Thread: Rifle stocks for women?

Default Rifle stocks for women?

My wife seems to be getting the hunting bug ...but standard rifles don't fit her 5'4" frame worth a darn. I know that the average pull on a stock stock (haha) is 13-1/2", and that for women, the recommended pull is more like 12-3/4" ...but tain't no way in a hot place that even a 12-3/4" pull will work for her. Her left arm has to be held straight out (no bend in the elbow) to reach the forestock, and her eye is nowhere near the scope. I can adjust the scope back about 1/2" but then I'm out of room on the rear mount ...no help.

What do women of similar size to my wife do? Buy a wood-stocked gun and get it cut down? Looks to me like she'd need at least a couple of inches cut off just to get started... comments anyone?

Thanks,
    Brian

Default Youth Rifles

Several of the gun makers put out what they call Youth Rifles. These have shorter LOP.

Because your wife won't grow out of her rifle, you might consider running the table saw to cut the stock down. New pad on it and it'll look just fine.

I bought my wife and son a gun they both could use at the time,for caribou.It was a remington model 7 youth model.The barrel was kinda short,believe it was 18 inches,and it was in .243.They used it mainly for caribou hunting,fit them both good,she is only 5'. I believe it also comes in .308 and 7mm-08.

Default Youth Rifle

I second a "youth rifle". My wife has a few and it fits her well.

Good on ya...

I didn't think "youth" when I Googled around. But if you do, you can find lots of rifles, shotguns, and blackpowder guns sized for youths ...and women's shooting sites that recommend buying a 'youth' gun. Unfortunately, .308 or .270 seems to be the biggest and baddest that they'll sell and she really wants to go moose hunting. Shooting .308 w/Barnes TSX or Nosler Partition should be good enough ...right? I know a couple of folks at work that use .308's...

Here's some info:

http://www.ocshooters.com/Gen/kidsho...h-firearms.htm

Thanks,
    Brian

Thumbs up On the right track

.308 or .270 should be fine for moose. Use a heavy bullet for the caliber, keep shots under 300 yards, and don't shoot the south end of a north-facing animal.

'Course, I make the same recommendations to hunters using a .338...

You're a lucky fellow to have a wife who hunts, too. The family that spends time in the woods together is stronger and happier for it.

Default same here

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    I bought my wife and son a gun they both could use at the time,for caribou.It was a remington model 7 youth model.The barrel was kinda short,believe it was 18 inches,and it was in .243.They used it mainly for caribou hunting,fit them both good,she is only 5'. I believe it also comes in .308 and 7mm-08.
    model 7 in the 7mm-08 s.s. youth with 18". Wonder how that package would be with a 24" on it??

Thumbs up Rifles for little people...

I've been checking out www.ableammo.com and they have one of the better selections of youth rifles (and even left handed one's) that I've seen in awhile. I'm in the same dilemma with my wife, and she's 5'2". She is currently using my Ruger Ultralight in 270 for moose this year. It actually fits her pretty good, and she shoots it well, but it's a right handed model. Next year, she wants (should I say, demands) her own left handed rifle. So being the loving husband that I am, I have to buy another gun. I know, brings a tear to your eye...
    I found several brands in 243, 7mm-08, 270, 308, 7mmwsm, 300wsm, and even a 350 Rem Mag in the form of a Rem model 7 w/ a 20" pipe. The Browning BAR ShorTrac Stalker in 308 w/ a 22" bbl really caught my attention. A little more punch then some of the others with less recoil, even at 6 5/8#. The Browning Micro Hunter is a looker too. Most were around $600 and on up to $825. They were all under 7 pounds too...
    The LOP on all of these guns are under 13", most around 12 1/4"-12 5/8". With some of the wood stock models, if they were still a pinch too long for your wife, then maybe a little trimming might be in order. One model (I forget which one) even comes with a shim kit for the stock. They had them in all of the stainless, synthetic, laminate, blued and wood flavors. Hope this helps a bit.

Keep it real, use wood. Fiber glass stocks break when you beat them with them. Where as wood leaves a real impression on them.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 Mauser View Post
    .308 or .270 should be fine for moose. Use a heavy bullet for the caliber, keep shots under 300 yards, and don't shoot the south end of a north-facing animal.

'Course, I make the same recommendations to hunters using a .338...

You're a lucky fellow to have a wife who hunts, too. The family that spends time in the woods together is stronger and happier for it.
    You're talking about me, right? Making me fitter and stronger? My wife rubs whupya all over me in that category. As far as the 300 yard limit goes, that's all I trust myself to anyway (unless shooting off a rest), and 200 or less is even better ...who can't hit a 24" target at 200 yards?

Thanks! You folks have been very helpful, as always.

Brian