Thread: Halibut & Light Sticks???

Default Halibut & Light Sticks???

Has anyone ever heard of attaching light sticks (or "Glow Sticks") to a halibut line? I heard that you can attach them on the spreader bar, and it is supposed to attract the Halibut better.

I'm going to do some fishing this weekend, and was wondering if this is worth a try?

Thanks!

Default glow sticks

I tried them out this summer for halibut. They didn't seem to increase our catch any. However, they didn't shy away from the hook with the glow stick either. All sounds good in theory,but the verdict is still out on whether they are worth messing with.
    BK
    Let us know what you think when you get a chance.

I've tried the flashing lights and they haven't seem to have made much of a difference.

Where you go is generally much more important than what you present. That said, it's always a good idea to mix up your presentation, ie fishing bait on one rod, and trying a variety of jigs on another.

Default Ditto

It's just another eye catching gimmic that catches the fishermens eye, and not the fish... I was snookered into buying some at the Sportsman show and after a solid weekend fishing, donated them to my sons toy collection. Just another gadget to get wrapped up in your line... I'll stick with the glow twister tail bodies from here on out.

Default Got that right

Quote Originally Posted by barleydog View Post
    It's just another eye catching gimmic that catches the fishermens eye, and not the fish... I was snookered into buying some at the Sportsman show and after a solid weekend fishing, donated them to my sons toy collection. Just another gadget to get wrapped up in your line... I'll stick with the glow twister tail bodies from here on out.
    I've noticed over the years that the old stand-bys remain such because they work. Other things are just eye-catching gimmicks for people rather than fish. I have used the glow sticks both in ice fishing and halibut fishing without any apparent difference in success.

My untrained guess is that it is mostly vibration, shape and smell that cause most fish to bite, not so much color or light- especially at depths.

Then again, a certain color Vibrax may slay the kings or silvers, even in silty water, while another color is ignored.

I dunnow seems to me that it can't hurt. some crabbers use them as well as steelheaders down south and they seem to like them I'd say it's worth a shot.

I've also tried using them with no appreciable difference. Theory is that the light helps attract fish down deep, which sounds plausible.

It's been proven that fish are attracted to light. But you might be better off just hooking a chum container to your anchor rope. I chop up herring and salmon and inject with fish oils. Clip in on my anchor line. I read a research report that showed most halibut come up current (against the tide) and strike your bait. They are apparently attracted to the scent from long distances.

Default Light Sticks

Thanks all for your responses! I guess I won't waste the money on the light sticks. However, I have read that the chuming bag hooked to the anchor does help.

Default chum bag

You should put a hook on your chum bag, it's worth a shot. I've heard of butts caught on the anchor line before. I've also heard of them pulling an anchor out with a chum bag attached.

Not sure if it is legal to put a hook on your chum bag, I'd check with F&G first.

Cool

I have been using the light sticks with a large squid jig (12 long) for the last few years and have had very good success. I use the 1 light sticks by slipping a piece of surgical tubing through the eye of the snap swivel and pushing a light stick through each end of the tubing.