Thread: haul road or quebec?

Default haul road or quebec?

planning a caribou hunt for next year and just after reading all of these posts im not sure if its worth it for me to fly from pennsylvania and hunt haul road or go with outfitter in quebec. i thought haul road was supposed to be pretty isolated from other hunters, people, etc. and it seems trophys are hard to come by. was kinda hoping to be alone for some nice spot and stalk hunts but from reading these posts it sounds like whitetail hunting here in the east with a hundred guys in a small area. any opinions would be appreciated.

Unfortunately the Haul Road is getting more and more packed every year. From the east coast, I'd really consider a guided hunt in Quebec over a long trip up here. Too much attention is being drawn to the Haul Road through the internet these days that it is only going to get worse.

Default have done both

I recommend Club chambeau, I have hunted with them twice, they are out of montreal, and fly you to schefferville, put you on a seaplane and take you to the caribou. They have many camps spread out all over northern quebec. They pretty much garentee you to fill your tag, as they don't have the same Can't fly and hunt the same day, and they will move you if needed. If you want more info, they have a website, and you can drop me a line.

Where in PA. I moved to AK 4 years ago. grew up in tioga county PA. The hunting up north is crowded if your by the road. However i take a frame pack and walk even 1-2 miles and your alone. People are to lazy to get away from there trucks.
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

I won't hunt the Haul Road anymore and I live in Alaska. I save my pennies and fly out away from the people now.

im from scranton.

Default just my thoughts

I was asked this question numerous times by out of staters--and I strongly suggested that they do a fly in hunt if they wanted to get away from others--lets face it then you don't have to worry about the 5 mile rule and can take both your bow/rifle and have a choice. There are plenty of bou on the haul, but not much cover and if you can reach the bou, then at least 4 others will be trying to do the same--even if you are in position first. I had fun and was blessed to have a chance at a nice animal--but wouldn't do the haul road again, unless I just didn't have the money.

I think the Haul Road is a fantastic hunt if you're willing to get off the road a ways. I hunted half of my days near the road and half of my days 1-3 miles from the road. When I set out on foot I typically saw fewer caribou, but I never had any company on the stalk. When I was near the road there were always other people chasing the same animals. When I go again I will just hunt from camp once I figure out the general location of the animals. Most who speak poorly of the Haul Road crowds never leave the near-road area.

IMO, definitley Quebec, just for the fact that those antlers are so cool lookin' and it seems like it would be a cooler hunt with flying out/boating/etc.

Default scranton nd?

I would not go to the haul road. We went this year for the first time (and last) and were highly disappointed with the antics of all the hunters. Save your money and go to Quebec, even if takes you two years to save...

Default Haul Road

I'd have to agree with "Brian M". I do love the Haul Rd hunt as long as I don't fall into the tempting trap of hunting the road. Get off 1 mile and see if anyone blows your stalk. I like "do-it-yourself", "no-guarantee" hunting. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast&Blast View Post
    I'd have to agree with "Brian M". I do love the Haul Rd hunt as long as I don't fall into the tempting trap of hunting the road. Get off 1 mile and see if anyone blows your stalk. I like "do-it-yourself", "no-guarantee" hunting. Good Luck.
    Is a drop-off hunt in K-bec a possibility?

Default drop hunt in quebec!

Club chambeau has many different types of hunts, there drop hunt at their cabins is half the price of thier fully guided hunts, and well worth it. I'd say it's better. They even have boats for you to use, and they supply the gas!!

Default deltana

just call deltana outfitters they hunt the north slope and take trophy bou for a all in one price. just show up with your rifle or bow and they will put you on the bou.

Just moved to Alaska, and will be hunting the Haul road this Oct. I do plan to hike in a few miles. Have you heard anything from up there about the herd?