Thread: How much fuel will I burn

Default How much fuel will I burn

Any one have a idea of how much fuel I would use one way going from Whittier to the south end of Montague going 19knots using 12-13 gph??

I'd post it to the powerboats forum...

Depending on the path you take it is 95-110 miles. Google Earth is a free down load that has good satelite coverage and a ruler function for measuring distances. Remember that tide, winds, and waves can affect your fuel consumption tremendously. The general rule of thumb is 1/3 of the fuel is used outbound, the rest for the trip back.
    1989 24' Custom Almar, 460 3-stage SS Kodiak jet

I know about the wind, water conditions, etc... I was wondering if someone had done it already how much to expect to use on a calm day and the direct route.

If my math is right. 19 knts = 22.8 mph. considering 100 miles, it would take you 4.39 hours to get there. If you burn 13 gph then you would burn 57 gallons to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by aufevermike View Post
    If my math is right. 19 knts = 22.8 mph. considering 100 miles, it would take you 4.39 hours to get there. If you burn 13 gph then you would burn 57 gallons to get there.
    aufevermike . . (sorry 'bout the game yesterday man ) . . the conversion for nautical miles to statute miles is 1.1 knots to every statute mile, therefore the speed would actually be 21.86. The time enroute would be 4.57, and fuel consumed at 13 gph would be 59.47 gallons. A small difference, but one that could have really bad consequences if something like a little weather kicked up or a mechanical issue caused a change in the fuel burn . . . . using the 1/3 out 2/3 in rule, it shouldn't matter.

Cheers,

SH

I think he is asking if anyone has made the trip in there boat, not just using a caculator to figure it out. I would like to know also. I have already caculated it out just want to know real life experience.

Quote Originally Posted by hookedoo View Post
    I think he is asking if anyone has made the trip in there boat, not just using a caculator to figure it out. I would like to know also. I have already caculated it out just want to know real life experience.
    My longest run out there is to Latouche passage. Round trip is about 160 miles, and I've averaged about 75 gallons fuel burned, leaving me about 75 gallons in the tank. But the variables (weather, wind, load) cause as much as a 15% variation (60-90 gallons round trip) . . .
    I travel at 28-30 mph (12 gph), and the trip is about 3-3.5 hours each way.

I also tend to run the northern route (through Culross and Dangerous) which gives longer runs of protected water (but increases both the distance and time).

I always hand crank the float plan, recognizing it's under ideal conditions, and then bounce it off of reality - which is different each day.

Cheers,SH