Thread: Fishing recommendation

Default Fishing recommendation

I live in Idaho and am an avid fisherman. I will be in Anchorage the week of Sept 17 - 20 working and would like to get out and fish while I am there.

I would love to catch some silvers but understand that my timing is not good for that. I'd like to just go out on my own and fish the stream/rivers in the area if not for silvers then for 'bows or dollies.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Will you be renting a vehicle, and how much time will you have? Are you mainly restricted to evenings, or will you have a full day in there somewhere?

If you're stuck with the immediate Anchorage area, you can catch some rainbows either on Ship Creek above the dam or possibly in the upper reaches of Campbell Creek. If you try Campbell, be very aware that there are many bears in the area feeding on spawned out salmon.

If you've got a little more time and don't mind driving an hour or two, try Willow Creek to the north for rainbows, or drive down to Whittier to cast from the shore for saltwater silvers. Late September is prime time for silvers in Whittier. Mornings are better, but you can catch them at night as well.

If you can spare an entire day, look at hooking up with a guide for rainbow, dollie, or silver fishing on the Kenai River. If you'd rather go solo, fish from shore for rainbows and dollies (and maybe a silver if you're lucky) on the Russian River. This river is known for crowds, but is nearly deserted this time of year. It is a spectacular place when you have it to yourself.

I will have a car and should have a couple of full days to spend exploring and fishing.

The Whittier thing sounds interesting, I have never saltwater fished from shore before....any tips?

A contact I have up there mentioned Quartz creek, Cooper creek and the Anchor river. Any opinion on those?

Thanks a bunch

Quartz Creek should be awesome for rainbows and dollies. There will also be silvers there, but I am 99% sure that it is closed to salmon fishing. Never fished Cooper Creek before, and the Anchor is a solid 5 hour drive from Anchorage. A decent option, but I'd rather spend 2-3 hours in the car and fish Quartz, the Russian, and the Kenai instead.

I just looked at the regs. Looks like Quartz and Cooper creeks close on Sept 14 to all fishing.

Default Not entirely correct

Quote Originally Posted by twozero View Post
    I just looked at the regs. Looks like Quartz and Cooper creeks close on Sept 14 to all fishing.
    Quartz Creek upstream of the Sterling Highway bridge closes September 14, however, most fishing occurs below the bridge, along the highway and is open. (page 45; 2007 Alaska Sport Fishing Regulations Summary; Southcentral).

Silver fishing is closed in Quartz Creek.

Thanks, AFG.

Any advice on where to find some silvers?

Default If you are willing...

to drive north a ways you can get silvers, 'bow and dollies out of the mouth of the Little Willow (check the regs). Dollie fishing in any tributary of Kenai lake usually produces well; the Russian tip is a great one due to the lack of people, beautiful drive and scenery and abundance of fish. Anywhere along campbell creek into October has produced a few fish for me but that was about 10 years ago; not sure if that holds true today. Whittier is also good; try #4&5 mepps, orange vibrax or if you're on the fly try hot pink streamers.

Local lakes in Anchorage will give you some action, the best times are early morning and late evening but you can use the tried and true Pautzkee's Fireballs under a bobber from the docks during the day if you get desperate.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32