Thread: Bleeding boat trailer breaks

Question Bleeding boat trailer breaks

I want to replace the break fluid on my EZ Load trailer. It has hydraulic breaks that are activated when the breaks are stepped on and the trailer moves on the trailer tounge. Is there a trick to doing this? It is new to me.

The easist way is with a vacum bleeder. The next would be disassembly of the unit to move the master cylinder piston only.The last being strong arm and having someone pump the tongue.

Any way you choose try to remove as much of the fluid as possible from the master cylinder without letting air into the system. Refill and start pulling it thru the system.

How big a boat? Are you having problems with the braking system?

Consider the electric over hydralic setup and get rid of those surge brakes, especially for you are pulling over 5000 pounds.

Default Bleeding brakes

I put a new brake cylinder on my trailer this spring. To pump most of the fluid into the lines, I manually worked the lever that the safety cable is attached to, this will move the cylinder just as it would when you stop. You can move it back and forth, being careful not to go too far or the safety latch will catch. (I used a bar that slid over the lever.) With the help of another person, I bled the lines until I thought most of the air was out. I then drove the boat around the neighborhood, stopping often, trying to force all of the air back to the wheel cylinders, and repeated the process. Hope this helps and good luck.

Default 2" ratchet strap

I use a ratchet strap running from the ball mount area back to the base of the winch tree at the bow of the boat. You can pressure up the system easily and hold that to go back and bleed at the wheel. I use this method for upkeep during the season as my surge system moves only a small amount of fluid. For the end of season flush, I use an air driven power bleeder.

Default It is done

Thanks guys. Breaks are done.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Thanks guys. Breaks are done.

So what method?????

Default Cheap way

I drilled a hole and mounted a steel tire valve on the cap of my trailer break cylinder. Used a bike pump to pressure it up a little and bleed them as mornal car breaks.
    Cost $ 7.50
    Time priceless

Default How?

I hooked onto the trailer with the truck. My son-in-law bleed the breaks as I sat in the truck and went forward and backward about a few inches. My daughter told me when to move so I did not run her husband over.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I hooked onto the trailer with the truck. My son-in-law bleed the breaks as I sat in the truck and went forward and backward about a few inches. My daughter told me when to move so I did not run her husband over.

U must like him>>>>>>