Thread: New to trapping!!!

Default New to trapping!!!

I found a spot today where I saw around 8 beavers between 3 ponds/creek. I want to know if I should trap them??? Not wanting to make money off hides , I would like to make something or just tan the hides. Anyway any insite would be great.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

As long as you have permission to be on the land and it's legal to trap there, why not?

Default Its public land!

Season starts NOV. I could use a little advice on where to trap them in the snow and ice??

Default Good information

If your looking for some good advice and information stop over at Alaska Range Trapping Supply and talk with Bob Green. His phone number is 376-5873.

I always love new trappers that start off trapping beavers. Its a hoot to watch them skin and flesh there first one. Good luck man, your gona have a blast. I hope you catch 3 XXXL's the first day. ;-)

Default The cash part

Dont be skiddish about wanting to make money off your furs I know I do. We all love to trap but a $3.15 a gal. for gas, were all in it to at least break even. If you dont even break even, the wife gets irritable by the end of the season financing your adventures. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    If your looking for some good advice and information stop over at Alaska Range Trapping Supply and talk with Bob Green. His phone number is 376-5873.
    DITTO! I grew up with Bob's kids from about 4th grade on up, even dated Becky, lol. Bob is a welth of information, you couldnt go wrong asking him about trapping.

What does a good size beaver go for now days? Anyone have some recent hide predictions on prices?

Thanks

$15-$30 depending on size and quality.

Default Thanks for all the info!

I just orderd some supplies and hope to start scouting my next two weeks off. I read some where that putting your Mink boxes out and getting them used to it by placeing bird feed or cracked corn is a good idea. ANyone have thought on that?? Also My ideal Prize catch is a lynx. I know people have secrect spots and tactics but should I try to target them my first season?? Well thanks again for info and good luck to all trappers/ hunters/fisherman this winter. Safe journeys to all.

Mink are flesh eaters, I don't think they will be attracted to corn or bird seed...they may be attracted to rodents that come to feed the seed in your cubby. My suggestion would be to bait with fish or a bird carcass. As for lynx, I have had good success by smearing beaver castor on a large spruce tree 18" above the ground and placing a trap underneath the smear. The lynx love to rub their faces on the castor and will work the set an step into your trap.

Mac