View Poll Results: Are kings caught by chance/lining, or do they bite enough to catch them successfully

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kings bite the attractor

18 69.23%
  • Kings are "lined" and end up getting hooked

6 23.08%
  • Don't know enough to judge

2 7.69%

Thread: Kings, do they bite or are they lined?

Default Kings, do they bite or are they lined?

I'm curious as to what others think about the ways kings are caught in rivers. I'm specifically curious about the flipping technique. Do they actually bite, or are they caught in the mouth by chance? It seems that for every one I catch in the mouth, I also end up snagging about 3 fish. Can one catch as many fish by just throwing their "yarn" out and waiting? And is this more ethically acceptable?

Whenever you cast cross current you have the potential to line any fish swimming by. The more you lead your rod tip downriver and toward shore, the more likely you are to line a fish. The rip at the end of each and every cast is nothing more than willful snagging.

If you want to ensure you are not force feeding your kings, fish with a downriver technique ( backbounce, backtroll) or a drag-free free-drifting technique ( bobber/eggs or bobber/jig).

Yes they bite... just not every cast.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default the rip at the end

I was told that the rip at the end of the cast was to pull your rig off the bottom and makes it easier to reel in (which it does) I have however caught into a couple this way but ussually not. The few i have caught like this are generally in the mouth though probably just luck.
    Justin

Where conditions are not conducive to lining/snagging, it may typically take from 6-30 rod hours per strike, depending on the water conditions.... just look at the Kenai for an example.

To think that a king "bites" every cast or every other cast for hours on end in any shore-based fishery is just ridiculous.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    The KeenEye MD

Default Clear water

In clear water I've seen kings come from 10-15' away to hit at a wiggle wart and spinners. Naturally there are going to be some that get "lined" but they are definitely coerced into biting a good majority of the time. Just look at fishing the mouth of the Deshka (slow water). I would imagine "lining" one down there is few and far between.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Question Confused

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician
    Where conditions are not conducive to lining/snagging, it may typically take from 6-30 rod hours per strike, depending on the water conditions.... just look at the Kenai for an example.

To think that a king "bites" every cast or every other cast for hours on end in any shore-based fishery is just ridiculous.
    Did someone say that? I didn't see it in any of these posts.

Thumbs up both ways work

When im fishing in clear water, I prefer the spot and fish technique(flip casting) . And that goes for any salmon thats running at the time. I uasly dont fish the merky or dirty waters unless i am in a boat (backbounce, backtrolling). It seems like more of a challege for me to pick out the ones i want instead of waiting for a fish to bite my lure or bait.

If only there was a way to flip cast for Halibut

Later, AKpredator

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45
    Did someone say that? I didn't see it in any of these posts.
    I was merely referring to the fact that these folks set the hook on every cast with an aggressive, audible, water-spraying.... R-I-P! If you ask somebody why they do that, the typical response is, "I thought I felt a bite."

Yeah, right!

Any legitimate fishing technique would require a hookset only when the angler is actually getting a bite.
    The KeenEye MD

Default Do Kings bite - Yes

Kings go on and off the bite, like someone throwing a switch. Some fisherman
    believe that the flip and rip is the only way to catch fish, and that is the only technique they use. Red's on the Kenai is one thing, but I prefer not to fish next to someone using this technique for Kings and Silvers.

Default Kings Bite

Kings may not be the most aggressive salmon in the waters when it comes to striking but they do bite.

When I am fishing for salmon I will pull my rod up with some force but I will not RIP the line out of the water. I have lost a lot of fish which have striked my fly, lure, or yarn because I didnt feel the hit and pulled the line right out of their mouth. So I give the line a quick upward jerk, this will set the hooks and reduce the chance of loosing the fish. I dont have the intentions of snagging a fish but sometimes it happens with the RIP technique and sometimes it doesnt.

On the water its easy to tell who has is trying to snagg a fish hoping to get lucky with a legal mouth catch and who isnt. I think the 2 lbs banana weights, lack of material on their fly, and the instant sound of their rod cutting the through the air gives it away quite easily.

Thumbs up Poll question

I think there should be one more choice on the poll: "Kings are lined AND they bite". There is no question that both occur, and that some anglers specialize in one technique or the other.

I know some folks who may have never caught a king except by lining them in clear water. Those are exactly the conditions (especially on sunny days) that may put fish off the bite, btw.

On the other hand, there are times when kings will hammer plugs, spoons, spinners, and of course eggs.

Nice idea for a poll!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Strahan,
    I was just thinking that another option should have been put there stating what you said. I think if the stomach is dad-gum hungry, it's going to control the brain and make it try to eat. It's good to see some opinions here, and some experiences.