Thread: !7 ft Alaskan and what brand 135 hp ??

Default !7 ft Alaskan and what brand 135 hp ??

It will be a prop / jet with a hydraulic CMC lift.I had one in Dillingham 10 years ago with a 115 hp Evinrude but motors have come a long way. Weight and quick rev are important. Also I did to know WHY you chose the brand you do.

I researched motors for 6 months before I put a deposit on a 200 Optimax for my new Alaskan for a couple of reasons.
    First my research showed the newer models were extremely reliable, fuel economy for the Optimax is better than the Etecs or the 4 strokes, they are a good deal lighter than a comparable 4 stroke, and they are less maintence.
    Everyone has a different opinion as to what motors are the best but my research lead me to putting my money on the Optimax.
    Tennessee

I take it that it is a 17 Alaskan Wooldridge. I put a Suzuki 115 four stroke on mine with a jet. The motor and boat are 2007 models. I will be looking at getting a prop for mune for next year as I am spending alot of time on deep rivers where a jet is not required. As for why I bought this brand it took quite a bit of looking a stats and dependability as there is no dealer in fbks. I have around sixty hours on it so far and it has been a great motor. It gets from 6 to 8 gph and runs and avg of 32 mph 9that is both down river and up river combined). Please let me know how the lift works on this boat.

Thanks Snowwolf for the thought - I to like the Merc Optimax.But will wait for other ideas as well. What are you going to hang the 200 on? YukonPete I had a CMC manuel lift. It was installed by Wooldrige and worked great. I never had to lift the motor to go prop / jet I would just loosen the bolts and use a 2x4 under the skag and the trailer hitch lift to do my changeout.I would start the spring with the prop and switch to jet when the water dropped. I went with the manuel because it was cheaper and lighter but would like hyd one so I could adjust on the fly for load and water conditions. The initial mounting is crucial so be warned to get it right the first time. Any more questions let me know.

I plan on installing a 20 inch shaft version on my Alaskan II with a jet pump. Then when I want to switch over to the prop for moose hunting (primary reason I bought this boat) I will add a 5 inch extension kit from http://www.baymfg.com/ and install the lower prop drive. This puts the prop about an inch higher than the optimal setting but entirely satisfactory.
    This set up allows you to run the jet or reinstall the prop without using any sort of jack plate or remounting of the motor. The only negative is the Bay kit is about $500.
    Other members here have done something similar and are happy with the results.
    Tennessee

Sounds like you have put the study on it.Yes it would be money ? and weight saved to not have a jack plate. What lenght Alaskan II a 20 foot I guess? Did you look at the Xtras? Too heavy I think? I also think the 18 Alaskan II might be the nuts.Your thoughts? When everything is good going bigger is better but when water gets tight and your hung up you wish the boat was smaller.Funny how that works.

Try doing a search here as there is a lot of information about Wooldridge boats including the Alaskan.
    I had mine custom built and it is 23 foot long. If I had the extra $7,500 I would of ordered the same size boat but it would of been the new model Super Sport Drifter.
    Tennessee

Post 23' AKII vs. 23' SSD

Snowwolfe, sounds like I'm going through the same decision making process you have already went through in regards to the Wooldridge boats. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I started by looking seriously at the Sportjon and XS mainly for the shallow water performance for moose hunts but was turned off by the noise and didn't think they would function too well as salt water fishing boats. Now after 2 WB visits, I'm back on outboard jets with the flexibility of going between prop and jet, just like you have done with Bay. Sure, a little more work, but you get the best of both worlds, and still retain the tunnel. I know this is a little outside the scope of this thread, feel free to send me a email if you have the time to share your thoughts on your new boat.

So what attracted you to the SSD versus the AKII? Do you wish you had spent the extra money? (from what I gathered the extra $ for the SSD was one of the reasons you went with the AKII)
    Are you happy with the 200HP Opti given the extra 3' of length & weight? Wish you had gone bigger?
    The main differences I see are 9 versus 10 degree deadrise and 69" vs. 84" bottoms (and the associated weights). I think the SSD may even have a variably increasing deadrise as you go towards the bow.
    I'm also really curious on how the layout changed. Did the boat just get stretched in the back or did the windshield move back as well to give you more bow space? (I would like to put a 7' ATV up front in either model - Glen will also do a landing craft drop bow on either model). Have you had it in salt? How does it handle the chop? Think the SSD would handle better?
    Anyways, it would be great to hear any likes/dislikes, changes, etc or even photos if you have them! Thanks.