Thread: Fisherman's Choice fined

Default Fisherman's Choice fined

This might old new for some but it has been along time waiting ,He was still doing this from 2000-03 when I was guiding ,Troopers said they were waiting to catch the owner in the act took 6 years but looks like they did.

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/92...-9144229c.html
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default wonderful news

Cool! There are a lot of people I saw do illegal tactics this season and would love to see them in jail. I will be doing my part to help out next year by bringing my video camera and volunteering some time to video offenses.

Our resources are already becoming too limited in key areas and to have people harm precious wildlife unnecesarily is uncalled for.

Bah.

The punishment doesn't fit the crime...as always.

What is 10K to a guy who receives 10 times that to break the law?

What is 30 days in jail unless they fall during the runs?

There is a reason that these guys take chances... it hurts, but not too much, to be "punished."

How about removing his guide license? How about offering next SEASON in jail? How about not selling him a hunting/fishing license?

Pirates suck. They always have, they always will.

Default I agree

I think as a guide they should hit him where is hurts. Suspend his license for a season. He admitted to knowingly breaking the law. If I break the law as a fisherman or a hunter I could lose my license for a year.

6 years to catch him and then it is just a slap on the wrist with a "Don't do it again" clause.... Pathetic.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    6 years to catch him and then it is just a slap on the wrist with a "Don't do it again" clause.... Pathetic.
    Yep, Pathetic! Especially when he knew AND admitted that what he was doing was wrong. He's basically saying, what the heck I'm doing it anyways. If this guy had a pattern of doing this (which for 6 yrs, it sounds like he did) and was obviously not going to quit anytime soon, then they (the law) should've stepped it up a notch. This guy needs his boat and guide license taken for good. And no personal fishing license for a couple of years. This wasn't a "first time, oops, sorry officer I made a mistake, and get a ticket for it", situation. He knew exactly what he was doing.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 09-07-2007 at 10:52. Reason: Language

Just keep spreeding the word about who not to go with. I think one unhappy client does more damage than the good the 5 happy ones you sent home. In time he will need another job-there will be no $$ in him guiding.

Default fine vs charge

I know the frustration of a person who you know is breaking the law consistenly but one cannot catch them. When one does catch them the courts can only rule on what they are charged with and the amount of fine and actions can only be to that charge if there is no prior history of crimminal acts. So a 10,000 dollar fine is pretty heavy for this charge.

Now in the future if he is caught again he faces more trouble and the potential for greater time.

This is fairly common problem in wildlife law enforcement. The trick is that unless he tows the line people will be looking for him and reporting him again and he will be less adapt at getting away with it.

Default more would have been better

I agree, a heavier penalty would have been better. Hopefully this takes a stab at his reputation and hurts the number of people booking with him.

Default ha ha ha

He's been a reeel rectal spincter on the deshka for many years

Thumbs down

fishermaan choice, can you believe this guy considers himself the best guide in the valley,just read his lic plate,{BEST GUIDE}the frontersman thinks he's great also,they vote him in year after year as top guide.....wow he also runs several boats on the little su....turn him in every chance you get...

Default here's a thought

Before you all decide to send a lynch mob after him, maybe it should be considered that there are plenty of photos on the web, and this forum for that matter, that depict individuals holding rainbows, steelhead and kings out of the water for pics in waters were the regs say you can't remove them from the water. Funny how everyone likes to point the finger. Not saying what he did was right, but how many tickets would everyone here rack up if the guppy and bunny cops followed them for 6 years. Can't wait for all the "NOT ME" responses. Just a little food for thought.

Default sillyness

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydog View Post
    Before you all decide to send a lynch mob after him, maybe it should be considered that there are plenty of photos on the web, and this forum for that matter, that depict individuals holding rainbows, steelhead and kings out of the water for pics in waters were the regs say you can't remove them from the water. Funny how everyone likes to point the finger. Not saying what he did was right, but how many tickets would everyone here rack up if the guppy and bunny cops followed them for 6 years. Can't wait for all the "NOT ME" responses. Just a little food for thought.
    I witnessed a number of violations this year. I would love to see all those jokers fined heavily and not allowed to harm more wildlife, but that doesn't mean commercial operations should be nailed hard!

So zero enforment is better than going after some key players?

Also, Fisherman's Choice is a commercial operation. They should be setting an example of how respectful sportsman operate - not taking money to committ illegal acts. A lot of people get their start in a sport by hiring a guide to learn the basics. If someone flys up to AK and books with this joker, what do they learn? Up here in big bad AK it is so wild we dont live by rules and you should do the same!

Wildlife first! Lawbreakers should be fined, heavily!

"Mommy, the other kids steal candy, dont spank me for doing it too"!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydog View Post
    I've never seen a picture of a realeased king, anchor river,deep creek, or ninilchik river steelhead on this forum, or spring spawning closure rainbow trout out of the water.

Glad they got this guy maybe others will learn a lesson that your are not suppose to take kings out of the water if they are gonna be released. Its really not that hard to avoid especially on a stream like clear creek, here I am a few weeks ago, didn't think it was a king until it was almost on the bank, note how the fish is in the water and its a good picture.

(felt bad about landing it once I realized it was a king they weren't even suppose to be in the river I caught it in and I was silver fishing, its weird they don't turn red here)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.