Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Describe your hunting partner

Default Describe your hunting partner

Choose a single word that best describes your partner, or what you look for in a partner. Then, tell us why that is important to you. Maybe even tell us a bit about that person. I'll start.

CONSISTENT
    I had an old partner who was the most consistent individual. He consistently puts others first, works hard in camp, takes care of his gear (and yours), makes good choices, solves problems, finds solutions, and is positive in his demeanor and attitude.
    I am blessed to get to hunt with him again this year. He is such an asset. I am really excited that he is going with us this year and am looking forward to our reunion.

What about you folks?

Attitude. No whining

Right now I have three hunting partners, my brother and a good friend and my newest partner, my 14 year old daughter. All help each other in camp and in the field. Take things as they come and realize that we can't do anything about the weather, etc and none complain about things we don't have control over. Or even things we do. All cooperate to insure a good hunt for all. And they are SAFE hunters insuring wapons are taken care of and safe gun handling is always a priority. And usually they are up first in the morning and have the coffee open before I get up

Strong
    As in "Strong" back and weak mind.

Thumbs up Huntin' buddy

RELIABLE! Under all of the conditions and situations. Whether planning a hunt, shooting at the range, field dressing in the dark, camp help, packin' meat, breakdowns, you name it. He's always right there in the heart of it and dealing with whatever's thrown our way. Level headed AND common sense. Can't say enough about the guy.

Default Dependable

My new partner (jrt34) does, and can do, what he says he can do. My partner is also positive, has good work ethic, is safety conscious, a good sport, team player, head strong (wonít wuss out and whine if we donít see game behind every bush), and reliable.

Since 1990 two out of three of my partners have reflected these traits. I have also had a previous partner that was the polar opposite of these virtues; maybe it would be interesting to start a thread about partners that didn't work out/weren't compatable too!

Tim

Default Patient...

I have a buddy who basically was raised shooting rifles and hunting in the mountains. I on the other hand had only been around shotguns and day hunts. Needless to say, he has taught me alot about rifles, shooting technique, hunting methods, and everything that goes with it. I always try to do my best at what he is teaching me but sometimes you don't get it on the first try, and he is super about helping me out. I haven't once had him get mad at me because I didn't know something, but our hunting journeys have all been learning experiences.

I have two hunting partners. Both are level headed, safety minded, and are the type you'd want around if ever a real crisis was unfolding.

There are huge differences between them though. One of them makes me laugh so much that it is hard to stay quiet in the field. The other is so determined and attentive that he is destined for greatness in his life as well as in his hunts.

Both are exceptional good company in and out of the field.

Can't do it in a single word.

My kids have been my favorite hunting partners, willing to learn, willing to work, willing to just get the job done no matter what. Sometimes the people we take hunting (and I consider taking new people hunting to be one of the most important aspects to the future of hunting) don't know much about it. It's up to us to teach them. So I guess in that respect we can't always choose the best hunting partner. I have gotten more joy in hunting with my kids than with any other partner. Once had a friend and his son come out to hunt with us, and we all hunted together, two families...and that was also really a great experience. The kids really motivated each other and shared the workload...and the fun. There was always laughter around the campfire, card games, very enjoyable hunt.

Like Soggy, I've got hunting friends who differ greatly in some respects but they are still great partners.

Default Hunting partners

A good hunting partner is soo hard to find. I lost mine as he moved back down to the lower 48 last year and I have been without. This year I will be hunting with a young buck who is a rookie to new to NW Alaska. We will see how things go but I am optimistic! Hunting in this part of the states puts you in all kinds of potentially bad situations and a good partner makes it more predictable.

I look for 2-3 things in a partner.

Common Sense in the backcountry. The ability to make a tough situation better.

No Whining. There is nothing worse than a guy who gripes about the weather, cold or the?????

Going to be there. He has your back and will yank your butt out of trouble when needed.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet for Rafts, Canoes and Camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    907-442-3944
    Kotzebue, Alaska

Default Tony

My word for Tony would be "Savvy". He knows what he's doing so I don't have to worry about him or babysit him. A lot of our hunting "together" ends up being us going opposite directions and not seeing each other again until evening. I know that if something happened to me, I can count on him to do the right thing whatever that may turn out to be. And when we hunt hunt together, we work well together and not against each other. I'm just as happy when he scores as when I score, and vise versa.

He's a pleasure to have in camp as when he sees something that needs to be done, he does it, and always does at least his own share of the butchering and other messy chores.

The only drawback is he has a strange attraction to water. He's gone swimming a couple times over the years of hunting together and not on purpose. I even saw him disappear completely underwater in water that wasn't over 18 inches deep, not once but twice in about five seconds. I know it was that shallow because my boat was on the bottom as the tide had dropped. He didn't want me to piggyback him 50 yards to the beach, so he was going to climb in my kayak and have me pull him. I hadn't shown him my secret method of getting down from my big boat into the kayak tho. He stood in it, holding on to the side of the big boat, then just let go and tried to sit down. WRONG ANSWER. He flipped it so fast if I'd have blinked, I'd have missed it. I was standing there wondering how he'd completely disappeared when the water wasn't even up to my knees, then he breached like a whale, shot out of the water and tried to catch his balance but couldn't quite and......then he was gone again... This time he came up on his hands and knees first and stood there cussing a blue storm. Did I mention it was freezing out and there was a foot of snow on the ground? I have to admit, I was biting my tongue to keep from even smiling and finally had to turn my head as it was an impossible task. He came out of the cabin in dry clothes and said, "You know, that was really dumb. There's a pair of chest waders in the fish hold.".

I guess I'll have to allow him one fault. It's good for entertainment value any way!

Default Partners

the two of them are best summed up in one word as "ANIMALS"

They have tenacity, determination and devotion, intelligence and common sense. I'm truly a lucky guy to have them as my wingmen; best friends that a guy could have.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default good so far

I have enjoyed each attempt to describe your "ideal" partner in one word. This is kind of like those english class assignments in High School that we hated. But now that it is voluntary it is a lot more fun.
    Oh my gosh Twodux did you paint a picture! I laughed til the tears flowed. You need to keep writing if you have more stories like that. Jim McManus step aside!
    Bushrat, you are in a place I have been for years with my own kids. I have also spent a lot of time the last 15 years or so with new hunters, and out of state hunters, in addition to my kids. Your word is the one you said, and said it well. WILLING. They have to want to try. Seems like that is all we ask. We will show them, teach them, mentor them, but then it is up to them to do it. Good job.
    Now folks on to round 2. Remember the "rules" (which don't count for beans) and give us a word that sums it up. Carry on.

Default Missing

My hunting partner is currently serving in Afganistan. So right now the word would be missing and it is not as much fun to hunt with out him. If he was here the word would be dependable. You can always depend on him to help out and he is always read to go.

Mark

My moose hunting partner this year is bigger, stronger, and uglier than I am.

A real nice guy, he is, too. We're going to have a great time out there.

My caribou hunting partner this year is my wife. She's much smaller, stronger, and prettier than I am.

A real nice gal, too.

Default Hunting Partner

Hunting partner must be ruggedly handsome, a good listener, able to swing an axe without a shirt for long periods of time, and like the movie Brokeback Mountain.

Please those interested let me know!!
    Marc Theiler

Thumbs down Now now...

This isn't a dating site, is it?
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Unemployed

Default Experienced.

Experienced.
    There is nothing worse than going on a hunt, climb, hike... regardless without an experienced individual.
    Lurker.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Experienced.
    There is nothing worse than going on a hunt, climb, hike... regardless without an experienced individual.
    Yes, there is.

Going on a hunt, climb, hike, etc with someone who is "experienced" can be rather boring.

Hunting Partners in the past:

Drunk and selfish. I havn't hunted with them in years because of many more unlisted reasons.

I've been looking for a reliable and consistant hunting partner ever since.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast