Thread: Moose in 20A

Default Moose in 20A

Wondering if there are any moose to report out of 20A.

Default Not much..

I was up there last weekend. We took the Ferry Trail. In 5 days time, we saw one cow with calf and another cow that was running as if shot out of a cannon. Heard news of a couple of sub-legal bulls up California creek, but never saw them. When we got back to the truck there was a good size bull in the back of a pickup (5 brow tines with narrow spread), but didn't findout exactly where he was shot. There were a lot of hunters up there, and I'm sure most had a similar experience. Sow with three cubs could have sent those moose out of there. Good luck.

Default Nada

Went out to the wood and didn't see anything! No Cow, no calf, and absolutley no bull! Went for sheep as well but a group put pressure on them for two days prior so they were spooked. I think the state still has a cow permit hunt in areas of 20A, Bad idea. Why knock out the breeding population? Seems like it is working though, no moose left.

Default Bummer

Sorry to hear that you didn't see a thing. Planned on heading in around the 20th to see if we could find a bull. You might be right about the cow tags. I would hope not though.

We saw several cows and calves this past week while in 20A. We had already taken a caribou so elected not to make use of our antlerless permits. Didn't see a bull, but it was awful warm and it didn't seem like anything was moving around very much. Also saw a wolf and lots more wolf tracks and bear sign everywhere.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default Bulls

Glad to hear you got your caribou. I'm hoping by the last week of the season it will cool off and get the bulls moving in looking for some action. We'll see. I got the "Bull Magnet" call the other day and going to give it a try. The videos sure make it look easy.

Default No Antlerless In 20a

Gotta check the EO's before you go:

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...lations.orders

Here's the EO for no more Antlerless Moose in 20A Zone 6

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...7/03-04-07.pdf

It's always a good idea to keep tabs on the EO's and bookmark the page so that you can easily reference it. ADF&G is kinda hit/miss in the field when it comes to posting in the affected areas. Just thought you might like the extra "heads up".
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default 20A Yanert Fork

I just hunted my Yanert Fork CUA any bull drawing permit yesterday. Saw nada except for sideways rain. Same this AM.
    Will try again next weekend. I think after seeing how thick it is up there I will try the Bull Magnet routine. I've never really hunted moose and am just fumbling at this, so we'll see. In any event, the colors are alive up there. That alone makes it worth the time and effort!

Default My co-worker has been hunting

parts of 20A for antlerless moose. First trip could have tagged out but decided not to. Too far from truck for one person to deal with. Next trip up nothing. That was last weekend. He had said they were looking to take 400 cows. In that wildlife page up above it said 600 anlterless between august 25 and February 28th. So some bulls might get knocked off, but this time year would be mainly cows and calves. I might head up there later in the year or the new year. Too much going right now plus seems like last year, just a little warm up that way still. Good luck to all.

I will take the colors and the smell of Fall anytime. with luck we see game, with gods grace we have a safe trip. Leaving at 0600 for the Mighty Tanana and 2 weeks. Let the Normandy invasion begin.. lol Good luck and safe trip to all you . Jeff

Default took one and saw 2

I lucked into a fork horn off Ferry, saw a 60'' monster being taken out as well. We were actually caribou hunting, wife got her 1st bou, good trip.

Default no luck

I just spent the weekend out in the Yukon Training Area and only seen 2 cows and a calf. I talked to one guy who said he got a bull on Sat afternoon but I didn't see any. I hunted the pipeline all day Sat and on Sun morning and after being wet and cold for my second day decided I would be lazy and road hunt alittle bit and maybe get lucky.

By the way someone dropped their porcupine hide in the middle of the road on the YTA. I seen it while driving yesterday.

Default Son Took a Nice Cow!

Same across the unit I guess......... slow because of the heat. Great camping weather though, just not great for hunting. Would see moose for about the first hour and a half of the day, and the last hour or two. Other than that, nothing(Drank alot of Beer!!!) I know of 3 more cows and one 45 inch taken in the Blair Lakes area, and that is it. Lots of Griz, Blackie, and wolf sign around! Quit a few grouse too......... Good luck during the second half!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"