Thread: 375 savage

Default 375 savage

Anyone know anything about the Savage 375 H and H? Stainless w/ synthetic stock. The bolt is laser etched "alaskan guide" I believe.
    controlled round feeding? Their web page doesn't say much.

Wow! Haven't even heard that rifle mentioned in nearly a year! That was the big hullaballoo around here a bit over a year ago. It seemed like Savage brought that model out in hopes of luring customers from Winchesters' base shortly after the New Haven closing.

Not sure if it went over too well as I haven't even heard anything about it lately. From what I recall reading on this site (the extent of what I know about the rifle), some were excited at the prospect, at least when it was first talked about, but some were less than enthusiastic.

If you look at some of the back pages of this forum you'll find plenty of reading on the subject I'm sure.

Dave

P.S.- Welcome aboard!
    Last edited by AKWannabe; 09-07-2007 at 07:19. Reason: added PS

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean View Post
    Anyone know anything about the Savage 375 H and H? Stainless w/ synthetic stock. The bolt is laser etched "alaskan guide" I believe.
    controlled round feeding? Their web page doesn't say much.
    Probably the most desirable feature of it is the lazer etching. Oh, maybe I'm being too critical, it is a neat light weight package. In concept it is quite a package. No it is not controlled round feed, in fact it's extraction/ejection system would scare me away from it as a serious duty rifle. It of course, by it's design and caliber is for up close, rough and tumble hunting of the big ol' boys. It's feed system is not reliable or durable enough to be so classified, in my opinion. I had another occasion here recently to see a Savage bolt gun in action again. The Savage barrel nut can and has become loose, this can and has caused headspace problems with the rifle which generally leads to either misfires or primers backing out when fired, or both. When a primer backs out, it leaks high pressure gas out around it. The Savage lock up and gas seal is effective when this happens but the gas pushes the little side saddle extractor out. It slides outward on a milled slot, held in place by only a spring, plunger and a small detent in it's underside. It just moves outboard until it hits the sidewall of the receiver, and can easily be pushed back into it's correct position once the bolt is removed from the rifle, but I would think getting the wounded animal to cooperate during this minor repair would be the difficult part. I've seen this on about five or six Savage 110 rifles, some with headspace problems but a couple with no idication of anything wrong, no blown primers, the extractor just slid sideays. Now when this happens the spent cartridge case stays in the chamber. Once the extractor is correctly positioned, closeing the bolt will then allow normal extraction of the spent round.

This is likely only on some guns. You could try this on your Savage at home, if you put your thumb over the extractor and slide it outward, the detent in the underside of the extractor is too shallow. Don't slide it more than 1/8" or this will result in launching the tiny spring and plunger if you push it too far. Keep the thumb over the extractor to prevent this.

I know you will hear from many Savage owners who say they have had no problems and that is certainly well and good, but for me if a design has a weak point I can bring it out. (They call me Murphy for a reason.) FOr the price of the gun, it is actually a good buy. I don't know why Savage continues with the way they do things, cost too much to change I guess, but it seems a simple fix could be had. To be quite honest I've seen more problems with the Winchester M70 rifles in the past 10 years it was in production than on a Savage, that however was quality control rather than design problems.

I have mentioned this to three Savage owners and their response is that they have never heard of problems. I then ask them to remove the bolt and I'll show them what I mean............None of these three Savage owners could get the bolt from the rifle. So the Savage "Alaska Guide" gun is the perfect gun for some folks.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I've got a Savage Alaskan Guide .375 H&H. Mountain View Sports had them on sale last Thanksgiving for $449. I bought one, figuring I couldn't go wrong for that price.

I mounted a 2-7x Nikon scope with Warne Quick Release rings. The steel bases are low enough that I can clearly see the iron sights when the scope is removed. And, as advertised, the scope returns to zero when it is removed and reinstalled.

The trigger (non-Accutrigger model) is adjustable, and once I lightened the pull and took out most of the creep, I was able to shoot the rifle much better. The rifle shoots the 260gr Accubonds and Hornady 300gr Interbonds well. Both bullets will group at an inch at 100 yards when I do my part.

My only real complaint with the rifle is the stock. It's pretty flimsy and cheaply made. The lightweight rifle certainly gets your attention when it goes off, so I swapped the factory hard rubber recoil pad with a Limbsaver model. The Limbsaver makes a noticeable difference in felt recoil, but the stock is still pretty lousy.

This is the only Savage rifle I have owned. It's a bit homely looking, and the stock is less than ideal, but it shoots well. At the price I paid, though, I guess I can't complain too much.

Murphy, we must have been posting at the same time. Thanks for the information about Savage rifles. I will keep an eye on the barrel nut on my rifle....the only Savage in the safe.

Default 375 savage

wallyworld wants considerably more than that for the rifle so based on murphy's evaluation its probably not that great a deal. life's too short for
    headspace and extractor problems. thank you.

Question

I have been looking at getting a 375H&H and looked at the Savage (because of the price) as well. Thanks for this info. Yah, headspace and extractor problems aren't my idea of "reliable out-of-the-box", even if it's just a few guns. There's doubt now... I have 2 friends with Savage 338's and one guy has had nothing but problems with it, while the other loves his. Go figure. Since I cannot afford a custom order rifle, then what (in your opinion) would be a good consideration for a 375H&H if Savage isn't highly recommended? Rem? Ruger? CZ? Used Winch? Preferrably synth/stainless and R/Handed... If I just hijacked the thread, I apologize. Thanks guys...

I don't think they are a good deal at all. For one, they are ugly. The stock looks and feels like crap. Also has a blind magazine. HUH? If someone threw out an extra benjamin and change, they'd could walk away with the new 375 Ruger and have a better rifle in the Ruger itself than compared to the Savage. Just my opinion.

While surfing the Ruger website, I looked at the Ruger Alaskan/Hawkeye in 375 Ruger. Have heard just a little so far about these guns and the caliber, but what I have heard has been pretty good. I have a couple of MK77 Rugers and can't really complain for what they've done for me. I like them. I am a fan of Model 70's, but not too sure on how to get one new, if that's possible. I've heard that they're being re-produced by another outfit, but I'm not positive who that is. I prefer a hinged floor plate as well, not a big fan of the hidden magazine. Like I said before, I too considered a Savage, but mainly because of the price. A few more bucks for reliability and peace of mind is what I think is in order for me now. Any thoughts on the 375H&H in Browning or Remington XCR? Thanks...

Default 375 etc.

tried the ruger on and really liked it, but then i checked and there wasn't a box of ammo in town while everybody had 375 h and h. yeah i can make my own or order it, but......kinda like buyin' a new truck and havin' to refine your own gas before ya drive it.....

Question

tried the ruger on and really liked it, but then i checked and there wasn't a box of ammo in town while everybody had 375 h and h. yeah i can make my own or order it, but......kinda like buyin' a new truck and havin' to refine your own gas before ya drive it.....
    Yah, looks like I'm gonna have to get back into reloading. I about lost my lunch when I saw what the Federal 338WM ammo was going for a month or so ago. Jeesh!!.... And it's gonna get worse... So with that said, maybe 375Ruger wouldn't be so bad if reloading has to be done...
    With the shorter barrels on the new AK'n/HWK-I, what's the performance been and how "forgiving" is it as far as reloading? Is it a finicky load? Do you or anyone else know? Thanks..

Hell, Wal-Mart carries the 375 Ruger ammo as well as the rifles, too. You live in the bush? Finding the ammo is easy, or was for me; I just refuse to pay that kind of money when I can reload for way cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Hell, Wal-Mart carries the 375 Ruger ammo as well as the rifles, too. You live in the bush? Finding the ammo is easy, or was for me; I just refuse to pay that kind of money when I can reload for way cheaper.
    Brass and Bullets can be shipped to the bush and you could stock up on powder and primers on an annual trip to the big town. Handloading the 375 Ruger will save 60-75% over factory ammo.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default 375 etc.

you're absolutely correct about handloading-no argument there. i used to mine the a.n.g range and cast my own ACP. (brass was free of course) my tumbler was a small fan with one blade cut off bolted to a plastic ice cream tub that i suspended from the garage collar ties with bunji cord. for tumbling matter i used kitty litter (no clumps). i could load a box of 50rds for about a dollar and a half. 4 gr of red dot and my own swc and i could punch the middle out of a navy "f" target at 25 yds all day with a 1911. anyways, i was thinking 375 h and h 'cause of what i read here, i.e. commonality, versatility, lotsa punch and range etc, not to mention tried and true. i hate new. if the '06 had the punch and reach for bear etc. i'd use it. saw some nice stuff on the MRC site. might be worth making the down payment, waiting a bit and getting
    one of their tack drivers (with crf). oh by the way, wallyworld sucks. i was lazy and didn't feel like making the trip cross town for dog food. i just read about what they did to the herman boot co. b---ards.