Thread: Pack weight spreadsheet

Default Pack weight spreadsheet

A few guys have asked for this, so here it is.

To use, just change the item description to fit your needs.

Then enter the pounds and then the ounces of the item on the right. This will convert it automatically into pounds and tenths.

Once you have everything entered, you can see the total at the bottom and also the percentage of the total that each item takes up.

Good Luck,
    Oak
    Last edited by oakman; 03-12-2008 at 14:26.

Default This will be handy

Now I have something to play with before my sheep hunt next year.

VERY nice Oakman. Thanks.

Awesome. Thanks.

Thumbs up Thanks

Oakman! This looks like something you could market. It's great!

kingfisherktn

Thanks for taking the time to put that together. It would be interesting if somebody could keep a "database" of items by manufacturer or models so we could all see what the various weights are. That way if somebody wanted to put the "lightest" possible pack together, they could simply go through the spreadsheets and see what the lightest items are. Also, it would be great to see what items some people carry and what's left behind. Again, thanks for the input. If you wanted a hand with a "database" or more than likely a spreadsheet that has several tabs on it to compare lists, I'd be more than willing to help out.

Default Couldn't open it

Sounds like a good idea. I couldn't open it - had to download some other thing first. Maybe someone can put it into a easier to get format.

Talking You scrapped my secret!

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to put that together. It would be interesting if somebody could keep a "database" of items by manufacturer or models so we could all see what the various weights are. That way if somebody wanted to put the "lightest" possible pack together, they could simply go through the spreadsheets and see what the lightest items are...
    GREAT IDEA!!! I began working on this type of database last fall. Many of the questions I have asked and continue to ask (i.e. synthetic-fill vest under group buy thread in GD forum) on this forum and others are in direct corallation with that project. I had/have no plans to market it when complete, just for personal enjoyment/use and I planned to share with others when complete! It has been more of a project than I thought. I have had to contact company reps for many of the items and then there are so many options/sizes to include. My data is a bit one-sided because it is based on what I think is the best out there, but I have tried to include what I think is most used by others as well. I find it easier to limit the items now that it is a new "gear season" and hope to have a good semi-complete database by spring!

I'd gladly accept any help anyone would like to offer! Specifically in the optics department. So many rifle scopes, spotter, binos and rangefinders out there!

-Buck

Default Thanks for the Great idea!

Thanks for the spreadsheet idea. My buddy and I are leaving Friday for a fly-out caribou trip. I was a little leary on our weight so what I did was weighed each item, entered the weights into a spreadsheet (based from the original one on this post) and then built our bags from that. What I ended up with was the spread sheet I am attaching. We are limited to 100 pounds of gear per person. This made it real easy to figure out what needed to go into each bag and should eliminate the headache at the check-in counter Friday morning. I've tried in the past to use the good ole bathroom scale but it just was not very accurate. Also if you see anything that I am forgetting please let me know! :-)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default not sure if we are getting it all

Quote Originally Posted by francko View Post
    Thanks for the spreadsheet idea. My buddy and I are leaving Friday for a fly-out caribou trip. I was a little leary on our weight so what I did was weighed each item, entered the weights into a spreadsheet (based from the original one on this post) and then built our bags from that. What I ended up with was the spread sheet I am attaching. We are limited to 100 pounds of gear per person. This made it real easy to figure out what needed to go into each bag and should eliminate the headache at the check-in counter Friday morning. I've tried in the past to use the good ole bathroom scale but it just was not very accurate. Also if you see anything that I am forgetting please let me know! :-)
    I only see 33.6 # total on this one...am I not getting ht complete download or are you planning on going in light and coming out HEAVY?

Thumbs up

Thanks Oakman, that should come in pretty handy.

Default Extremely Helpful!

Thanks Oakman! Definitely something that I can use when I get home!

Default Can't see it.

Can someone change this spreadsheet into another format? My computer says I have to download some other program to view it I think it was Micro.... Excel.

The one I posted has tabs at the bottom for each bag and then a tab for the master list.

Default Very Useful

Great spreadsheet, I'm going to put it to good use this weekend.
    Thanks