Thread: Haul Road Help Provided / Need Yours First

Default Haul Road Help Provided / Need Yours First

I have noticed that my site in my signature has been visited quite a bit this season as people are getting ready to go hunting. I built the site to answer questions by many about our trip out of Kotzebue and provide some detailed information so people can better prepare for their hunts. Now it is a new season and I am thinking about doing the same thing for a Haul Road walk in. I need a little help in this by gathering questions that you would like to know a head of time. I plan on making video of our trip and posting on youtube. I plan to document my pack and everything that went in it, the cloths we will wear and bring. I also plan to document some of the terrain with photos and video. The area I am heading to is well known so secrets will not be exposed but for those that want to know how hard it is, I will hope to solve that problem before you get up there.

If you need to know how detailed I get, check out the site below with all the pictures and information. Thanks

So: What is something that you would like to see pictures of or hear detailed information about.

I dont want to sound negative in my statements but this is my $.02. What ever happened to adventure. So many people want the specific answers or a home depot how to book for every outdoor activity in Alaska. I mean, do what you want with your haul road hunt but the internet is already making everything black and white enough for folks I believe. These types of perspectives and blatant how to info are what I attribute the ever increasing crowds of hunters across our great state. The go here and do this and then do that, and dont forget this, just frustrates me a bit.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Agree

I absolutely agree with you Akcub! Whatever happened to seeking out information on your own? I can understand getting a 'tip' from someone on an area and then going to check it out- but having detailed 'how to' is over the top!!!! IMO

My friends and I did the "walk" two weeks ago and we over prepared! I payed for it and told my friends(Richie), what exactly they needed and how to do it. He was succesfull and happy when he returned. I felt like crap for three or four days beacuse I caried a 40-50lb pack out,(I know), Richie was all smiles. It wasnt fair! I like helping but i felt cheated, they should have learned bye themselves! I give him crap at work.

Here are my reasons: I do what I do because I like to help people out and keep them safer and more prepared. Just think, if the tundra dummies had a little more information before they left there wouldn't have been such a stink going on about that. A lot people use this fourm for information sharing. Akcub you have over 1,014 posts which means you have discussed and probably passed information that might help another hunter. I know your comment was just your opinion. I have mine and that is to try and be the most prepared to have the most enjoyable time possible. Some read books to get tips and some read the internet, I choose to do both. I can't write a book so I choose to write on the internet.

Default thanks for the help

I for one appreciate all the help I can get. I've been in Alaska for two years now but do to issues at work this is my first season of hunting. Do to more work I probably won't get a chance to hunt next season. I am trying to do as much as possible in a very short time. That is why I come on this forum (religiously) to get all the info I can trying to cram as much knowledge in as I can in a very short time. Also as the saying goes "Alaska is a very unforgiving place". I'm all for high adventure and all that but if I can have insight into a place before I go I increase my chances of comming out alive. I could easily just grab my rifle or bow and dive headlong into the bush and hope for the best but that's how people end up dead (self admitted rookie).
    So now for the original reason for this thread: I would like to see a lot of road footage. I haven't been up the haul road yet and I hear the nightmares of flat tires, broken winshields and all that but then others say it's not that bad. By the time your video comes out I will have already been there, I hope. But as of right now I'd feel alot better about going if I had some real "eyes on" for the drive up. Thanks for the help.

I agree with the posting of helpful advice. It prevents people from having very bad experiences. I can see how it may result in some areas seeing more hunters, but they came from somewhere ...someone else is probably glad they left. My opinion (probably worth exactly what you paid for it) is that helpful advice is good but nobody should give away exact spots to go to except when sharing information amongst close friends or hunting partners (not a public forum.) I've had more than one place get overrun with people once news got out ...once by the Fishing & Hunting News too (a rag not worth buying.) A place that I used to hunt in Washington State was like my secret little spot ...nobody around, good peaceful hunting. I found out about it from a guy who grew up in that exact area but didn't hunt anymore. Some Sherlock from the F&H News somehow spotted the area (somebody's parked truck?), explored it, then put it on the front page, maps inside ...from then on it was filled with camo phreaks with big guns, big binoculars and tiny ... well, you know, but they were fools, kept the deer and elk scared out of there, and the place was wrecked for hunting for several years. I don't know why people don't catch on that if they read about it in the F&H News that it means it won't be any good by the time they get there ...like late gold strikers, nothing left but the weeping. Helpful == good. Exact spots == very bad. If a person knows how to be prepared and knows of a general region (a LARGE area) to go to, then they still have to pay their dues to figure out the details, exact ways, and places to hunt ...and success will bring greater joy as a result. Just my 2-bits.

Brian

No one has argued against getting help, what we are saying is the detailed to the "T" list ruins the fun!

Its like knowing how to bake a cake versus buying one from a box.

Somtimes the best way to learn is through making your own mistakes.

Do whatever you want. There is a difference between picking a post from a guy on this forum asking for help about hunting a certain place and taking it to a PM and giving him some help or useful advice on hunting a particular area. This step by step how to stuff does way more harm than good. To use the Tundra dummies as an example is inapplicable, stupid is as stupid does. Some people just dont listen to anyone or care about consequences. A how to hunt the Haul Rd documentary isn't going to help those select few. Yes I have over 1000 posts on this form, because I love hunting and fishing, and I have met some great people on this forum as a result. But that doesn't mean I am gonna lay out a step by step documentary on hunting any specific area I have been. Hunting is hunting, its not a trip to Sandles in the Bahamas with a preset itinerary establised by my travel agent, FWIW this is just my opinion.

Default I agree

I'm with AlaskaCub. Why do people want to take the "Hunt" out of hunting?

I guess my idea was already taken, if you want to know the road youtube has some ok shots of what you might encounter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWrbT...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvLlOZKpwDA

Default "How To Hunting Guide"

For what it's worth, I agree with AlaskaCub and TananaBrian. I'm all for helping someone prepare for their hunt, but to show anyone who accesses the forum where to go may not be a good idea. I keep my spots secret because I've scouted and worked hard to learn them. My best friends know where I hunt and that's it.

My intent with this is not to get out any spots so I think some of these comments are not directed at me and what I want to do but just to people you have incountered. On our Kotz hunt I saw a lot of hunters, residents and non that were not prepared. They spent a lot of money for a hunt of a life time and an Ozark tent was not cutting it. If I could help those have a better experience and not waste money I will do it. There are many books out there that do just what I did and get paid for doing it. I, don't want a dime just the satisfaction to know someone didn't waste money driving 16 hours and had to spend $500 for a flat tire fix when if they knew a little about the road they would have been prepared. The hunting community is a family and I am not going to wish a bad hunting experience any anyone, out of stater or resident. I understand we must all put in our dues and I agree with that but a little help is OK and exact GPS of spots is not my intent. A lot of people have looked at my site and I know have used it to prepare, as BruceB. In the case of my last hunt, I want people to ask the right questions and be prepared for things that could go wrong and don't think it is only happening to them. No exact spots just a helping hand and if you want a How To book, buy one off the shelf, there are many out there.

I understand what you are trying to do and your intentions are good..I think. But I had a long converstion with Snyd while we were sheep hunting this year about the affect the internet has had on hunting. I personally think it has hurt hunting in many ways, especially up here. Information is just too readily available. All a guy has to do is click the search button and theres tons of information out there. What ever happened to motivation and initiative to discover something for the first time, or the experience of the unknown being part of the adventure. So many guys on here want instant info now, and dont do any of the leg work themselves. This is just an observation of mine over the recent years. Hunting shows, store bought videos and hunting websites are as much a part of it as anthing too. This website used to be one in which Alaskan hunters conversed about various topics and gear and anymore its a major information source for new hunters and non-resident hunters. There was no internet when I started hunting in Alaska and though I obviously like the internet, but I would trade it back for how things used to be in a heartbeat.

Default I guess I see it a different way

There have been several times that I have responded to questions (on many internet sites including this one) from out-of-state hunters (one or two from Alaska) who have wanted tips, tricks, answers about regulations all who are thinking about traveling to Texas (some with definate plans) for some hunting or fishing excursion. How is that different from the more organized (a website in this case) version? They still got very specific answers to local or regional geographical areas in pursuit of whatever game they were after. I don't think I dimished the outdoors sports in any way because some guy said thanks for the heads up. In fact, maybe someone really pursued that dream and that person met new friends on that trip. Lots of good outcomes I could think of. Heck I wish all of you could experience Texas the same way I have got a chance to experience your state (with some great advice from many of you by the way)!!

I say keep up the good work.

My 2cents,