Thread: Alaska Fishing Adventure 9 Days in the Great Land

Default Alaska Fishing Adventure 9 Days in the Great Land

After over four months of planning we left Houston on August 24th for Anchorage. First stop was Seward on the Kenai Peninsula about 140 miles South of Anchorage. What a spectacular drive down the Seward Highway -Snow capped Mountains, glaciers, rivers, marshes loaded with ducks backset with mountains.... No surprise it's listed as a Top 10 Scenic drive by the Travel Channel.

We arose early to calm winds and full sun. Our trip was with Capt. Nik and his capable deckhand Mel from Crackerjack charters. Target was Halibut. We were told the bite on 20-40 lb "Chickens" was great, but not to expect much in the way of big fish. We told them we wanted big, even if it was slow. Our run from the Seward Harbor was an easy two hours to an area near Montague Island. Spent the trip out checking out the Mountain Goats in the cliffs above and the Puffins and Seals as we ran out Resurrection Bay.

Tackle was 4/0 sized Avets with 80 lb Spectra and two pounds of lead. Baits were a herring (like a Spanish Sardine) tipped with a carcass from a filleted 8-10 lb silver salmon. The baits were 24-30" long and weighed several pounds. We anchored in 120' of water and set four lines. It was about 5 minutes before we got lit up. It "chewed" for a minute or two, then when they pulled drag, you start cranking. Fish on! 15 minutes later, the first "shooter" Halibut comes to the boat. BOOM - Snake charmer .410, then two gaffs and we've got a 156 lb fish in the boat! Good start! Over the next several hours we caught several more on the big baits as well as several jigging 16-24 oz jigs on Avet's that were about the size of a 400 calcutta. Those were some great fights! We boxed 7 Halibut and a couple of Ling Cod. At the dock, our total weight was 770lbs for the Halibut! Small fish was 50, with all others over 100. There was a crowd of 100 plus people watching and taking pictures at the dock as we took the pictures. Pretty cool...

The next day we had another charter scheduled and decided to do some catch and release (we were informed we had 440 lbs of vacuum packed fillets to take home...), then we'd chase salmon along the shores for half a day. Funny, the entire Seward charter fleet was fishing in the area we had fished the day before. It was just as good. We caught six up to 150 and a few in the 60-80 class in 3 hours of fishing. Ling Cod, Chinese Rockfish and a 20 lb Yelloweye rockfish were also caught. We got off the ball and ran in to some areas where they had been catching some Silver Salmon. Fishing was not bad with 7 Silvers and 3 small Kings caught. Scenery was spectacular. Thanks to Capt Ben at Pro-Fish-N-Sea Charters for outfishing the fleet on his last day as a captain.

By the way - Both charters came from research I did on this site. I couldn't be more thankful!

With two days of better than our wildest dreams fishing in the books, we began our travels back to Anchorage with 8 boxes of fish on peoples laps and on the roof rack of the Tahoe, we UPS'd that home to the wives and hopped a flight to King Salmon, AK on the SW Peninsula in Bristol Bay. We stayed in a 1950's era motel for $300 a night and shopped the most expensive grocery store in the world. $33 for a 12 pk beer...

The next day we took a small cargo plane to the native village of Port Heiden. They dropped us at an abandoned military airstrip from WW2 in the middle of the Tundra. We were relieved when our guide flew in... He took us one by one in his little Piper to his families place called Scotty's Island. 4 flights from Houston and we finally made it.

Scotty's Island is located in the middle of the Meshik river about 450 miles SW of Anchorage and about 125 miles N of Dutch Harbor, in the valley of the Aniakchak Volcano Crater. It's surrounded by the crater of what was a 12,000 foot mountain to the North and 4-5000 foot mountains to the East and South. The river was super clear as the source is snowmelt. It flowed to the ocean about 6 miles to our East. The island is basically a little strip of volcanic gravel and pumice in the middle of the river. Surprisingly lush considering the soil. It was coverd with scrub alders, ferns, and berry bushes.

We were unpacked and fishing by 2:00 or so on the first afternoon. Our first session was a little on the slow side with just a couple of fish caught. We caught 4-5 in half an hour. All fish were an absolute handful at 10-15 lbs in fast moving water! I wasn't complaining, but they suggested we make a move.

After a hike to the other side of the Island we figured out why they thought we should move. It was ON! Nearly every cast with a Flash Glo Spinner resulted in a slob Silver. I was fly-fishing and probably caught one every 2-3 minutes of casting. Alaska Popsicle streamer with a lead wire wrap was the fly of choice. My previous best fly-catch was an 8 inch bass. Each was awesome fight on the fly tackle and more than respectable on heavy casting gear. The picture of the fish on the stringer is about 20 fish caught the first afternoon. Steak and King Crab for dinner, bed by 10:00.

The next three days we developed a nice routine. Up about nine to a gourmet breakfast, fishing until 1:00 or so. Big lunch. 2 hour nap. Fishing from 4-8. Big dinner with cocktails, then 10 hours of sleep. Low's in the 40's and highs in the 60's each day. It was sunny at least parts of each day and it never rained in 8 days in Alaska which is very unusual.

We never caught a Salmon under 10 lbs and had several in the 20 lb class. I got taken to the spool twice on my 8-weight fly rod and finally broke it after what had to be 200 fish. Just a wide open bite, all the time! It was the full blown Alaska experience with Brown Bear sightings every day, twice we had to fire shots in the air as a particular 9' boar was getting a bit too close. We had Seals swimming among us chasing the schools of salmon right between your legs. Just 2Cool!

It was an absolutely incredible vacation......Already working on the next one...maybe bringing the shotgun to do a cast and blast. Ducks were everywhere!
    Patrick
    Attached Images Attached Images

more pics.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Cool trip....

Congrats on what appeared to be one heckuva trip. Nice fish-ies! Oh, and if you look, there's room for one more silver on that stringer. Ha. Enjoy the eats and the memories... Ya done good...

Patrick, Great story and great trip for your team!! Post up some pore pic's if you don't mind I'm sure you got some good ones!! HH

Default Great write up!

That was a pleasure to read. Thank you for the great information.

Thanks for sharing your great fishing trip with the rest of us. Loved the pics.

Patrick,

Glad to hear the rest of your trip was just as good as the Butt fishing.
    Thanks for making my last day an enjoyable one.

-Ben

Hope school is going well. Buddy has a special hello for you next time... Nice video of him coming out of the head.

Patrick

congrats, sounds like you guys did really well.. i just got back from AK, unreal time. sent home 60 lbs of meat, and released all other fish during my time there.. sending home 500 lbs must have cost a pretty penny... thats alot of meat... it amazes me how the halibut and salmon are so sustainable, all i saw were boatloads of fish being taken every day..