Thread: what stove fuel do forest service cabins use?

Default what stove fuel do forest service cabins use?

Im staying in a forest service cabin on montague (san juan bay). The forest service description of the fuel was #2 stove oil if I remember corectly. I cant see it on the website anymore. I was told this was also kerosene.

How much should I bring for 10 days? And what is it?

Matt,
    You don't want to be using kerosene in that stove. Kerosene is more refined than number one (#1) and number one is far more refined than is number two (#2). Number two is cheap, and it burns real dirty. Be prepared to clean the flue and chiminey before using the stove. A fire there can really ruin your day/night.
    Dan

#1 is stove oil, #2 is diesel.

Default #1 stove oil

Most of the cabins I have used in the past have used #1 stove oil. For a 10 day trip you may want to pack in 15 gallons of fuel depending on how cold it is and how warm you like to be.

Ltlbucks

#2 fuel is diesel.

I'm no blending expert, but I can assure you #1 is winter diesel with a lower pour point for colder temperatures and a slightly lower btu than #2.

#2 is summer diesel.

Here is a good link http://science.howstuffworks.com/oil-refining2.htm

Sorry for the hijack.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

#1 was winter grade diesel in Alaska and no different than the #1 heating fuel they delivered to your house.

#2 was summer grade diesel..and the same as #2 heating fuel.

Now, with the new diesel going to Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel by Federal mandate. We are seeing some definate differences. I personally have burned summer ULSD diesel right out of the pump in kerosene fired space heaters with no ill effects to the heaters themselves. It does smell a little more, but not like the old #2 diesel.

The stove's in the Forest Service cabins are essentially sealed units with stove pipes. The extra smell of summer diesel really doesn't get into the cabin...it'd better not or you have an exhaust problem.

You will be fine burning diesel right from the pump...and that's what I will be doing in November. Check and see if your cabin has wood heat. The one I stay in does and I heat the cabin this way 90% of the time. I was able to burn less than a 1/2 gallon a day in the oil stove when I used wood for most of the night.

Where do I get heating oil from?

Default #1 Stove oil

I buy mine from our local fuel distributor.

Most towns in Alaska have a Delta Western fuel outlet in the phone book. They'll hook you up. (I have no connection with the company, and I'm sure their competitors would do fine, too. They're just sort of ubiquitous.)

Or, call the local Forest Service office and ask them who sells the fuel you need. The cabin maintenance crew will know.

I just got back from using a forest service cabin for 8 days. We used 10 gallons of fuel and ran out the morning we were supposed to be picked up. This was using the stove for 3 or 4 hours over lunch and 8 to 10 hours at night. 15 gallons is probably a good recommendation. The stove burned #1 oil. Our fly out service had the fuel available in 5 gallon containers and sold us the oil along with white gas for our stove and lantern.

Default Kerosine

When I worked Cabins for the Forest Service we put Kerosine in the stoves. Or #1 stove fuel.