaced with a Timney trigger, adjusted to 3 lb pull.

While I was reading up on the steps necessary to have this action converted into a magnum I read a little about feed rail/lip modifications for double stack magazines; This is new to me and it brought up a whole new set of concerns with my project. Since I am not familiar feed rail or lip modifications, I need some advice on how to proceed. I want to make sure my cartridges will feed smoothly and flawlessly from the magazine to the chamber. What does this modification involve ? Thanks

It will depend on the cartridge your action is made for, and the cartridge you are going too. I can tell you most of the mods are minor, but will have significant changes in the feeding. I would respectfully suggest having a quality gunsmith who is well experienced do this for you.

For example: I corresponded with a fellow who modified a VZ-24 receiver to feed the .425 Westley-Richards cartridge. Most of his work was on the follower, not the rails. He told me it was significantly easier to get the W-R to feed even upside down, than it was for a .458 Winnie he did on another VZ-24.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

The action was designed for a 7x57mm - 30-06 cartridge. I am planning on having it modified to feed one of Murphy's custom designed cartridges based on the 375 Ruger cartridge case. I just contacted a gunsmith today to get a price quote on the work, he is the same person that designed the 3-position safety. I am still waiting for his response.
    My part in all of this is to learn as much as I can about each phase of the project, from cartridge design to selecting a rifle stock, to mounting a scope and finally to using the rifle on a hunt and seeing how well the bullet performed. I believe it is definitely better to be fully involved and engaged throughout the whole process when having your own custom rifle built, rather than sitting on the sidelines and being surprised afterward. Well some are definitely more involved in their projects than I, but for the time being I am satisfied with my role doing some research, planning, making decisions and so forth. For a man who enjoys rifles as much as I do "it doesn't get any better than this". Well, it may get better later when I start reloading my own cartridges.
    Acquiring knowledge is a worthy pursuit, learning how to properly apply it to gain experience is an achievement. Thanks

Dunlap wrote a book in the '70s on gunsmithing and there is a specific section on action work. You may be able to find it at book store on Northern Lights in ANC or have your public/school library order it for you. This will be a challenging project if you have not done it before and you will only have one chance. If you go to far, welding up those rails is a REAL challenge. Guess how I know? Good luck. J.

Appreciate the feedback. I will not be doing the actual gunsmithing work myself, I am going to hire an experienced gunsmith for that.
    Eventhough I am not doing the gunsmithing on the action it is important to me to understand how the work was done, since I will be the one carrying the rifle in the field. I think it is important for a hunter to have confidence in his rifle, knowing that it will function flawlessly at the moment of truth, same truth applies to his ammunition.
    I am going to start searching for the author of the gunsmithing book you recommended. Any other information that you can provide would be useful to help locate the book; First name, title, publisher, etc.
    Thanks

ROY F. DULAP "GUNSMITHING" go to this link and put the information in the spaces provided.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...hing&x=47&y=12

I all ready did it for you. just hit the link. Enjoy, it is a grate book, from a friend I sorely miss.