Thread: Murphy, Opinion of the Montana Rifle Company

Default Murphy, Opinion of the Montana Rifle Company

Murphy, What is your opinion about the Montana Rifle Company actions and barrels?
    For some of us lefties they offer a reasonably priced choice we can not find elsewhere.
    Good, bad, and the ugly are appreciated. My experience is limited to one 458 Lott I had that was delivered with the incorrect bolt stop but it was easily fixed. I find the actions a little to heavy for building a light weight rifle but other than that the quality seems to be fine.
    Peyton, Colorado

I would also like to add that I have learned to appreciate your educated and well thought out responses. I thought I knew a great deal about rifles and handguns in general but your knowledge far exceeds mine. I welcome and value your opinions.
    Peyton, Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I would also like to add that I have learned to appreciate your educated and well thought out responses. I thought I knew a great deal about rifles and handguns in general but your knowledge far exceeds mine. I welcome and value your opinions.
    I thought if I wait a while longer it would give you more time to post all these glowing reviews about me. Oh well, maybe not.

Thanks for your confidence in me and the warm buttery words.

I have had six rifles made on MRC actions and have seen and shot dozens more. I have only seen one with a problem and that was immediately fixed when sent back to Montana. Their barrels a straight an uniform but s little rough, need a little breakin. All of mine have been very good and I have had them make barreled actions and just bought their actions and had a smith make a rifle. My most recent is a 338 WSM with a 22" Broughton barrel. it has been covered with a thin candy shell of all weather finish and with that (cera-kote) the action is, or her was, rough. Rougher than before the finish.

Design: There ain't much wrong with it. They are based on the pre-64 Winchester action but it is thicker and heavier than the M-70, with some minor differences. The trigger and safety are the same as are the extractor and ejector. Very good well proven stuff. This action is made by Pine Tree Castings (I think that is the name of the cmpany) it is cast to as close as possible to it's finished size, requiring minimal machining to finish. This is what keeps the price down. This technology is often referred to powder metal technology but really isn't. They use powdered ingredients of all the elements of the steel and then mix in the exact proportion, then heat, mix and cast the part. This maintains the integrity of the alloy and maintains a very high quality casting. This company makes castings for several gun makers.

The MRC action is conventional with Mauser lockup and claw extractor. It has all the good stuff we want in a reliable rifle. Design is A-. The minus would be from very small things such as the bolt disassembly tab and the extra weight of the action body.

Quality of construction: This rifle is along the same lines as the Ruger M77 in quality of construction. Not bad but not a Kimber. Also the actions are a little rough. Not enough polish on the bearing surfaces. This can be fixed but is expensive work for the smith but you can do this final polish your self.
    Quality/workmanship: B (Dakota is an A, Ruger is a B-, Kimber is a B+)

I don't think MRC will chamber for my wildcats anymore....it's not just me, they don't do that any more. So I have to use another action or have the work done elsewhere. I was told by MRC, they will only chamber for factory cartridges. Of course buyng one of their actions and the barrel of choice and sending to your smith will work well, too.

My biggest complaint with them is they are a heavy action. I'm not sure if this is because they are cast and have to be thicker, I don't know. For me they have been very reliable and rugged actions. The equal of any action in strength. I would still use them when I don't want to sink a ton of money into a project. You could have a complete, stocked rifle for about $1500. That is with the best in abrrel and stock, installed. You could then add sights, barrel band, etc.

There are not a lot of options when searching for an action. I sometimes like to use a good Mauser action just because it adds some character to the rifle or if I find a pre-64 action, they are light weight. A good used M98 or pre-64 will cost $500 or more and may need repair.

All in all, MRC is not a bad action at all.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have a kit that contains different sized polishing compounds from 400 to something like 1200 grit. During the days when I was a Remington freak I did a fair job of smoothing out the actions but I have never tackled polishing a CRF such as the Montana.
    Could you please offer some advice on how to proceed as I have a 458 Lott MRC due in any day.
    Peyton, Colorado

Default One other fairly major MRC design point...

I didn't see you mention the Mauser style C ring in the front receiver ring. Of course, the M70 Winchester, as well as the M1903 and 03A3, use a cone breech with much thinner walls there.
    For lightweight rifles, I'm prone to use the 03, or look for a 1936 Mexican Mauser, a G33/40, or a VZ33.....if I'm not chasin' Mrs. Walton around the house, I'm in the dungeon hand-working over a military rifle. Beats watching TV!!!
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 09-11-2007 at 10:51. Reason: .

Its been a few years... Anything new on the MRCs? MRC vs. Kimber?

Thanks!