Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to have a new boat built.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Default Going to have a new boat built.

I have been looking at different boat builders I am wanting an aluminum boat built for off shore use in the 24-26' size I want a pilot house boat that will sleep 2 and have a large fishing cockpit and an 8.5'-9' beam. I am considering North River O/S, custom designed Koffler or a Woolridge for mono hulls.

I have been thinking of having a catamaran built also, I have been talking to Maxweld boats in Hebo Oregon. Are there any others around that build aluminum cats that I should look into. I want to take my time and choose the right boat this time.

What ever I get I have a list of features I am looking for self bailing decks, insulated fish boxes, fresh and raw water wash down Etc, Etc.

I just had a boat built 2 years ago a 21' North River Seahawk and now I find I want a bigger boat with a hard cabin. I am selling the NR and taking a healthy loss on it so I want to get it right this time. The NR I have is a great boat but we want a bigger one and well I just can't make it grow.

I fell in love with Alaska this summer and would like to return each summer for 2-3 weeks until I retire that will be in about another 10 years. after retirement I hope to spend a few months each year up here fishing. I really want something I could spend a week or so in some cove somewhere.

I am really interested in pursuing the cat idea but I don't have any experience with them. I have been searching all over the net and just can't find any other manufacturers that make the smaller trailerable sizes. The guy at Maxweld showed me pictures of some of the smaller ones he has made and I like what I see but I really would like to look at one in person. They build mostly big ones and I have seen some of those. If anyone here owns one of the smaller ones or has any first hand knowledge please share your experience with me.
    Mike

If I were to order a 26'X8'6" aluminum pilothouse V-bottom boat,(hopefully in the future) I would go with Seawolf boats built in Burlington, WA. Here is a link to their website
    http://www.seawolfmarine.com/boats/index.html.

I have been around boats for a while now, and their good rugged looks, design, and quality are among the very best. I rode in their 35'x11' this summer and it was probably the nicest boat I've ever been on. I think they will build you anything you want with any options you want. Take a look at the pictures of their 26' and tell me that isn't the best looking boat around. Good luck.

Munson has some nice cats and even sone nice packcat LC's. RiverWild also builds a nice offshore boat.

Default SeaWolf

Wow...those SeaWolf boats are nice... I've seen the price tags on the large, pilot-house North Rivers, so I can't imagine what these are going for! Very nice boats though!

I spoke with Seawolf about 4-6 months ago, the standard 26' is $100k. The list of standard features is on the website. When comparing the Seawolf to a new 27' Seasport or Skagit Orca, the aluminum boat's price is attractive. 'Course, by the time you load your boat with options, trailer, etc, you're probably looking at $130k+. That would be a very nice boat.

Ottercraft makes a nice looking aluminum boat as well, although I prefer the Seawolf. Ottercraft may be worth looking into, here's their website: http://www.ottercraft.com/gallery.htm

Not much to add other than over 8 1/2' beam and your pulling an oversized load, which has restrictions on when you can haul it. Thus I'd highly recomend sticking to the narrower beam.

A 26' X 8 1/2' with a long fishing deck and say twin 150's would be an outstaning offshore fishing boat up here. Just make sure you have enough fuel capacity for longer trips. I'd want at least 150 gallons for a boat that size, and 200 wouldn't hurt. I'd also consider multiple tanks to reduce sloshing when your not needing to carry all that fuel.

Default Having a boat built

As far as having a cat built you might get in touch with Sea State One Marine here in Anchorage. Last time I was there he had two aluminum cats under construction. I have a small cat myself that I had them do some work on. If this works right a picture of my cat should be attached.

Default Aluminum Cats

I've been talking to John Armstrong about building a cat. They make 25x9.5 and 28x11.5 as standards but can stretch them to fit what you need. A 25 with twin 150 OB's will run about $145k. The price goes way up on the 28. Trailer for the 25 is another $7.5k. He offers all kinds of power options including diesel I/O's if you want. A friend has a 25 with OB's and it's a well built boat. There are several Armstrong charter boats in Seward to check out construction details if you're down there. Saltwater Safari's Phatom is one. Trailering is a problem with the 9.5 beam so monohull is the way to go if you need to avoid the hassle. Check out http://www.armstrongmarine.com/

Default Not for nothing but...

it looks like a Glaciercraft to me. Might save a buck and get it built right here in Anchorage.

There is an outfitt in Juneau that builds Fiberglass catamarans that might be worth a look. Check out Blackfeather Boats as long as your comparison shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    I've been talking to John Armstrong about building a cat. They make 25x9.5 and 28x11.5 as standards but can stretch them to fit what you need. A 25 with twin 150 OB's will run about $145k. The price goes way up on the 28. Trailer for the 25 is another $7.5k. He offers all kinds of power options including diesel I/O's if you want. A friend has a 25 with OB's and it's a well built boat. There are several Armstrong charter boats in Seward to check out construction details if you're down there. Saltwater Safari's Phatom is one. Trailering is a problem with the 9.5 beam so monohull is the way to go if you need to avoid the hassle. Check out http://www.armstrongmarine.com/
    Has your friend found any draw backs to the cat compared to a similar sized mono hull? I really don't know anything about cats. From everything I have read and heard about cats they seem to be better than a mono for handling rough water but I am wondering if there are any draw backs.
    Mike

You can Just buy my 27' aluminum pilothouse cat and save a couple bucks.

Default Cat Impressions

Gundog - I was impressed with how the boat rode in a chop though the usual 3' chop from the day breeze in Katchemak Bay is all I've had the opportunity to witness. I was worried about the tunnel slamming in big seas and he said it didn't seem to pound in bigger stuff but don't know how big he's had it in. It's a really stable platform fishing halibut. Can't say I found any serious drawbacks or heard any from him for coastal cruising/day boat fishing where I can stay out of the really tough stuff.

I go out of my way to stay out of the big stuff but I would like the piece of mind knowing my craft is as safe as a mono hull. I have heard a little about hull slap in the tunnel but I am not sure if that would be any different than being in a mono hull of the same size slamming down from one wave to the next. It looks like it is hard to get info on this because not a lot of people have that type of boat.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Snagger View Post
    You can Just buy my 27' aluminum pilothouse cat and save a couple bucks.

Snagger,
    How does your boat's performance compare to a mono hull? What are the other advantages/ Thanks, Rob
    1989 24' Custom Almar, 460 3-stage SS Kodiak jet

My cat cuts a head sea up to about 4' without any pounding at 25 mph. the tunnel is higher than most cats. Rolls a little at particular angles of following seas. Rolls like a fat girl in a waterbed drifting beam to the wind in anything 3' plus. Will take 5'-6' steep wind pushed whitecaps decently, will launch out of the water occasionly when you hit that bigger set of 7'-8's, at least it comes back down without requiring spinal adjustment later. I have provided on board entertainment by launching off the ferry wake once in awhile. Planing speed is higher than I like at about 18-20 depending on load but it is a displacment cat. Takes awhile to get used to banking the wrong way in turns and running with the bow in the air, took me a few trips to figure it out. Hull shape is similar to the Glacier bay cats, alot different ride than a planing hull cat like a Procat. On the hull truth website there are alot of cat threads to read. threw in a couple pics of her running and the tunnel while sitting at the dock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That does sit up high. What type of motor/hp do you run and what is the fuel burn/mpg. I am not looking to buy as I already have a boat that I need to unload, just wanting to learn more for my next purchase down the road.
    1989 24' Custom Almar, 460 3-stage SS Kodiak jet

Twin 150 Yamahas, will run 230 + miles with five fat boys at 30 mph and use 160 gallons or less.

Smile 24' Power cat

I have a 24' aluminum cat which started out as a Sea Skimmer. I fish it 150 days a year on the West Coast of Vancouver Island. This last year I put over 1,200 hours on the twin Yamaha 115 outboards. I'll try and get a picture attatched. I call it my Seafood Assault Vessel because it flat gets the job done, and the ride is comfortable in most any seas. Nice bow area to store and haul prawn and crab pots. I've got Parkinson's so I really appreciate the walk around pilot house and stable fishing platform. I'm spending the winter shopping for a larger(28') aluminum fishing bost. So far, looking at Cold Water, and Pacific. Anybody had any experience in the sea handling of these or Norvelle or Tuff Boat? Want a cat but willing to consider a wide, tuff deep vee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast