Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of Spider?

Default What kind of Spider?

Can anyone tell me what kind of spider this may be?
    Earlier this summer, I got bit up and down my back by a spider and I am trying to figure out what kinds we have in our area.
    My friend and I came across this one on our property and it kind of got me freaked out...
    ...so I'd like some opinions on this.
    What kind of spider is this anyway?

and another...
    Lurker.

Orb Weaver, and a good one to have around if ya want to keep the skeeters down.

http://www.turtlepuddle.org/alaskan/spiders.html

Default Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Thank you!!! My friend that was with me said that she has never seen one in this area and she's lived here her whole life.

Fortunate for me, I know what the spider is now...
    ...but the downside is that it doesn't help me in what kind of spider bit me because this particular one doesn't seem as if it would be a biting kind of spider.

Honestly, this spider really scared me. I am already spooked with different kinds of bugs... but this one... was absolutely discusting to me.
    Lurker.

She might look a lil' rough, but she is actually harmless. (Yes, its a she)

They actually come out more after a good rainy period, and this is to throw out webs for the catch, so to speak.

If it was a spider that bit ya chances are it was a hobo spider. The things are freaking every where these days and I get bit at least once ayear in bed, and kill maybe 30 others.

I think that you are right. I googled the hobo spider and I have seen tons of them around our property... in our shop and even in our tent.
    I just think that it's strange that this particular spider bit me numerous times and it was dedicated to just one specific area. I thought that they originally were mosquito bites... but after a few days of what I had, it was far from those kinds of bites.
    I am still a little freaked out about all of those... but thankfully winter is getting ready to set in and they will all be frozen in no time. :)
    Lurker.

Just like a hobo - taking a free ride and getting a bite to eat all on the back of decent folk.

There are other types of spiders in Alaska that bite. Two years ago while sheep hunting my wife got absolutely covered in spider bites. We didn't know what they were until we pulled up our sleeping pads to leave. There were lots of litttle tiny spiders on the floor of our tent. I can't recall exactly what they look like, but I was amazed that such a little spider could inflict such damage. I recall you saying that you were staying in a tent this summer, so perhaps you dealt with the same thing.

Default Still in the tent...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    There are other types of spiders in Alaska that bite. Two years ago while sheep hunting my wife got absolutely covered in spider bites. We didn't know what they were until we pulled up our sleeping pads to leave. There were lots of litttle tiny spiders on the floor of our tent. I can't recall exactly what they look like, but I was amazed that such a little spider could inflict such damage. I recall you saying that you were staying in a tent this summer, so perhaps you dealt with the same thing.
    Actually, still in the tent, but since the husband has been out guiding for moose and will be for a while longer, I have quietly made my way back into our construction project to sleep because the heated slab is much warmer than some of the 30 degree nights we have had.

You know, I am pretty sure that it might not have been those tiny spiders. Every night before we go to sleep, my husband has to brush out all the sand that I get in there from my feet (my fault for walking barefoot all the time or from my jeans when they drag since I am so short). That means he would have brushed out any spiders, too. I don't quite understand why it would have been me getting all the bites instead of him and it was really just directly on the lower area of my back. I was wearing full clothes when this happened. They started out like mosquito bites and soon turned into huge gashes of red (because of the scratching) with rings around them. Who knows. I might have been allergic with no illness symptoms issue, though.

Fact of the matter, there are just simply some things about Alaska I am completely uneducated about and I just have to understand that knowledge comes with time... and understanding the environment that I live in will obviously include spiders (and bites...and possibly spider bite allergies).
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    Just like a hobo - taking a free ride and getting a bite to eat all on the back of decent folk.
    You crack me up, Soggy. Well, hobo spider or not, this spider got the best of me and my back. It's forever mentally tormented by this experience. :) Decent Folk? But you didn't even mention me in your acknowledgements on 'Could We Disagree'... (chuckles) I am SOOOO hurt (sarcasm).
    Lurker.

If you ever find one you are interested in getting more info on, you can send the spider to one of the scientists at UAF. I've actually done this out of curiosity and they were very helpful. FYI if anyone cares.

Excellent.. thanks for letting me know.
    Is there a specific group or an area to put it attention to?
    Lurker.

Question

Not to change the subject, but are there brown recluse spiders up here? Kids in my Alaska Studies class insist they have seen them and one girl said her mother was bit by one. I hate the **** things but was just curious. A guy from Fairbanks that I bullshat with on the Kenai insists that there are brown recluse here too.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Not to change the subject, but are there brown recluse spiders up here? Kids in my Alaska Studies class insist they have seen them and one girl said her mother was bit by one. I hate the **** things but was just curious. A guy from Fairbanks that I bullshat with on the Kenai insists that there are brown recluse here too.

Tim
    My old co-worker is an Alaskan born and raised and she forewarned me about the brown recluse... so yes... they are up here, but I have never seen one personally.
    Lurker.

A friend of mine was bitten by a spider at Ptarmigan Creek that made his hand swell badly.

The bite was between his thumb and pointer finger and, after a month of antibiotics, he was still looking at a possible amputation.

His doctor told him that he had been bitten by a recluse or fiddle back.

The year was probably 1990 or 91.

It was not the right environment for this type of spider, but the doctor was very certain.

My friend did not lose an appendage, but, he suffered for quite some time with a swollen and infected hand.

Default we have them and they hurt

i got bit on the shin by whne when i was about 14. swelled up nasty then whent away but left a open sore. dam thing to all sumer to heal. when it finally did i had a crater about a 1/4" in diamater on leg were the surrounding tissue just died from the venom. was luckier then most but yes they are out there. not to worry though compared to most outher states our creepy crawlies are the least of my worries. little more worried about old man grizz lol

Discusting.That's why I am no longer in the tent. Besides... spiders are dying quickly now. They have all headed indoors and so have I.
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Discusting.That's why I am no longer in the tent. Besides... spiders are dying quickly now. They have all headed indoors and so have I.
    Perhaps by following them around you are pressuring them into charging!
    Last edited by SoggyMountain; 09-14-2007 at 12:16. Reason: spell check - I'm liking the edit key!

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    Perhaps by following them around you are pressuring them into charging!
    ARg... I can't win with you!!!!
    Maybe THEY are pressuring ME into charging.
    Grrrr...
    ;)
    Lurker.

If it was a hobo spider bite, you definately would know it. The hobo's I have heard about have a venom that is so toxic it eats away at your flesh, and can do some very serious damage, unlike say a black widow, whose venom attacks your nervous system
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Quote Originally Posted by SoldotnaDave View Post
    If it was a hobo spider bite, you definately would know it. The hobo's I have heard about have a venom that is so toxic it eats away at your flesh, and can do some very serious damage, unlike say a black widow, whose venom attacks your nervous system
    There was a write up in the local paper when I was in college down in MT that had a write up on the hobo spider. It showed a young gal that had been bit on the cheek and the flesh had deteriorated clear through. It covered an area the size of a quarter. Bad deal. I would asssume that she had to receive multiple skin grafts to fix it. I absolutely refused to live in a basement apartment there. Once fall would hit, the hobos would start to move in. Turn on the light in a dark room and several would skitter across the floor for cover. I have squashed a couple here in Los Anchorage that sure looked like hobos.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast