Thread: Tenderizing Moose Meat

Default Tenderizing Moose Meat

What's the best method
    I try to hang the quarters for 10 days if the weather allows. I'm told this helps.
    I've used the meat hammer making what my wife calls "pound to death steak", where you pound one side of a steak until you can see through it, then turn it over and do the dame to the other side. Then cook as chicken fried steak.
    Not bad, but a tender roast would sure be good once in a while if I could tenderize it.

Default slow cooker

Try slow cooking a roast in a crock pot at 300 degrees for 5 or 6 hours with a can of mushroom soup. It will come apart easily with a fork.

Cook a small moose roast with a small pork roast. Works pretty good and won't dry out.

Default meat tenderizer

If you can afford a commercial meat tenderizer,they are the real deal. Makes a HUGE difference to me. The meat "soaks" up marinade.

Default If you know how to butcher

or even just break all the muscle groups apart and cut against the grain. There is no need for a tenderizer. Unless using it on the hock muscles or so. But that just goes for burger or hot dogs and such. I have not had a tough moose steak yet. I even cut what would be roast meat into steaks. Has worked on three moose so far and 4 caribou. Going to butcher a moose quarter today. Ummm I can taste it already.

Buy that marinade called "GAME TAME" let it soak 24 hrs and you can cut it with a spoon.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Hanging game

Hanging game meat is really unnecessary. It is not like beef, which is heavy in fat. Game meat is extremely lean, and hanging only makes a hard crust on it.

I have hung one quarter and not hung the rest of a moose. After a week in a cool shed, I could not tell much difference in the taste or quality of the meat. I did lose a bit because of the crust, tho......
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Arkstabout,
    Iíve only had one moose like the one's you describe, and that was a cow during the only cow season ever allowed in my area. The bulls have all been pretty tough. I always cut across the grain, etc., but maybe I'm cooking them wrong. The last few moose have gone mostly to burger and sausage from Alaska Sausage. That's been good, but I really would like to have a few good steaks and roasts. The back strap and hump have always been somewhat tender but the rest ...? I know someone out there has the key to the tenderizing question. I really can't afford the commercial tenderizer. Maybe one of the plastic ones. Just means allot of hand work?

Default See we have only killed cows.

Just butchered one today a buddy shot yesterday. I know most people try and hang it, we don't. Always butcher the next day. Plus when cooking, I like it rare to medium rare. Game tastes so much better. Plus a lot more tender. Never had bull to my knowledge. Maybe once but it was burger. Plus all the moose we have killed inlcuding the one I helped butcher today were all killed with bows. I have always been told that animals don't feel it, compared to a rifle. Muscles don't tense up and trap all the adrenaline or testosterone. If we see a bull, especially this year without a cow tag I would drop him. The moose today was a monster of a cow. You otta seen the tenderloin, larger than most beef I have seen. But the whole moose seemed pretty tender for the most part. Again though it was a bow kill on Fort Rich.

I have not used the plastic hand crank tenderizer before. Only commercial grade. Check with butcher supply shops, they sell them at reduced prices when the contracts are up or new equipment is exchanged. Still pricey but cheaper than new. I think cabelas has them for a couple hundred bucks. Commercial grade will still $1200 well used I think. But major thing is cooking it just right. Hope some of this helps.

That's the problem with wanting to shoot a trophy bull every season, tough meat! I have shot everything from spike/fork to 47.5" in my area and they've all been very tender. It is just how you choose to shoot the moose also, shot placement is key IMHO. You can eat my moose with a fork! 10 days is way too long, lol, 3 days max is what I've done.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Meat tenderizer

Try "Adolf's Meat Tenderizer", you can get it at most grocery stores, just sprinkle it on, stab the steak all over with a fork, wait about 10 minutes and put it on the grill. Or try the following method.
    One of the main reasons venison is tough is that most people overcook it. For example, if a person likes their beef steak medium rare, they will then cook their venison medium. I've found the best way to cook it is to get your grill as hot as possible with the cover on, coat the steak with olive oil, put it on the grill, shut the cover, and flip the steak after 1 minute 20 seconds, cook another minute and 20 seconds (this is for steaks about 3/4" - 1" thick and the time may vary a bit depending on your grill temp.). The steak will look cooked on the outside but will be either red or purple all the way through. If you feel uneasy about eating such a rare steak just don't look at it. This also works great for venison that is gamey, the more you cook gamey venison the stronger it will taste. I've had to twist peoples arms to get them to try venison steaks cooked this way, but I can honestly say the everyone that's tried it loves it. This method works great for any non-marbled red meat.
    Mark

Default Thanks Guys,

I just want to thank the fine members of this forum for all the info on tenderizing moose. The general consensus is that you don't have to hang it, so at this point I'm going to pull the quarters out of the shed and start butchering. They've been there since late thursday morning, so it will have been 4 days, probably five by the time I finish. The meat looks and smells good with some "crust" on it. I'll get some commercial meat tenderizer chemicals if possible, but if not it'll be the store bought kind. I can't afford the commercial mechanical tenderizer, so it'll probably have to be the fork stab and hammer routine. No matter, I know it will be delicioius!
    Thanks

My grandpa has told me that hanging for long periods of time can save your meat if you happen to get a stinky rutting moose. He shot one late in the season years ago that stunk so bad he thought he wouldn't be able to salvage any of the meat, but after a month of hanging in his shed it was one of the best moose he ever tasted.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    That's the problem with wanting to shoot a trophy bull every season, tough meat! I have shot everything from spike/fork to 47.5" in my area and they've all been very tender.
    I've eaten a large variety of moose, and the only meat that was obviously better than the rest came from a 1/2 year old calf. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between a 64" bull, and a cow (both of which I shot). I think much of the hype about tough/tender meat is just that. A lot of hype.

This months "Bowhunting World" mag has a tasty looking recipie for corned venisen, I'd bet it'd be AWESOME for moose...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default The best way to tenderize moose meat

is to chew it very thoroughly just before swallowing.

Thumbs up Tender and juicy

Most chemical meat tenderizers do not penetrate very deeply. Just over 1/4 inch is the norm. Treat both sides and you have 1/2 inch of tenderized meat, but that's a fairly thin steak. One good exception is salt. Salt will penetrate the meat fairly deeply, and provides moisture retention and flavor enhancement functions to go along with tenderizing. Just mind your blood pressure.

Hanging meat does allow naturally occurring enzymes to break down some of the muscle fibers (actually the sheaths over those fibers), tenderizing it somewhat. Hang time depends on temperature and cleanliness, but I recommend it. Cooperative extension services often have brochures on this, and a quick web search can turn up some good science.

How you cook it really matters. With red meat - especially tougher muscle fibers that do more work - the longer it spends at high temperatures, the more 'livery' the meat tastes. It can also get tougher.

So, for steaks, sear quick and hot, and eat rare or even 'bleu'. If you shot, cleaned, hung, and butchered the meat yourself, you know whether it's clean enough to do so. It ought to be.

I once tried a recipe for very thick steaks (just under 2") that called for putting them in a 275 degree oven with a meat thermometer in the middle of one. When they reached 95 degrees inside, the recipe said to pull them out, sear both sides in the hot skillet, and serve. I tried it once, and the insides were just pink, the edges perfect. I still prefer to cut them a touch thinner (1.25") and serve mostly red on the inside.