Thread: .375 on the '06 case.

Default .375 on the '06 case.

I have a huge amount of .375 bullets and have always been fasinated by the caliber. I been thinking of building a new rifle with a .375 bore and using the 35 Whelan case to neck up. I know about the .375 Whelan and the .375 Hawk. I was wondering what some of you who know more than I do suggest and why do you suggest it? More than likely I would procure either a LH Ruger or Win 70 for the project and go from there with a Lilja or other custom barrel and a McMillan stock.
    Tennessee

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Default 375 Whelan

I built a 375 Whelan on a Win Mod 70 a few years back. I really enjoyed it. It was big enough to handle anything that you want to with it. Recoil is not bad and it is a good 300 yard shooter. I wish I still had it, but I traded it to a buddy of mine and gave him my dies along with the rifle. I am going to build a 400 Whelan in the near future on a Win Mod 70 with a heart barrel and a laminate stock. I have always been a big fan of the Whelan line. I do not know too much about the Hawk line, but what I have read it is a good way to go as well. Good luck with it.

Whit

A really fine wildcat is the .375 Howell, much like the WHELEN.

necking up the 9.3x62 would be fairly easy and give you just a little more case capacity than the whelen case.

Default 375 H&H alternate

might want to look at American Hunting Rifles re: their 380 Howell (e.g. 375 Howell but with shoulder moved forward) : http://www.hunting-rifles.com/ballistics.html

The 375-06 improved has been in my use for a couple of decades. This is not the Ackley improved version, it is the 30-06 case with some of the taper removed (fireformed) and a new shoulder angle and the neck moved forward to leave a neck of .375". There are many versions but this one is made from the RCBS version of the 30-06 improved. It was also necked to .338" and .358". It is best fed with the Howell headstamped cylindrical 30-06 brass, still availbale from HDS.

There is a 375 Whelen Improved but there realy never was a 375 Whelen. The shoulder diameter is not sufficient to headspace the round with the 17.5 degree shoulder angle. It needs to be expanded a bit to about .454" then needs a 25-30 degree shoulder angle. There is a 375-06 with the .441" shoulder and the original 17.5 degree angle but it doesn't headspace very solidly until fired.

Probably the best today, not because of any ballistic advantage but availability, would be the 375 Hawk that Fred Zeglin makes. It's shoulder is moved forward and is expanded. He has headstamped brass and loading data so it is a tamed down wildcat.

I think Ken Howells 375 Howell is based on the 404 Jeffery case cut ot 2.5" long, very similar to the 375 Dakota, not the '06 case and his 375 Howell No.2 is based on the 2.5" 8x68 case. Very similar to the 375 Ruger. I don't know about the 380 Howell but it's ballistics make me think it is not the 30-06 case.

The 376 Steyr is really not a bad design. It can be loaded down with lighter bullets or up to 300 at 2450, more than any 30-06 case wildcat can produce. Of course it is quite tame if you're looking for a wild one.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks,
    At this point I am leaning towards the 375 Hawk as I like the idea brass can be bought for it properly headstamped. Not looking for the absolute in velocity as I can always take my 375 H&H if power is what I am seeking. I fired off an email to MRC to see if they can chamber one for me on there actions since they do not list it on there web page. If not maybe just a .375 barrel blank and I can go from there.
    Tennessee