Thread: 25-300 Wsm

Arrow 25-300 Wsm

Anyone have any experience reloading for this one easy to make just neck down the 270WSM to 25 and go.I think we will be using 100 to 120 grain bullets only any help will be appreciated...Ronnie

Ronnie,

I have done the WSM down to .264" but nothing smaller. I do see Redding list the 25/300 WSM dies as a "standard" Custom die. A two die set for about $110. That isn't bad for custom dies. But the fact that they list it means several have done it before. I had them make the first set of the 338/300, 375/300 the 6.5/300 WSM. They were about $150 plus the $50 set up fee. I think case capacity will put that one right on the heels of the 257 Weatherby.

I'm kind of a 6.5 guy. I think the 270 and 25-06 are a waste of brass but the 6.5-06 is perfect. I have necked everycase ever made to 6.5 either as a joke or made a real rifle for it. I have the everything from the 264/223 to the 264/460 WBY. Several were original and keepers. There was the 264/30 Herrett which evolved into the 6.5 U.S. made with 225 Win brass. The the 6.5/7.62x39 which evolved into the 6.5 PPC. I necked the 444 Marlin, the 307 Win and the 300 Savage to 264 and the 308 and had a match rifle made for it. I've had a 264/376 Steyr, a 6.5/06, 6.5/06 AI, 6.5/WSM and a 6.5/270 Wby. For a 25 caliber guy the WSM would be fine. Start with '06 data and go from there.

The 6.5/06, 6.5/376, and 6.5/WSM were all very good and still with me.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Arrow 25 300 wsm

Thanks Jim he got a 3 die set from redding for 200 bucks so I guess he did ok a 25 cal sure wouldn't have been my choice either but nephews father in law had it built and gave it to him as a present hard to argue with that deal but uncle ronnie gets the reloading chores which don't seem to be too bad looks like the 270 wsm run through the neck sizing die check length and good to go I hope. All new brass to start and I was thinking maybe H 4350 for a powder he likes nosler ballistic tips but I'm leaning towards partitions or accubonds way I see it this thing might be to fast for the ballistic tips to stay together. If you have different thoughts on the matter I would sure like to hear them....Thanks Ronnie

Ronnie, yeah the 3 die set $200, that 's pretty good. I would say on the powder though a little slower is better and would start with the 4831 or RL-22. You won't be able to fill the case with any of them but this will get closer to the top. It will likely respond better for each grain of powder than the 257 WBY. Physically about betweeen the '06 and Wby but it's performance will be a bit better than the half way mark. One good thing about the WSM wildcats. The dies can be used to neck down any case. They are short and fat. So when necking down a 308 or a 404 Jeffery they will work. I've been thinking about getting the 25 caliber WSM dies but rarely go below 264. I have a complete set from 264 to 416 and they come in handy when just messing around with cases. Good luck with this one.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Arrow 25-300 wsm

Thanks Jim I told him to get a pound of 4350 and a pound of 4831 short cut looks like that short cut might go in that hole a little better had to cut down a funnel too for that little fat case. When I stuck one of those cases in my regular powder funnel didn't look right so I went ahead and poured a little powder in to see and sure enough it ran out around the case so I cut the funnel down till it fit seems ok now do they make a special funnel for this little fat case??Anyway thanks a bunch Jim...Ronnie Will let you know how it comes out...

I haven't bothered to compare dimensions with what you are proposing, but there's a bunch of load data at the Hodgdon site for the 25 Winchester Super Short Magnum. If it's shorter than yours, never mind!