Thread: Fletching

Default Fletching

Does having your fletching spiral around the arrow, rather than your typical fletching that just goes strait down the arrow, actually effect the accuracey? And also, what do you all prefer?.....long or short fletchings?

I use to fletch right helical, lost the clamp, now I only fletch with a little offset. As for the length of the fletchs I use blazer 3" and they perform awesome, so there is no need for long fletch , you know is a weight thing. I hope this help.

there's a reason almost all weapons minus shotguns are rifled. The idea in an arrow with offset or helical is to keep the broadhead from becoming 'wings' and steering itself.

Offset or helical is a good thing. how much is up to you, your setup, and a modest bit of testing. The bigger the head, the bigger the fletchings is my theory. I am however shooting woodn arrows out of a woodn longbow that is not center shot to begin with. That said there is no difference with wheels or recurves. Shoot a small head, you can easily get away with smaller fletchings. More helical is going to equate to more drop at distance imho and a tad slower arrow in the air, however it CAN help when we as shooters make mistakes and when it's raining. I still shoot feathers and will never change to plastics.

just my 02c

Like Tradbow, I shoot a longbow, use feathers, & I prefer a fairly radical helical (spiral wrap as you called it).
    I like the radical helical for a couple of reasons.
    It does help the arrow to overcome the archers paradox (wiggling) when it leaves my non-centershot bow quicker, especially if I have a bad release, doeswork better when wet, & in my opinion doesn't make any practical difference in speed or trajectory at my hunting distances (30-35 yds max when I've really been putting in time. Usually 30 yds). But the other advantage that nobody has mentioned is that it makes the arrow more visible in flight from behind. When fletching is straight the shooter can't see the fletching in flight, only the nock. When you have helical fletching & use a feather color you can see well in a hunting enviroment, you can see the arrow right to the critter & at impact which I feel is very important (& cool).
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by AK Diamond View Post
    Does having your fletching spiral around the arrow, rather than your typical fletching that just goes strait down the arrow, actually effect the accuracey? And also, what do you all prefer?.....long or short fletchings?
    I"m hunting with bows for a long time. I shoot, 5 inch left wrap feathers. As it has already been said, they stablize the broadhead much better. Left or right helical, it does not matter. There is a reason that a football is thrown so that it ( spins). Shooting arrows into the wind ect. take all the help you can get! It"s just one more advantage for the hunting archer.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Not knowing your particular set up it is hard to say whether you need to use a radical helical vane or feather for your rrow. If you are shooting a long bow or recurve off the shelf I would recommend that you use feathers and the size of your broadhead will drive the size and degree of helical/offset for your fletching. If you are shooting a compound or recurve with a rest you may not need to use as much or in the case of some of the new fletchings available as in the Blazer or the Quickspin you won't need as much or any helical/offset. The Blazer vanes are designed to drive broadheads well at distance and don't need any helical at all due to the way they are built. Anyway check with an archery shop and let the pro show you what you need.

Default Thanks

I want to thank everyone for their input. I'm not hunting the my bow right now because, honestly, I haven't had enough time to practice with it to be sure that I will get a clean shot off. I'm extremely acurate with field tips on the block and 3-D targets, but when I put on a broadhead i loose a little bit in my grouping. So that is why I asked about fletchings. I want to be as accurate as I can get before I finally decide to take the bow out to the brush. Anyway, thanks again for all the responses.