Thread: Tundra fire

Default Tundra fire

Yes, believe it or not, the tundra is on fire.

For you guys coming north be advised that things are pretty smoky anywhere from Pump 3 to Deadhorse (depending on the wind).

There is a small fire near the Sag/Ivishak confluence east of PS2 and another much large fire about 15 miles west of PS2, plus there is a huge fire on the northern flanks of Anaktuvuk Pass 90 miles west of PS3.

Lightning storms last week are the assumed cause at this point.

Default Bound

It was almost bound to happen this year. It was as dry as a tinder box in August. I have never seen it so dry.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

This smoke sucks. Prudhoe has been getting a pretty good dose of it since around 2pm yesterday.

Default It'll be awesome walking...

once the fire dies down on the tundra afterwards, at least on the hilly parts of the tundra...

Default I think

I think every time I saw a white-sox's wings burn off there would be a cheer. Bugs have got to be better now.

It will be interesting to see next year on how the tundra responds to the fires. Remember the first year after the fires between the Yukon and Fairbanks. All of the violet flowers that sprang up and the morells.

Default tundra fire

Hey Erik, What kind of caribou numbers are you seeing up there these days?
    Might be heading up that way this Fri.

Default Friends

I had friends return on Sunday. They saw the most near Toolik Lake but harvested nothing. Mind you though, they were looking for P&Y with traditional equipment. Only saw 2 really big bulls. Much of the bou were in small groups wandering around.

Fulldraw, the caribou I see are off limits--I work in Prudhoe. I got home yesterday so I have no info for the next 2 weeks.

Default Tundra fire boo

Daveinthebush and Erik thxs fro the reply,Still plannin on headin up and givin it a go.Good luck on the sheep hunt Erik.

Default Best of luck!

Best of luck up there. I am, barring gale force winds gonna try for a goat. Fall is the best time of the year. The smell of the leaves, cool air, geese flying anf most seasons are open.

I went down to Pump 2 tonight to check out the fire. The wind was blowing the smoke right over the top of pump 2. Fire was about 2-3 miles east of pump 2 on the bluff that hides the Ivishak from the road. Saw it coming out from a few different locations. I couldn't see any actual fire, but saw where the smoke is coming right off the ground. I took a couple pictures with a cheapo disposable camera and will try and get them developed on Thursday when I get back to Fairbanks and post a picture before heading out to moose camp on Friday... no promises though.

Anybody ever hear of a wildfire up here before?

Default fires

those fires have been burning for over a month now. being that dry is great for hunting in your socks but not great because it feeds the fires.