Thread: Favorite trout net?

Default Favorite trout net?

Just wanted to see what is your favorite trout (and grayling and dollies) net? The type of net you sling over your back when not in use, not some for shore or boat angling.

I have been using one more recently that fish get tangled in sometimes. Maybe the better question to ask is, what material/style of net do you use and like?

For catch and release fishing I like getting the fish off the hook as quick as possible and swimming free, so I am looking to buy a new net to help toward that end...

Default Landing Nets

I think in many situations, landing nets are not needed. I always try and bring a fish to hand without using one because of fish stress, loss of protective slime and the inconvenience. Proper tension on the fish and manipulations will usually allow a quick release without using a net; just don't wear the fish out! I do however always carry a net and prefer the new light weight rubber landing nets (I use a shallow Fisknat brand) but there are many good ones on the market. If you do use a net, just stay away from cotton nets that have knots as they are usually deep and tangle easily. They also do a number on the protective slime so important to survival. And remember just because a fish swims away, doesn't mean it will survive.

Wyatt

I'm sold on Measure Nets from Abel for trout. If they made them big enough for salmon, I'd use those too. They are just the right size for trout, very light, float well, and let you measure the fish with no handling whatsoever. One of those "Why didn't I think of that?" kind of inventions. Makes so much sense you wonder why it wasn't invented about 50 years ago.

Default very cool

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'm sold on Measure Nets from Abel for trout. If they made them big enough for salmon, I'd use those too. They are just the right size for trout, very light, float well, and let you measure the fish with no handling whatsoever. One of those "Why didn't I think of that?" kind of inventions. Makes so much sense you wonder why it wasn't invented about 50 years ago.
    I dont measure most of my fish, but on occasion I do. This looks like a great way to do that...