View Poll Results: When do you wear a helmet?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Every time I ride

29 34.12%
  • Sometimes--Depends on the ride

43 50.59%
  • Never--don't even own one

11 12.94%
  • A helmet? My head is hard enough.

2 2.35%

Thread: Helmet Use--Yes or No?

Default Helmet Use--Yes or No?

After being out at Jim Creek the other day I was curious who wears a helmet and who doesn't. Some people wear them trail riding and not while hunting. So what's your take on it?

I don't wear them hunting or around the house etc. although we have started wearing them while out for a joy ride such as Jim Creek.

Those that I have known that got hurt were treating broken ribs, backs and limbs caused by a rollover usually. And typically it was due to inexperience in rough terrain.

The first time I went out with my old hunting partner he rolled his twice in 15 minutes and was lucky all he got was a couple of busted ribs that seemed to take forever to heal. So I guess my logic for not wearing them while hunting may not make sense but I don't want a helmet on when I'm putting around taking in the scenery. No that doesn't mean I don't ever get off it and hike either.

On ATVs...only in the winter, occasionally on a summer joy ride (I know I should all the time...). Kids wear them summer and winter. Right now I only have MX style helmets with chin guards. I am thinking about getting some inexpensive open face jobbers for summer use, they might be a bit cooler.

Also, when hunting, it is hard to shoulder a rifle quickly with a helmet on.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

If you see me on the trail chances are I will be wearing a helmet. I'd say 98 out of 100 times that brain bucket will be strapped to my noggin. It's my choice to wear or not to wear and I like it that way. I hate it when someone jumps on the soap box and condemns riders who choose not to wear a helmet, even riding around in their yard. That really strikes a nerve with me. I'm not pointing fingers on this forum but I have seen it happen on others. To me it's the riders choice and I won't tell anyone they have to wear a helmet, except my family, because I am responsible for them. One of my best riding buddies doesn't wear a helmet and that is completely fine with me.

Default only on snowmachine

On my snow machinge wear one all the time
    for warmth and it tends to be differant riding for me
    fast and going somewhere now
    versus nice and slow on my 4 wheeler looking around and dont care if i get there or not before i turn around

Wink

I only use my atv for things around the house and hunting. I don't hardly ever trailride or go fast. When and if I wear my helmet, I usually wear the one that I use while mtn. biking. I'm usually going faster on my mtn. bike then on my quad. I RARELY go over 20mph on my atv anyways. That helmet is superlight, easy to get off/on, and can take some abuse. Because of the way its designed, shouldering a rifle isn't much of an issue when compared to DOT motorcycle style helmets. It's not rated for use with motorcycles being used on highways, but like i said, I'm not on any highways. It's adjustable for wearing a stocking cap under it too... It's better then nothing.... My .02....

Default hemets

I believe that itís your life and body and that it is up to you to protect your self. Be responsible for ones own actions and make your own decision in life. There are times and places for helmets and make that decision on a case by case bases.

I chose to wear a helmet at all times for two reasons: I have ridden street bikes for many years, and wearing proper protection has become a habit when riding motorcycles which I've carried naturally over to my ATV's. The second reason is that I am teaching my son to ride. I insist for obvious reasons that he wear all of his protective gear every time he rides. I would be a hypocrite if I made him wear it and refused to do the same myself.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default helmet...

The kid must always wear one to ride around here.

I'll sometimes grab a bike helmet for the atv if I'm riding in rough terrain where a rollover could happen.

How about out at Eklutna Lake? Are the rangers gonna prevent me from riding out there without one?

Default Eklutna

There is no State regulation requiring a helmet. I am not aware of a State park requirement for a helmet. A few years ago I was helping with some trail work on Powerline Pass trail (on my wheeler! to cool!) and the Parks folks there weren't wearing helmets either. Since I haven't read the "Info Booth" at Eklutna in years it may have changed, if anyone goes out there let us know!
    Personally I now wear a helmet all the time. I didn't used to, started wearing one in winter for warmth, then other folks with the ATV Club gave me such a hard time I started using it all the time. And now my grandson is starting to ride and the little fart WILL call me on hypocricy if he is and I am not :-)
    I have seen a few accidents with and without helmets, that helped spur my use. Granted they are hot in the summer but I'll keep it on anyway thanks!
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Echo; 09-09-2007 at 12:22. Reason: Adding thoughts - Though rare, sometimes I have one
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

I will wear one when out riding with the boy's but not when hunting.

Default It doesn't hurt...

It doesn't hurt wearing a helmet. I am surprised at how many people seem to hate wearing helmets. I would never force anyone to wear a helmet but seriously, the bad things that could happen not wearing one outweigh the comfort issues with wearing one. I have had friends saved by wearing helmets, I have yet to have a friend killed by wearing a helmet. Its like keeping the safety on your gun, its their for your protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookseller View Post
    How about out at Eklutna Lake? Are the rangers gonna prevent me from riding out there without one?

The state laws do not require the driver to wear a helmet but all passengers must have one on when riding. This came strait from a State Trooper/Fish and Game Officer when we were riding at Eklutna a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    The state laws do not require the driver to wear a helmet but all passengers must have one on when riding. This came strait from a State Trooper/Fish and Game Officer when we were riding at Eklutna a few years ago.
    Thanks muddy, while the safety minded side of me says I should be wearing one, I just choose not to when it comes to riding the ATV.

Default 98% of the time

Th only time I don't wear one is while plowing the drive way and street. I would be dead now if I had one one while plowing. The idiots driving on my street think I'm just points! The helmet blocks the side vision necessary to see the idiots coming. Other that this, 100% on the trials.

Dave
    Live life now, or forever wish you did!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by thehappyalaskan View Post
    On my snow machinge wear one all the time
    for warmth and it tends to be differant riding for me
    fast and going somewhere now
    versus nice and slow on my 4 wheeler looking around and dont care if i get there or not before i turn around
    Same with me. I wear one on the snowgo, mostly for warmth. The safety part is a great benefit.

I never wore one on a three wheeler, a 4 wheel atv, or in my Argo.

Default I was the hard head vote!...

I just began wearing one while snowmachining for warmth and to set a better example for my kids, because I make them wear one. I haven't ever worn one on an ATV. My kids must wear one riding a snowmachine or an ATV, although my kids haven't ridden an ATV; I plan on buying my youngest a 4 wheeler next year.

Tim

That sounds like a bunch of hogwash. Your not riding or driving on the streets.