Thread: Sheep Rifle?Cooper, Montana, Kimber or make one.

Default Sheep Rifle?Cooper, Montana, Kimber or make one.

Dear Shooters,

I have been thinking about buying a dedicated sheep/Goat Rifle in either a Cooper Arms model 22 in phoenix configuration(single shot I know) but many say they are accurate. I would trade a little weight for their kind of proposed accuracy.

Montana would be a make it up yourself and k.i.s.s. with mcmillan hunter's edge or Lone Wolf lber.

Kimber would be get the 84 and then work it over.

Or I could prowl around till I found something on sale.

I know both Remington 788 and 600 are a little ugly but IMHO both have better quality control then many of the present offerings.

I looked at a remington ti and at 5lbs 5oz in 06 it was tempting but the bolt sounds weird and actually kind of freaked me out. I was told at SW that titanium does that?

Normally, I just carry model 70 300 win that weighs about 8.5 lbs but I have been spending more time in the sheep hunting/ Goat hunting arena and figure that ammo prices and capabilities make 308 a great caliber for sheep.

I know a lot of people are Woodpecker crazy(Tikka) so maybe they could plead their case too.

I am just interested in opinions.

Sincerely,

Thomas

This is the one area that reminds me of auto racing, "how fast do you want to go, how much money do you have to spend"?

To get the weight way down and to still have hunting accuracy you really need to go with the glass wrapped SS barrels.

I don't remember the name of the pure ugliest rifle ever made, it has an ironing board forend, it is a rifle that is built for sheep hunters, it's also a switch barrel rifle. The real appeal is it is lighter than anything else you can buy or build.

Default Theoretical maximum

I am thinking that $1500 would be maximum with a little more for the Cooper.

I haven't heard many opinions on the Cooper Rifles but they promise 5 shots in 1/2 inch at 100 yards with handloads. Most come with targets that are one holers.

I think that they advertise for about $1400 for model 22.

I guess I could go with ruger model 1 if I am willing to settle for a single shot and save money but I am a little curious about the Coopers.

I probably would put either a leupold ultralight or a swarovski 3x9X36 with talley one piece rings and bases outfit.

I just can't afford a strata or a NULA.

I have also thought about the buy and sell stevens 200 in 270 until I find a winner and then rebed it and put in basix trigger with Leupold on top.

Thomas

My first response would be the Kimber Montana in ss with the syn stock in caliber 270 WSM. Add either a Leupold lightweight 2x7 or 3x9. Light, stable, durable, and the 270 WSM is a smoking round that seems to be ignored lately. I bet it would hit 3,300 fps with the 130 gr bullet. Maybe a tad less with the Montana's shorter barrel.
    Tennessee

Kifaru rambiling rifle was the one I was trying to remember, they weight just a little over 3 lbs without scope. and are just bone ugly.

They also have a whole line of outdoor gear for the sheep nuts out there.

Default Dedicated Sheep rifle

Look closely at a Kimber Montana 84M in 7-08 or .308. Put on a pair of Talley Lightweight's with a 2.5-8x38 VXIII. "All up" is about 6# 2 oz..

Default Not to spoil the fun

Unless you HAVE to spend $1500, just get a Tikka T-3 in your choice of calibers and never look back. Spend the extra on optics and good boots.

Dave

Thumbs up

300 ultra mag with the B @ C leupold.....good price and hard to beat....