Thread: Murphy M70?

Default Murphy M70?

During the recent conversations on .375's you stated you had seen problems with the Win. M70 from the last 10 years related to QC rather than design.

Please elaborate. I have two of these. One of the first LH actions (action only) produced that I picked from a competative shooter that had it worked over for NRA Highpower (not sure I'll need the stripper clip guide for hunting sheep & goats!) and a latter LH rifle in .338. I've had no trouble with the latter rifle.

Your statement has me wondering...should I pick up certain/trouble prone spare parts while they are available? Any thing else I should have looked at?

Thank you.

What I have seen with them was in one of three problems. About half of them needed shims under the scope base to allow scope adjustments to center the reticle. The chamber, particularly in the belted mags, at the belt area or the base end of the chamber, I have found several (6, I think) that were out of round severely enough to see when you look. This shows up on the brass when fired. I have seen two 375 H&H that would not chamber a round due to the belt area of the chamber too small, actually elongated. One of these came to me with a factory round severly stuck in the chamber.

I have seen no problems where anything broke and all the problems I've seen would be noticed initially and not crop up later. One rifle had a 375 H&H caliber stamped on the box and the barrel was stamped 300 Win mag. It was in fact a 375 H&H. I have in the past 10 years, actually ten of the past 12 years, seen about 150 new Winchester model 70 rifles of various calibers. Generally to mount scopes and load ammo and sight in. I had one that was out of the box without a trigger spring, and the nuts were screwed down to where it would not allow the gun to cock, (the sear wouldn't set). Like I say, all were out of the box screw-ups not a field failure. If you have a good one you have a good one. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

It has been recommended to me that the claw extractor be replaced on a dangerous game rifle - Williams apparently makes a good quality spring steel replacement. D'Arcy Echols does this on all of his rifles. Not sure exactly what info you are seeking but thought I would pass on that recommendation given to me.

I have been using the Williams claw extractor for more than 20 years and have yet to have a return or complaint. When I got the first one I was concerned as they are a cast spring. That has proven to have not been a worry. I've used and use on my own M-70's (all pre 64's) these springs to the point that I no longer even think about them.

Default Question answered.

Thanks to all. I have this ability to buy guns from companies that go out of business and then have no parts or service available. I've become "sensitive" to the thought of not having my bang sticks not go bang in the future.

I've got three Dan Wessons. One time the major mail order companies sold all of the parts. None to be had now.

I bought a TCR87. Many companies used to sell the barrels...not any more. I've heard mixed reports if TC will fix them or just try to replace them with something current.

I bought a Kimber of Oregon .22 for the wife and myself. Bought another one at the auction when they went out of business (my retirement gun!). Met Dan Cooper there and watched as he bought all the spare parts. From him I bought a couple of each that I thought I might need in the future to keep them going. The present day Kimber doesn't even make a LH .22.

Was it only a few short years ago that CMP would sell us up to 10 per year of any part for the M1 and M14?

Now Winchester.

If there are weak points in the parts I'd like to have that part available so when the gunsmith tells me my thing a bobb is broke and I need a new one, but none are available...I want to be able to pull one out of my parts stash and get the gun up and running again.

I've seen the ads for the Williams and with your good reviews, I think I'll pick up a couple. The rest I won't worry about.

Thanks again.

"I've got three Dan Wessons. One time the major mail order companies sold all of the parts. None to be had now."

Ain't this the same guy that sells the chairs on TV for the cripple folks?

Kinda of clever of old Dam Wesson, first you sell them a gun to cripple themselves with, then you sell them a electric chair to get around in.

I hated those Dam Wesson since they first came out and I started repairing them. I was over joyed when they went off the market.

Was it Wesson that said "I wish I could afford to give everybody in America one of my revolvers, just so I could sell them parts" ?

Sir; Dan Wesson died some time back. I don't think you've seen him on T.V.